Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Thank You for Your Service 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Thank You for Your Service 
Wallflower

Post Thank You for Your Service

Quote:
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE follows a group of U.S. soldiers returning from Iraq who struggle to integrate back into family and civilian life, while living with the memory of a war that threatens to destroy them long after they've left the battlefield.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:29 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Thank You for Your Service
No single element is blazing or transcendent, but this is a very soundly constructed directorial debut by the Oscar-nominated writer of American Sniper. Everything is tasteful, sturdy, and engaging, from the committed acting to the crisp photography to the sensitive, non-sensational way its various themes and concerns (PTSD, Veterans Affairs bureaucracy) are handled. There is even a new, appropriately doleful Bruce Springsteen song playing over the end credits.

This year, Miles Teller turned in two very fine performances in two very fine commercial films for adults: this and Only the Brave. Not very many people saw either, unfortunately.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:36 pm
Forum General

Post Re: Thank You for Your Service
This was a pretty damn solid movie and like David said its unfortunate more people didn't go out to see it. Granted, I haven't seen Only the Brave yet, but Miles Teller has already proven to me that he is a very capable, versatile actor and this film is no different. I appreciated how they handled the PTSD element, and the overall military influence/involvement was well done. I'd definitely say its tasteful while not being too over the top or unrealistic. The only problems I had with the movie was the subplot about his friend and the gangsters that came in later which didn't really gel with the rest of the movie IMO and I'm still not sold on Amy Schumer as a serious, dramatic actress, but thankfully she isn't in the movie long enough to ruin it.

B+

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]