Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Mudbound 

Rate this film:
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Mudbound 
Wallflower

Post Mudbound

Quote:
Set in the rural American South during World War II, Dee Rees' Mudbound is an epic story of two families pitted against one another by a ruthless social hierarchy, yet bound together by the shared farmland of the Mississippi Delta. Mudbound follows the McAllan family, newly transplanted from the quiet civility of Memphis and unprepared for the harsh demands of farming. Despite the grandiose dreams of Henry, his wife Laura struggles to keep the faith in her husband's losing venture. Meanwhile, Hap and Florence Jackson - sharecroppers who have worked the land for generations - struggle bravely to build a small dream of their own despite the rigidly enforced social barriers they face. The war upends both families' plans as their returning loved ones, Jamie McAllan and Ronsel Jackson, forge a fast but uneasy friendship that challenges the brutal realities of the Jim Crow South in which they live.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:36 pm
Forum General

Post Re: Mudbound
An exceptionally made period drama with some career best performances from Garrett Hedlund and Jason Mitchell. I'll be very interested to see if this can maintain enough steam going into Oscar season, because it definitely deserves the attention. From the gorgeous cinematography to the lavish production design, this is truly the type of old fashioned sweeping Hollywood epic they just don't make anymore and I admire the hell out of it.

B+

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:16 am
Pure Phase

This WWII-era drama, charting the mercurial fortunes of two families (one white, one African American) living on the same Mississippi farm, is an absolutely devastating and fascinating film. It contains no less than seven towering performances and profoundly earns every devastating blow and quiet triumph of the human spirit. Wow.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:28 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Original review:

Quote:
This movie is inevitably going to get awards buzz when it is picked up and released later this year. Set both during and immediately after WWII, it's a sprawling Southern epic that tackles racial tensions between two families in Mississippi who live on the same farm land. It's a great premise but I actually only found this 'good' rather than 'amazing' like most of the critics seem to be saying already. It's very flawed and would have benefitted from losing roughly 30 minutes or so. The best part of the film is Jason Mitchell, who is absolutely wonderful and heartbreaking here, and should get a Best Supporting Actor nomination. Garrett Hedlund also delivers what might be a career best performance and the two of them are great anchors for the storyline. Every time they are on screen the movie soars. Unfortunately I didn't think the other plotlines worked as well. Carey Mulligan gives a lovely performance but her character doesn't really amount to much, and Jason Clarke is underused as the farm owner. Mary J. Blige is good but I don't think she was award worthy or anything - it's still a strong debut. I thought Jonathan Banks's racist grandfather character was over the top. The movie builds to an effective yet somewhat over-the-top climax, and I'm still not entirely sure it is earned. I also thought the voiceover made sense given what happens later in the film, but it got somewhat overbearing. I think this could be really fantastic if it's cleaned up a little bit before it gets a proper release. It's still more than worth checking out though for Mitchell because, wow, he's really brilliant in this movie. B

Anyways, I saw this at Sundance in January and am not sure if it's been altered since then. It's good but already massively overrated, and the Oscar hype around Mary J. Blige is a joke. The only award worthy performance is from Jason Mitchell.

And considering the Netflix launch last weekend amounted to ZERO buzz amongst general audiences I doubt it will be a big part of the awards conversation this year, no matter how many covers of The Hollywood Reporter Netflix buys.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:07 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]