Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Justice League 

Rate this film.
A 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
D 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
F 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

Justice League 
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Justice League
That Batman scene in DOJ UE with the slaves ( :roll: ) and the two cops is easily the scariest Batman has ever been.

So that’s...something?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

David wrote:
I tend to agree. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, particularly in its extended form, is a very interesting and stylish movie. I almost see Snyder as a victim of the DC Extended Universe. ;) His overarching vision is flawed, perhaps too sprawling and morose, but also rich in numerous respects. He gave us a cool, scary Batman in Dawn of Justice, for one. His game plan feels so compromised in Justice League, with the forced, tone-deaf, out-of-nowhere bonhomie (super pals! brunch!) and truncated storytelling.

Snyder got pretty much fucked over IMO. Everything I've been hearing so far seems to point to Warner Bros basically throwing him under the bus even though BvS is the movie they wanted him to make, because before he was working on a proper MOS sequel. He is definitely an ambitious director who just tried to do the best he could with what he had at the time. Justice League reeks of studio interference and now that it's underpeforming they are stuck in a really awkward place. I'll say this though, I'd definitely pay good money to see that Synder cut now. I know there's a petition going around that's getting quite a bit of traction and while I'm not expecting much to come from it a part of me does hope we'll see it.

Jmart wrote:
That Batman scene in DOJ UE with the slaves ( :roll: ) and the two cops is easily the scariest Batman has ever been.

So that’s...something?

I love that scene. Batman just perched up there in the corner is still creepy as fuck. Easily the best intro we have had for the character in any live action film.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:19 am
Extraordinary

On another viewing of this it seems less piecemealed and is still a pretty enjoyable film, but what bogs down the film is none of the characters get a big arc, which I guess you can say these can be saved for their solo films but literally only Superman and Wonder Woman has gotten one.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:38 am
Ocarina of Time

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice A+
2. Man of Steel A+
3. Justice League A-
4. Wonder Woman B+
5. Suicide Squad B

I'm sure that if the rumored Snyder cut exists and realises, this movie could become in one of the biggest achievements in superhero cinema history

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:18 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Brian wrote:
1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice A+
2. Man of Steel A+
3. Justice League A-
4. Wonder Woman B+
5. Suicide Squad B

I'm sure that if the rumored Snyder cut exists and realises, this movie could become in one of the biggest achievements in superhero cinema history

So it went from an A+ to an A- in just 9 days. At this rate it will be an F by year's end. :cool:

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:01 pm

This is how the Superman/Justice League trilogy should have gone:

Man of Steel should have focused more on Suoerman's humanity showing a more warm environment, where sure he is sheltered, but ultimately lives a happy childhood, just with some majorly traumatic moments along the way. You can still have Jonathan due being the moment where Clark decides he is going to break away from his stepfather's philosophy and journeys away from the Kent farm to discover who he is. This is where he and Lois meet, similarly to how in the movie. The rest can go similarly from there. General Zoe is a great first villain.

Rename the sequel Batman vs Superman: The Dark Knight Returns and make it more of a Batman movie than a Superman movie. Also drop the whole is Superman to be trusted or not. Make him more like how he is in the graphic novel. A symbol of hope and good for the government. Just that Batman does not. In fact following the events of his fight with General Zod, it draws him out of retirement. He thinks he is the only sane in the world that comprehends the danger of Superman. Meanwhile an older Lex Luthor announces he is going to run for president. Lex then uses a series of events to try and defame Superman fooling even Bruce. At a confrontation between Batman and Superman Lex shows up after Batman gets his ass handed to him and reveals through his research of the Kryptonian vessel he knows Superman's weakness is Kryponite. He also reveals he knows Batman is Bruce Wayne. Because Lex is a badass. He asks if he can use the Kryptonite to kill Superman. Bruce actually says no. He flies away. Superman is then framed for a great tragedy that destroys a large chunk of Gotham. Bruce approaches Lex and no agrees to go forward with the plan. He kills Superman in his next showdown in a brutal fight. Right after Lex attempts to have his goons murder Batman much like the scene from the movie and he proceeds to beat the shit out of them realizing he has been double crossed. He then takes the fight to Lex and learns of the existence of Wonder Woman and finds evidence of Lex's meddling. The movie ends with Lex's trial and Superman's funeral whee Bruce Wayne is present.

Now we open Justice League with world morning Superman. After a similar open with Batman in Gotham and Wonder Woman's scene in Paris, we see Batman in Paris right after Wonder Woman's fight at the Louve. This is now their first meeting and Batman has to convince Diana of the end times, but she refuses. She also calls out Batman for hiding behind a mask. In desperation he reveals he is Bruce Wayne and if he changes his mind, meet him in Gotham. Then Steppenwolf shows up in Thenyscira and the Amazons summon the warning beacon and this finally triggers Diana to seek out Bruce. The two of them then recruit the rest of the league. Things go similarly with the recruitment and the first fight with Steppenwolf, loss and all and Aquaman showing up at the last second to save them from doom. They then have that meeting about reviving Superman, but this time everyone sides with Diana to the point where they all abandon Bruce. But Bruce goes through and revives Superman anyway, this time the machine is not broken by Lex and Bruce has no problem bring Superman back to life using the machine built by Zod. Superman comes back to life in his black suit and becomes super dark very quickly much like he was in the movie and starts his fight against Batman. But before he can kill him, the rest of the Justice League shows up and stops him. However, Steppenwolf also shows up and a theee way fight ensues. In the fight Superman beats Steppenwolf to near death, and then turns his gull attention to the Justice League. Just when it looks like Superman might finally destroy the Justice Leagie, Hal Jordan shows up in an epic battle as the Green Lantern! It is now time for the Lattern corps to intervene! The battle leads to Superman fleeing, but Steppenwolf getting the final morherbox. Steppenwolf finalizes the apocalypse formula and the end of the world begins.The Justice League shows up and the fight begins. dDuring the fight we see Superman return to the Kent farm, and there is a dramatic scene between him and Lois where Lois tries to make Superman remember who he is. Back at the fight with the aid of Green Lantern they are able to defeat Steppenwolf, but then Darkseid shows up! Only Hal recgonizes him and states hope is gone. Back in Kansas after even more talking Lois is finally able to bring back Clark Kent. Superman is finally back as the hero we all need. She says he is needed. Clark then asks how she knew he was brought back to life, she says Bruce told her. Clark kisses Lois then flies off to the battle. Before he can get there Hal falls in the battle and is defeated, killed by Darkseid. Wonder Woman then goes berserk and is able to hold her own for sometime, it even impresses Darkseid. But it ultimately proves to be futile. Just when all looks lost Superman shows up and brings back the morale and the team is able to forth with the plan including Cuborg defusing the motherbox. Their combine strength cannot defeat Darkseid, but they make him flee earth stating he is impressed, but he will leave Earth for now. The heroes save the day and the rest of the movie continues the same. New post credit scene with the Lantern ring ending up with Jon Stewart. Still keep the other two.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:00 pm
Keeping it Light

Ha, that was fun to read.

Like the take on how BvS could have been improved, and the JL take just sounds so bat-shit crazy it might even work and it would be an insane 4 hour film.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:00 am
Cream of the Crop

A couple of belated reflections:

- Ben Affleck was awful - easily the worst Batman ever.

- in this year of respect for women, I was shocked at the number of pervy shots of Diane Prince's butt in leather pants - it was shot with so much care in lighting and angle, one would have thought they were portraying the Christ child himself. Wonder Woman should be kicking ass, not modelling it.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:35 am
now we know

IF YOU GOT IT, FLAUNT IT SISTER!!!!!

Don't you know anything, Bradley? ;)

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 am
Profile WWW

So many typos in my synopsis

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:04 am
now we know

Typos are part of your charm. It's like you're Thegun, but worth reading. ;)

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:12 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

There are plenty of good little moments in this, but it doesn't add up to much. As many have said, the only person trying to make a good movie here is Snyder, everyone else is just trying to avoid making a bad one. So its hard to connect with it beyond the little moments.

I will confess myself very disappointed by the action though. Both Man of Steel and BvSDoJ had amazing finales. This one was just sort of meh and I put it all on Steppenwolf. This is the villian you pick to unite the league? Really? Superman wipes his shoe with him in less than five minutes. The only thing Steppenwolf was born to be is wild, not a threat to the Justice League.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:56 pm
The Kramer

Wouldn't it have made a ton more sense for Lex to meet with Joker at the end? Nobody knows who Deathstroke is besides that he looks like Deadpool and uses swords like Deadpool and has the same last name as Deadpool. As I said during the BvS marketing, showing big surprises that only the comic fans will get is pointless since the fans are gonna keep seeing these movies no matter what.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:46 pm
Keeping it Light

I'm fully on board with those back-to-back to posts.

And yes, this made me laugh too:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
The only thing Steppenwolf was born to be is wild

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:24 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

So I finally saw this today (and I usually see superhero movies opening weekend almost without fail). It was actually somewhat OK. It was nowhere near the dumpster fire of BvS or the absurd Suicide Squad. It had a lot of moments that really landed. Gal Godot was great. She's the all-star of this franchise. I love her character now after Wonder Woman and am so invested in her journey. Ezra Miller also does a decent job, and Henry Cavill does well despite his limited screentime. Ray Fisher is fine, but Ben Affleck is on autopilot mode here. He's boring as hell. And it will never not depress me to see such great actors as Amy Adams and Diane Lane trapped in such generic roles in this franchise (particularly Adams. I hate saying I dislike seeing her in a movie but that's the case with these). The movie definitely lightens things up a bit from previous entries and has a few fun action sequences. Steppenwolf is a hot mess though and almost brings the entire thing down (as did the ridiculous Russian family). It's far from great but other than Wonder Woman (and maybe Suicide Squad if I wanted a good laugh) this is the only DC movie I actually would say I'd watch again. B-

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:10 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Also thank god I walked out before the end credits scene. Jesse Eisenberg gave one of the worst performances of the past decade in BvS and I would have probably thrown up if I'd seen his character again.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:11 am
Profile YIM
On autopilot for the summer

This is a tough film to grade.

At the end of the day, the thing that works best to the Avengers is they never had a World threatening being until then. Here this guy is vaguely explained, and completely interchangeable to the villain in Wonder Woman. And very easily defeated in the end.

They really missed the boat with not having the 4th act of BVS and Doomsday being the villain and Superman dying here.

I enjoyed it overall, kind of like WW. But there is just such a sense of desperation here, that it does have an awkward feel throughout. Though I will say, out of any of DC films, I am looking forward to an extended cut, because this film just feels butchered.

If they had started here, and gave a little depth. I think I'd be much more on board. This franchise does not do its actors justice, because there are great moments all around it.

Perhaps the JL would never work like the Avengers for the simple fact that Avengers built on characters general audiences never really cared about, where as in JL you have 3 of the top 5 Superheros of all time. And the Flash's novelty has been killed by Neo and Quicksilver. Aquaman is nothing more than Thor mixed with the background of someone like Drax. All of his scenes are iffy at best (the actor did ok though)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:40 am
Superfreak

That Bats Supes and Wondy were already defined in the eyes of audiences def. doesn't help JL no doubt

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:52 am
Cream of the Crop

Justice League is Proof That the Male Gaze Ruins Everything. Even Our Beloved Wonder Woman

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:48 am
Pure Phase

Every now and then I still marvel at this movie (MARVEL! ;) ). Just the fact it...exists. They did it. They combined Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash, and, uh, Cyborg in a mega-budget tent-pole action film. And it was a total wash in every conceivable way.

I sympathize with the release-the-Snyder-cut people and their almost Bernie Sanders-esque fervor. There is an integrity of tone and vision to Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, despite their not inconsiderable lumps and bumps, and they built to the cinematic equivalent of a whoopee cushion. Justice League truly plays as a film made by everyone and no one (to please everyone at least a bit, truly fulfilling no one).

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon May 07, 2018 12:40 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I thought Batman v Superman (especially the extended cut) was actually one of the best superhero films released recently and was pretty damn good (shoot me!), so it's Sunday and I've had a few beers and I've finally decided to watch this.

And now I'm one minute in and Henry Cavill's fake CGI mouth post mustache removal is a complete mess. Oh lord. This is going to be two long hours.

Mon May 07, 2018 1:13 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

BvS extended cut is good but its not better than the same universe's WW.

Mon May 07, 2018 11:42 am
Keeping it Light

MoS, BvS, WW, JL all don't feel part of the same universe, the DCEU is such a hack job.

Mon May 07, 2018 12:37 pm
now we know

What would be funny is if in a few years, once the current MCU has ended, Marvel reboot it as a darker universe just to show DC how it's done.

Mon May 07, 2018 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Better than BvS theatrical and maybe even Extended cut because its more coherent and moves at brisk pace but overall the final act let's it down. Superman was so damn smug in this and they show him too powerful against Wolf, its like he could have ended things without this team altogether. WW is wasted in here.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4