Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Bad Samaritan 

Rate this film:
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Bad Samaritan 
Keeping it Light

Post Bad Samaritan

Quote:
Bad Samaritan is a 2018 American thriller film directed by Dean Devlin and written by Brandon Boyce. The film stars David Tennant and Robert Sheehan, with Carlito Olivero, Kerry Condon, and Jacqueline Byers in supporting roles. Sheehan portrays the title character, a valet who burglarizes the houses of the drivers he services, only to discover one of his rich customers (Tennant) is a kidnapper and torturer. It was released in the United States on May 4, 2018.

Sun May 06, 2018 1:59 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Bad Samaritan
I enjoyed the movie in terms of the suspense it creates but it fails in parts where it tries to rely on technology for thrills. David Tennant is menacing and gives a great performance here, the rest of the cast is passable. The ending was satisfactory but it needed more thrills.

6/10

Mon May 07, 2018 1:15 pm
Extraordinary

BAD SAMARITAN

I thought the film overall is fairly forgettable. David Tennant does a decent job playing the sociopath. Sheehan was okay though I found his accent distracting a bit. The film had a few tense moments and a couple jump moments that actually got me so that's something. It was rated R mainly for language so I don't think that helped.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue May 08, 2018 8:05 am
Wallflower

I thought it was a really good thriller. The first half is much stronger than the second half which is very by-the-numbers. The set-up though was really suspenseful. An entertaining flick. Better than one would expect. My only issue is I didn't care for the disturbing animal violence.

8/10 (B+)

Thu May 10, 2018 1:49 am
Extraordinary

This was terrible but I laughed a lot, so I can't say I was ripped off.

Sat May 12, 2018 4:21 am
Forum General

It was enjoyable enough. There were some intense sequences and it was fun while it was going. The lead was incredibly hot, so that made it an even better viewing. ;) It's pretty by the numbers and generic but if you just go with it, you'll enjoy it.

B-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu May 17, 2018 3:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Didn't mind this either. If the second half was stronger this could have easily been a solid B film for me, but it kind of went off the rails a bit too much with all the ridiculous stuff with Tenant's character trying to frame Sheehan's character. I get what they were going for, but it just didn't jell well with the first half of the movie IMO. The performances from Tenant and Sheehan are what really carry it even though the writing for both isn't that great.

C+

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:42 pm
Pure Phase

I enjoyed this quite a bit. David Tennant clearly relishes playing his eccentric, psychopathic role. I found him genuinely eerie. And the storytelling—the low-level thief realizing he is stealing from the wrong house (shades of the underrated The Collector); the Tennant character's use of social media and technology to dismantle the protagonist's life—is involving and even a bit clever at times. It goes downhill in the home stretch, though; the characters deserve a stronger end game than beating each other with shovels in the woods, and the female FBI agent is an annoying and underdeveloped character.

Its pitiful box office and harsh critical notices don't suggest it, but I consider this a modest, but nice rebound for Dean Devlin after a fairly embarrassing directorial debut with Geostorm. He seems far more confident on this smaller scale.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 pm
now we know

The producer-writer-director of Geostorm has made an excellent thriller here. A complete 180. I absolutely love the way it unfolds. Tenant is great. He was also great in Secret Smile, so I knew he could pull off being the villain, and he doesn't disappoint. His American accent is shaky, but otherwise he is never not believable as a fucking psycho. I just love this film. Its inclusion of tech into the plot, plus the way Tenant fucks with people's lives, it's devilishly entertaining. I really recommend it. It's not like a typical flick. It actually felt very much like a British two-part drama serial with its lack of flair and excellent pacing.

B+

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Ha, what a coincidence! We might've watched it at the same time.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

"You have no idea how rich I am." Great line.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 pm
Pure Phase

Magic Mike wrote:
I thought it was a really good thriller. The first half is much stronger than the second half which is very by-the-numbers. The set-up though was really suspenseful. An entertaining flick. Better than one would expect. My only issue is I didn't care for the disturbing animal violence.

8/10 (B+)

If it is any comfort:

Quote:
Cale is obsessed with horses, and in a flashback, we see what is meant to look like Cale as a child beating a horse. Devlin wants to make it clear that not only were no animals harmed in the making of BAD SAMARITAN, no horses were ever even on set. “The horse in the dream is a hundred percent digital, so there’s no horse even remotely injured or was photographed, so I just want to clear the air on that.”

;)

https://www.assignmentx.com/2018/bad-sa ... interview/

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:06 pm
now we know

lol, it was a million miles away from what I would call "disturbing animal violence". You couldn't even see anything. It was like a collage. Digitally-produced horse, foley artist samples, and a boy on a green screen.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I agree. And it is presented so abstractly.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:14 pm
Keeping it Light

Pretty good thriller, kind of a different story too and well acted and carried out for the most part. Its conclusion just isn't all that remarkable and it unnecessarily drags out a bit. But what comes before it is interesting and tasty, without much to pick out that's not making it entertaining to follow. The cat-and-mouse game between Tennant and Robert Sheehan works and delivers some riveting moments. The Latino friend I didn't like so much, but the girlfriend is good. The course of how Tennant's character went from so in control, to finally bowing out just ended up being a bit too simplistic, but other than that it's a well written tale.

B

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:46 am
Wallflower

Algren wrote:
lol, it was a million miles away from what I would call "disturbing animal violence". You couldn't even see anything. It was like a collage. Digitally-produced horse, foley artist samples, and a boy on a green screen.

It's not like I thought it was a real horse. But you can use your imagination. What it's implying is disturbing enough.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:00 am
now we know

C'mon Mike. You're sounding like a snowflake.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]