Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Lady Bird 

Rate this film:
A 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

Lady Bird 
Wallflower

Post Lady Bird

Quote:
In Lady Bird, Greta Gerwig reveals herself to be a bold new cinematic voice with her directorial debut, excavating both the humor and pathos in the turbulent bond between a mother and her teenage daughter. Christine "Lady Bird" McPherson (Saoirse Ronan) fights against but is exactly like her wildly loving, deeply opinionated and strong-willed mom (Laurie Metcalf), a nurse working tirelessly to keep her family afloat after Lady Bird's father (Tracy Letts) loses his job. Set in Sacramento, California in 2002, amidst a rapidly shifting American economic landscape, Lady Bird is an affecting look at the relationships that shape us, the beliefs that define us, and the unmatched beauty of a place called home.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:41 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Lady Bird
This was wonderful. The entire cast was fantastic for the most part. Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf are brilliant and Beanie Feldstein gives a breakout performance. I found Timothee Chalamant and his character bland but he's the only weak link here. It's hilarious and heartfelt. A-

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:56 am
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

Lady Bird almost has a Napoleon Dynamite vibe to it in the early going, but then settles in to a more naturalistic register. A coming of age tale set in the ripe catholic high school sub-genre. Of course, Saoirse Ronan is splendiferous! And the supporting actors are all well cast and well played (except Laurie Metcalf who has been overexposed doing too much of the same mom schtick on television). There is a niggling issue with the overall pacing that made this short film feel a bit long, but still quite a joy to watch. *B+*

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:33 pm
Pure Phase

I am not quite on the same ecstatic wavelength as many critics (this is not as wonderful as last year's similar-in-certain-respects 20th Century Women), but Lady Bird is definitely a very charming and tasteful variation on coming-of-age comedy-drama tropes. Saoirse Ronan is terrific. Her inevitable Oscar nomination will be well-deserved. I also admire how the film "resolves" the love-hate-codependent-doting mother/daughter relationship without tying it into too neat a bow.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:20 pm
The Kramer

Well damn this was excellent. I wasn't expecting much going in, thinking maybe it would be as good as Edge of Seventeen (a B+) but it flew by that. It is just so damn funny, I almost always had a smile on my face. Yet it easily flips the switch when the big emotional moments hit and I felt all of those as well. And while it could have easily lost focus with its rapid fire pacing (which I loved as well), it never does and everything that is unseen or unsaid is implied with grace. Both Ronan and Gerwig have absolute command of the film at all times and that confidence shows on screen.

Lady Bird is the funniest comedy of the year so far. I highly recommend it to all KJ posters and lurkers.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:13 pm
The Kramer

Biggest laugh for me was the coach teaching drama. It was set up so well and that would have been a fine enough joke, but seeing him dive so heavily into the role was such a wonderful payoff.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:17 pm
Wallflower

Absolutely lovely and one of the year's very best so far. It's really funny and touching. Loved Saoirse Ronan, Laurie Metcalf, Beanie Feldstein, and Lucas Hedges. A very nice directing debut by Greta Gerwig. Didn't want this one to end. Could have spent much longer with these characters. Also can't stop listening to "Crash into Me."

Grade: 9/10 (A)

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:31 am
Extraordinary

I loved it. That scene with the mom driving off killed me.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:34 am
Wallflower

Magnus wrote:
wow I didn't realize the extent of how good the reviews have been for this. It's close to setting the RT record for 100% with most reviews and has a 94 on MC.

It sounds weird but for a film I liked, I find that to be a bit troublesome to be honest. I personally feel people are trying to show too much support for a female-made, female-centric film given current social times, which from a critical perspective is an issue. I don't feel this is any much better than The Edge of Seventeen (which was also a female director), which got very good praise last year but not to extreme extent of Ladybird. But that was released before Trump won.

I really can't even see how someone could hate it, hence the 100% on RT. It's such a good film. It doesn't mean everyone is giving it a perfect rating. It's just that everyone is liking it. It's a wonderful, feel-good film. I'm dreading the eventual backlash. It does not deserve it.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:11 am
Wallflower

My only real negative with the film was the main character's attitude towards the college guy in the end not believing in God. As an Atheist it left a bad taste in my mouth. Just a minor quibble though. Still love the film.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:53 am
Wallflower

Magnus wrote:
lolz omg she went to Catholic school and didn’t end up a God-hating atheist. What a sin.

She didn't have to be at all but being so judgmental towards someone who was seemed odd for her character. She was kind of a liberal Catholic. Accepting gay people, ok with abortion, etc... It's not like I said I had a problem with her going to church at the end of the movie. That made sense to me.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:57 am
The Kramer

I kind of agree, and actually think they could have ended the movie before New York. But I get that they wanted to establish that leaving her home didn't make everything perfect, and she will still be herself no matter where she ends up.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:35 am
Wallflower

Yeah as much as I didn't want the movie to end I feel before New York would have been better. The ending could have been stronger. The whole New York part was weak.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:28 pm
Extraordinary

LADYBIRD

I liked the film in the end. The beginning was a bit off putting to me. I wasn't liking Saoirse's character and didn't appreciate them showing her disinterest at the catholic school eating the bread and just being vulgar and I was actually kind of bored until about 1/3 in after the play performance. Somewhere where she finds her fake boyfriend in the bathroom stall. I thought the film got way more interesting at that point with her dealing with her fake bf, getting involved with the new bf and interacting more with her mother. I also enjoyed the scene later on in the film when she goes back to church and then calls her mother and leaves that message.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:33 am
Forum General

nghtvsn wrote:
LADYBIRD

I liked the film in the end. The beginning was a bit off putting to me. I wasn't liking Saoirse's character and didn't appreciate them showing her disinterest at the catholic school eating the bread and just being vulgar and I was actually kind of bored until about 1/3 in after the play performance. Somewhere where she finds her fake boyfriend in the bathroom stall. I thought the film got way more interesting at that point with her dealing with her fake bf, getting involved with the new bf and interacting more with her mother. I also enjoyed the scene later on in the film when she goes back to church and then calls her mother and leaves that message.

Grade - B

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the film aswell. It only got interesting for me after the bathroom stall scene, but before then it was kind of rough. As good as Saoirse Ronan is in this her character comes off really unlikable and annoying in the beginning which is jarring when you are trying to find a reason to root or care for her. It got better as it went along though, but if it wasn't for the hype I probably wouldn't have been interested at all.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:15 am
Indiana Jones IV

Love it. Near perfect, man. So heartfelt. So genuine. Surprisingly hilarious. Wonderful acting, writing, direction, use of music. I just connected to it. I loved that her first boyfriend was gay, and the scene where he begs her for secrecy and understanding. made my heart ache.

A

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:56 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Magnus wrote:
I personally feel people are trying to show too much support for a female-made, female-centric film given current social times, which from a critical perspective is an issue. I don't feel this is any much better than The Edge of Seventeen (which was also a female director), which got very good praise last year but not to extreme extent of Ladybird. But that was released before Trump won.

I've got no agenda, bro. Edge of 17 was good but Lady Bird is just miles better. I think for a lot of people it just resonated a lot more. It's a beautiful film.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:00 pm
Hold the door!

Magnus wrote:
But that was released before Trump won.

Trump was elected November 8. The Edge of Seventeen came out November 18. So no.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:10 pm
Devil's Advocate

I'm not sure how I feel about Gerwig the director in this, it blows through a lot of events in Lady Bird's life when spending more time on each may have led to some bigger impact in some cases and characters like Hedges and Chalamet's don't really reach their potential as a result. Total opposite approach of a film like Mistress America where they it feels like a third of the movie is one long scene in that house. Maybe it was intentional to show that time is moving all too fast for Lady Bird.

It's a fascinating movie for me though. My interpretation of this is different than 99% of people's because of personal experience. I feel this is a very complex film about identity and inauthenticity and that Lady Bird spends most of it pretending to be someone to be accepted by others or literally lying. Her classmates are stuck in that trap too with both Hedges and Chalamet lying in their own ways, the Julie character's bright and sunny social persona is a direct contrast to the "some people aren't born happy/crying for no reason" version we see in her apartment. Other characters like her father or the teacher hide their depression as well. No coincidence they all spend time together in acting class.

I also think how the film feels about Metclaf by the end is likely misinterpreted and that she's not forgiven for her actions. Lady Bird thinking everything she did is ok because her mother loved her kid too much is what the emotionally abusive parent wants, it's how they win and get out of it without having to do any of the hard work or take any responsibility. Metclaf's character didn't have to say a word of apology or promise to change a single thing about herself. She should be apologizing, that Lady Bird is somehow the one apologizing to her and taking all the blame for it tells me this is not a healthy ending for their relationship, it's the ending that ensures the mother is just going to keep acting the same way. Also I see her as having messed up by leaving her friend Julie behind instead of going to Davis where she could see her every day. She was the best thing she had going for her and the one real relationship in her life, and she made the same mistake she did before of abandoning her. The I love you call should've been to Julie not her mother. Lady Bird spends this whole film being wrong and that's true at the end more than ever since she caves on two of the only things she had right, calling herself Lady Bird and that her mother's behaviour is not ok

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:13 am
Superman: The Movie

Can we get a parallel movie about Julie? She is infinitely more fascinating than Lady Bird. That line, “Some people just aren’t born happy, I guess.” was devastating. Much more devastating than the scene at the airport.

The movie is good. Don’t get the overwhelming praise (I feel like I’ve said that a lot this year) and the Oscar noms are insane, but yeah, good.

B

The Edge of Seventeen did it better.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

It's not bad. Very much a progressive, hipster flick. Made for morons that believe there are more than two genders. But again, it's not a bad film - it is just trying too hard. It's well paced. It is also well written. The dialogue feels grounded, and less "movie-ish", which is actually quite refreshing. Well, mostly everything. The "I respect you" line is cringe-worthy, forced, and pandering. Ronan is average. She's playing the oddball. Not something I feel is a stretch for her. Anyway, she is outclassed by Metcalfe. Chalamet, also, to a degree. He does a good early noughties 'I'm-in-a-band' free-thinking douche. He was actually the highlight of the film for me. What the film does do well is to recover enough of the feeling and panic and potential and worry of that leap to higher education, so that makes me happier adding a plus to my grade.

C+

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Meh, it was good, but The Edge of Seventeen was far better. It was pretty typical high school movie stuff. Don't understand what's so great about it. It was nicely shot and had good performances. The script wasn't much special though. And the ending was super abrupt.

B

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:00 pm
now we know

This was recently classed by the BBC as the most overrated film to be nominated this year. The disparity between audience ratings on IMDB and critics ratings on Metacritic was the basis for the classification. Dunkirk was second. Wonder Woman ... wasn't on the list because it wasn't nominated for a single award!!!! :rofl:

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This surprised me very positively, the story is rather simple and of the kind I feel I've seen several times before yet this film hits all the right notes with it. The dialogue is good, the acting is great and there's something about the setting and directing that just make this stand out. I totally deserved its award noms and while I didn't like Booksmart and Beanie Feldstein in it, she nails her part here.

A-

Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]