Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Finding Dory 

What grade would you give this film?
A 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

Finding Dory 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Finding Dory
Finding Dory

Quote:
Finding Dory is a 2016 American 3D computer-animated comedy adventure film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. The film is a sequel to the 2003 film, Finding Nemo. Andrew Stanton, who directed the original film, returns as writer and director, alongside Angus MacLane as the co-director, and Victoria Strouse and Finding Nemo co-writer Bob Peterson as writers. The film features the voices of Ellen DeGeneres, Albert Brooks, Hayden Rolence, Ed O'Neill, Kaitlin Olson, Ty Burrell, Diane Keaton and Eugene Levy.

Finding Dory focuses on the amnesiac character Dory, and explores her journey to be reunited with her family. The film takes place six months after the events of Finding Nemo and is set off the coast of California. Many characters from the first film, including Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Mr. Ray, Crush and Squirt, all appear in the sequel.

The film premiered at the El Capitan Theatre in Los Angeles on June 8, 2016 and is scheduled to be released in the United States on June 17, 2016.

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

Post Re: Finding Dory
Loved it. Animation was simply gorgeous and could emotionally connect with the movie. New characters were all great(especially "septopus" hank and the whales/sea lion). Overall would rate it A.

Short was brilliant as well. Again the animation was too good.

I used to be shawman.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:27 am
Hold the door!

Keyser Söze wrote:
Loved it. Animation was simply gorgeous and could emotionally connect with the movie. New characters were all great(especially "septopus" hank and the whales/sea lion). Overall would rate it A.

Short was brilliant as well. Again the animation was too good.

How would you rate it against the original? Is it a sequel on par with the Toy Storys or MU?

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:31 am
Quality is a great business plan

Nemo is not in my Top 5. I would rate it on par with Nemo. I prefer Toy Story to Nemo but animation in dory is the best I have seen. Its way better than MU. Let me chew on before I place it in all time pixar list. Ratatouille is my favorite so far.

It handled themes around disability that resonated strongly with me for personal reasons(dont want to elaborate). WP review captures it brilliantly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... isability/

I used to be shawman.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:06 am
King Albert!

I agree with Keyser on this one. I feel that this is almost on par with the original. There were plenty of surprises, fun new characters (they even play an important part to advance the story), and even some pathos the original had. The animation is once again beautiful. The short film is very beautiful as well, in terms of premise and animation. I see this as one of the most beautifully animated Pixar films.

Also, stay for the end credits, there is a big surprise at the end you don't want to miss.

I give the film an A.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

I'm so glad Staton had his comeback with this........ after the underrated John Carter :(

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:31 pm
why so serious?

Finding Dory occupies a difficult space in Pixar's filmography. As one of the company's few sequels to date, it faces the incredibly difficult challenge of trying to measure up not only to the general quality of much of the studio's illustrious filmography (an especially daunting task considering that one of last year's offerings, Inside Out, was my favorite film of its year), but also a predecessor that ingrained itself deeply into the public's pop culture consciousness and cemented the studio's legacy as a group of filmmakers who could strike gold no matter how strange the concept. While the film ultimately falls well short of its predecessor and ranks in the lower tier of Pixar's output - about on par with the likes of Brave and Monsters University - it's still an appreciably heartfelt and consistently entertaining film in its own right. The film is at its best when it turns its attention toward its title character. Ellen DeGeneres is still a perfect fit as Dory, with a sense of comedic timing that makes the character every bit as entertaining as she was the first time out. The film also gets a ton of mileage out of the relationship that develops between Dory and Ed O'Neill's octopus, Hank. Truthfully, if the filmmakers had focused more intensely upon the relationship between Dory and Hank (whose arc feels too simplistic within the screen time he's given), it might have been an even more satisfying film; as is, the third act still delivers a potent emotional punch thanks to the development of Dory and Hank and the integration of the plot threads surrounding the whales and Dory's parents. Unfortunately, if there's any glaring problem with this incredibly affable film, it's the integration of the first film's protagonist and its title character. Despite solid voice work from Albert Brooks, Marlin feels unnecessary to the narrative and lacks the nuance that made his character arc so powerful in the first film; likewise, Nemo could be removed from the film entirely and not affect anything beyond voicing viewers' thoughts on Marlin's jerky behavior toward Dory in the first act. Admittedly, Finding Dory was always at a creative disadvantage as a long-delayed sequel to a beloved hit whose narrative did not demand a sequel; taking that point into consideration, the finished film feels like a victory of effective humor and well-executed emotional appeals, which is more than can be said of the average sequel.

B+

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:25 pm
Cream of the Crop

Webslinger wrote:
As one of the company's few sequels

1995 - 2019: 13 original films / 8 sequels

Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:13 am
Extraordinary

I thought the film was pretty good. Not up there with Pixar's best but it uses the character of Dory very well and serves well as a continuation of FN. The emotional stuff didn't really inspire waterworks here like they usually do for me though. Nemo was pretty irrelevant, lol, he must've had 10 lines.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:21 am
Ocarina of Time

tree and a half wrote:
Webslinger wrote:
As one of the company's few sequels

1995 - 2019: 13 original films / 8 sequels

Quoted by Whitherberry

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:49 am
Hold the door!

Pleasantly surprised that I thought it was really good, though it does feel like a movie that might not be as good on repeat viewings. It's not quite as good as Finding Nemo for a few reasons though. Mainly because they took the scope of the first one and shrank it down considerably for this one. Also, Marlin and Nemo were really really bland and sort of annoying this time around, and I wasn't really invested in any of their scenes that did not involve Dory, and those were the parts of the movie that felt like a DTV movie. The parts that were great were anything involving Dory's past, most of which got me to tear up (she was so cute too!) I really liked Hank, Destiny and Bailey, and all of the chase sequences in the Marine Life center were tense and exciting. I was not really a fan of the sea lions though. The animation looked less realistic this time around, more cartoony, which also made it feel at times like a DTV sequel. The parts that were good were on par with Nemo overall. Not one of Pixar's best because it doesn't really break any new ground, but it is quite involving and enjoyable for all ages.

A-

Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:04 pm
Sbil

This is firmly mid-tier Pixar, but I didn't realistically expect I would love it as much as Finding Nemo, which is probably my favorite Pixar movie. It's vibrant, funny and often clever, but still missing a bit of the spark the first one had. Not quite sure I can put my finger on what that spark is, but alas. It's worth noting the absolutely stunningly gorgeous animation in this. It has got to be the most beautiful looking Pixar film to date, which is no small feat. B+

Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:34 pm
Superman: The Movie

zwackerm wrote:
The animation looked less realistic this time around, more cartoony, which also made it feel at times like a DTV sequel.

Couldn't disagree more. With the exception of the humans (who are either mostly blurred or shown briefly), this might be Pixar's best looking movie to date. The water especially looks immaculate. There's a scene that specifically stood out where Marlin and Nemo find themselves in a fish tank outside of a gift shop and they're poking their heads out of the tank, and the shine on them from the water, the detail, looked fantastic, especially in 3D. The scene in the giant aquarium exhibit (Dory's home) is also a stand out.

publicenemy#1 wrote:
I thought the film was pretty good. Not up there with Pixar's best but it uses the character of Dory very well and serves well as a continuation of FN. The emotional stuff didn't really inspire waterworks here like they usually do for me though. Nemo was pretty irrelevant, lol, he must've had 10 lines.

Finding Dory. Nemo was the first one. They also probably didn't want anyone to notice the change in voice actors.

Nemo is also a pretty big part in Dory realizing she had a family all along, but if you want to go with irrelevant...

The Scottie wrote:
Also, stay for the end credits, there is a big surprise at the end you don't want to miss.

Agreed, the sea lions alone would've been cute enough, but then they go the extra mile. Don't read the cast credits though because they tip off what's coming. Also, stay for the credits because they're just great to look at. It'd make for a perfect five-minute screensaver.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It's a step below Pixar's upper tier because it doesn't have a lot on its mind aside from family, and the ending "chase" is...There's suspension of disbelief, and then there's a septopus driving a truck...but damn, the family aspect pays off. I choked up a little bit in a couple of scenes, but the one with the shells all leading home...holy crap. Set up and payed off beautifully.

Also, "Hello, I'm Sigourney Weaver.".

A

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Dory was fantastic.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:36 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It surprised me. I wasn't expecting to be disappointed in this like I was with Monsters University, but I don't really like any of Pixar's sequels as much as the original. Finding Dory, however, comes very close to Finding Nemo. And that's saying something since Nemo remains my favorite Pixar movie. (A-)

Also, while the animation is excellent, if a tad too cartooney at times, it's probably their first film that didn't entirely improve upon their last entry. I still consider The Good Dinosaur's animation (characters aside, of course) to be the best they've produced so far.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I really think baby Dory might be the most adorable animated character in the history of cinema. I also think this is funnier and more heartfelt than Nemo. But overall, it's probably a tad behind.

A-/A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:02 am
loyalfromlondon

stringer & mcnulty 4eva

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:02 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Loved it. It's not as great as the original movie, which is a classic, but it more than stands on its own and is full of a lot of humor and heart. Excellent vocal performances across the board too - everyone was perfectly cast.

Also, "Sigourney Weaver" was hilarious and the after-credits scene was fun. A-

Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:08 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Which cunts gave this an F?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:56 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Probably zwackerm before he saw it.

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:53 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its great in the first two acts specially till the reunion and after that it looses focus in the chase and rescue. Its very enjoyable but I felt some of the decisions were just not right. Very small visual details that is Pixar specialty are all there but when it comes to story specially for a gifted and challenged subject as Dory wasn't handled well though ofcourse its all to progress the narrative quite nicely. Dory's ability to remember new things/people is being used to manipulate the storyline. I loved the reunion here but somehow felt Nemo did a better job at that.

This is a great movie without the comparisons which is heartfelt and has many deep morals. But when comparing to Pixar sequels/prequels I felt MU did a better job with the world/characters than Dory.

7/10

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:55 am
now we know

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Probably zwackerm before he saw it.

But why? It makes no sense. He knows he loves this type of film.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Not a big fan of Nemo but was pleasantly surprised with how entertaining Dory was. Worth watching.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:41 am
The Kramer

Pretty much what I expeced. Another quality Pixar film, but not one of their top-tier efforts.

The best parts were the sea lions, the clam and Marlon arguing against a sequel the entire movie.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:23 pm
Forum General

I enjoyed it a lot but it doesn't come near the top tier Pixar films, though it isn't lower tier either. It was a lot of fun and the animation is beautiful. I didn't find myself moved like I should have. I just felt like there was something missing. Still, it was a funny, entertaining summer flick.

B+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:18 pm