Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Spider-Man: Homecoming 

Rate This Film
A 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
B 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Spider-Man: Homecoming 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Spider-Man: Homecoming

Quote:
Spider-Man: Homecoming is a 2017 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Spider-Man, co-produced by Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios, and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing. It is the second reboot of the Spider-Man film franchise and the sixteenth film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The film is directed by Jon Watts, with a screenplay by the writing teams of Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley, Watts and Christopher Ford, and Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers. The film stars Tom Holland, Michael Keaton, Jon Favreau, Zendaya, Donald Glover, Tyne Daly, Marisa Tomei, and Robert Downey Jr. In Spider-Man: Homecoming, Peter Parker tries to balance high school life with being the hero Spider-Man as he faces the Vulture.

In February 2015, Marvel Studios and Sony reached a deal to share the character rights of Spider-Man, integrating the character into the established MCU. The following June, Holland was cast as the title character, while Watts was hired to direct, followed shortly after by the casting of Tomei and the hiring of Daley and Goldstein to write the script. In April 2016, the film's title was revealed, along with additional castings including Downey. Principal photography began in June 2016 at Pinewood Atlanta Studios in Fayette County, Georgia and continued in New York City before concluding in Berlin the following October. During filming, Watts, Christopher Ford, Chris McKenna, and Erik Sommers were revealed as additional screenwriters, and more cast members were confirmed.

Spider-Man: Homecoming premiered in Hollywood on June 28, 2017 and will be released in the United States on July 7, 2017, in 3D, IMAX, and IMAX 3D. A sequel is scheduled to be released on July 5, 2019.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:54 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming
I thought this was just okay. Tom Holland's a great Peter/Spider-Man but the material here just isn't anything memorable. Action is forgettable and other than Peter the characters are pretty light on characterization. Michael Keaton has a few good scenes but also ones that miss. Not bad but it just doesn't justify another reboot besides being part of the MCU.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:22 pm
Superfreak

Good to hear that
Spoiler: show
Pepper Potts
is back. That was a bizarre plot turn of the past few films which weakened the originals in hindsight.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:18 pm
On autopilot for the summer

It was only one film. And it worked within that film.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:55 am

Another serviceable Marvel flick, above the average though, much better than Guardians Vol 2. The best scene is between Keaton and Holland in the car during homecoming.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:34 am
I heet the canadian!

Really quite a wonderful, enjoyable romp. As many have already discussed, Tom Holland is the perfect Spider-Man; funny, quirky, athletic and capturing everything I want out of a teen Peter Parker. It's going to be a joy watching him and the character evolve for presumably the next ten plus years. The rest of the cast is great, too; this is only the second acting credit for Jacob Batalon but he is a scene stealer, and everyone else does great with what they're given (some not quite enough, but more on that later). And it is hilarious; the John Hughes influence leads to the funniest MCU film to date.

Special mention needs to be given to Michael Keaton, who for my money, turns The Vulture into at least the second best MCU villain to date. He has understandable motivations, well-written dialogue, and Keaton brings his own flair to it. He is 90% of the way to being a truly great character, missing just a bit more time to stand up to the giants. That said,
everything from his reveal as Liz's father (a true audience gasping moment) onward is just phenomenal. Keaton achieves a level of menace that is very rare for a modern day comic-book film. The car scene is a standout for the whole year, let alone the film.

One of the cleverest aspects of this film is its total subversion of the typical Spider-Man origin story, while still operating as precisely that. Instead of forcing us to see Uncle Ben gunned for the nth time, the film is about a young and impatient Spidey realizing he cannot forgo the Peter Park part of his life. He may be the only Avenger with a secret identity, but it is the young kid that can make him the best and most relatable of them all, the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. Another great element: this film is a poster child for multi-ethnic casting that does not remotely feel forced.

The largest negative of the film is simply put, the amount of the film spent on each element. Tony Stark, Aunt May, the high school segments, Liz, Michelle, etc. I enjoyed all of these, but just like The Vulture, additional time for each (ok, perhaps not for Stark depending on how you feel about the character) could have elevated this to true greatness. It's almost sacrilege to suggest it in the age of bloated blockbusters, but this film could have benefited from a 2.5 hour runtime.

The other negative that came to mind is that the action scenes are, overall, not terribly impressive. Perfectly acceptable with some degree of inventiveness, but nothing in comparison to the Doc Ock fights in Raimi's first sequel. This fits with the Peter Parker in this one, but it is still something that I was longing for. The mid-credits villain tease suggests Homecoming 2 will deliver the goods on this front.

This was probably the most fun I have had at the theaters since John Wick 2. That a film made in a partnership between two studios with no less than six credited writers works as well as this is a minor miracle.

B+

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:17 am

The car scene was easily the best scene in the movie.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:10 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

^ Absolutely. Both actors do great as well.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:23 pm
I heet the canadian!

Another great moment

I actually thought the scene in the film was even better than the comic. Stark's voiceover was perhaps a step too far, but Tom Holland acted the hell out of the scene. His initial plea for help was heartbreaking, and made him escaping all the more satisfying to watch.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:05 pm
Forum General

It doesn't quite top SM2 as my favorite Spider-Man movie, but it comes damn close. For now it's easily my second favorite Spider-Man movie and definitely worthy of top tier Marvel. There is just so much they got right with Spider-Man this time around, but the standouts are for sure Tom Holland and Michael Keaton. First off, you have a very likeable and charismatic guy as your lead and second off a villain that's actually worth a shit and has an arc that's pretty much perfection IMO. Michael Keaton is so great in this as Adrian Tooms that just calling him the best villain the MCU has offered doesn't do him enough justice. What he does with facial expressions alone in this movie is pretty amazing, and I have to agree with the guys above that one of my favorite scenes in the movie is not only the car bit, but the stuff that happened after the twist was revealed at the house was great as well. I honestly wish we got to see more of him and his crew fucking around with that dope Chautari tech because I was loving all those scenes. Then there is Tom Holland who is just the perfect choice as Peter Parker/Spider-Man. The dude just oozes so much charm that it's hard not to enjoy the journey as your experiencing it with him. You can tell this kid actually loves being a superhero without any of the angsty, melodrama bullshit that plagued the last couple of films. Seeing him interact with characters like Ned Leeds, Liz, Tony or Aunt May felt so natural eventhough a bit more time could have been devoted to those elements. Well maybe not Tony since they have developed that relationship really well coming off of Civil War as well as making his place in the MCU not feel forced. If I had any real problems with the movie it's that I honestly didn't care that much for Zendaya or this new iteration of Flash Thompson. I'm sure they will get more fleshing out in future movies, but I didn't get much from them besides for some reason this version of MJ is some mopey, loner kid and Flash is just a straight up annoying, rich punk.

Also, the action sequences could have been a little better, but a part of me finds it deeply refreshing in the fact that they felt so grounded and practical, especially for a superhero film.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:53 pm
Pure Phase

Spider-Man: Homecoming is nothing awe-inspiring or ingenious, but it is a solid, mid-tier superhero film and a welcome reprieve from those Amazing Spider-Man debacles, with their simultaneous Batman & Robin-caliber kitsch and bloated portent. At times it is so eager-to-please as to be almost grating, and it does not avoid every bland Marvel-house-style element—oh, wow, more indistinct alien weaponry and corresponding explosions of colorful laser-beam gelatin—but there is a lot to admire, too. Tom Holland is splendid: charismatic, eccentric, spry, and an immediately valuable asset for Marvel and Sony because people will be excited to see him in future standalone films and Avengers sequels. And as far as Marvel antagonists go (a fairly grim lot populated by such forgettable types as Darren Cross, Kaecilius, Malekith, and Ronan the Accuser), Michael Keaton's Vulture is a credible enough foe. Mostly due to Keaton's singular screen presence and anxious magnetism, but also the interesting twist of him being more of a ground-level threat, a shady contractor dealing in post-Avengers-battle detritus, rather than a captain of industry or a space overlord or an elf. No single action sequence stands out as a revelation or masterful, but every chase, fight, and rescue is capably shot and reasonably distinct. All in all, decent is the word: it is a thoroughly decent Spider-Man romp, and this will be a relief to fans of the character who have seen his fortunes fade since the creative pinnacle of Spider-Man 2 thirteen years ago.

B

I am glad Keaton's character survives. Marvel could use another decent ongoing-villain-slash-reluctant-ally-slash-maybe-still-a-villain. A Loki equivalent for the more grounded side of their cinematic universe.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:10 am
Superfreak

This is the definition of the "good, not great" formula that Marvel has patented in recent years.

This was a clear "passing of the torch" movie. RDJ and Iron Man are leaving after Infinity Wars, no doubt to marry Pepper Potts and retire happily ever after, just as this now iconic megastar character who has anchored the franchise since its birth deserves. Parker will be taking as over the genius smart, witty, sarcastic star no doubt.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:26 am
Pure Phase

I remember people made a fuss re: a hot, younger Aunt May. But if one ponders it for a moment...Peter is in high school, and if his mom gave birth to him at the age of, say, 30, his aunt/mother's sister would be around Marisa Tomei's age. If anything, it is odd how the character exists in our mind's eye more as Grandma May than Aunt May. Tomei's is my favorite incarnation of the character to date. I always thought Rosemary Harris' scenes were a bit cringe-worthy and saccharine in the original trilogy.

I adore how this movie almost completely ignores Uncle Ben. ;) I know it is integral to traditional Spider-Man lore, but his death and its impact on Peter is so tired and played out. Those Amazing Spider-Man movies have a boatload of problems large and small—those bizarre espionage-mystery elements involving Peter's late parents; Jamie Foxx as Steve Urkel as Electro—but they were built on a lousy foundation when Sony decided to repeat every single origin-story beat versus just introducing a new actor as an already-established Spider-Man.

This is also the first Spider-Man movie, I believe, where there is no -major- emphasis on how NEW YORK IS THE BEST EVER. Which is nice. And no scenes of people standing behind wooden police barricades to watch these dangerous superhero battles as if it were a spectator sport.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:42 am
Forum General

Biggestgeekever wrote:
Another great moment

I actually thought the scene in the film was even better than the comic. Stark's voiceover was perhaps a step too far, but Tom Holland acted the hell out of the scene. His initial plea for help was heartbreaking, and made him escaping all the more satisfying to watch.

That was such a great scene. From the desperation and fear in his voice to that split shot of his face and the mask in the water it was beautifully executed. Also, more stuff I loved was the entire first 10 minutes from the cold opening to seeing the airport battle from Peter's POV. The found footage element was a nice touch and it was fun watching all of it tie together. The interactions with Happy Hogan were hilarious too.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:36 am
Superfreak

This made Excel feel old for a bunch of shitty reasons

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:06 am
---------

I don't think I've laughed as much ever in a Marvel movie. They really knocked it out of the park with the comedy.

While it won't top Spider-Man 2 for me, it's definitely in the top tier of MCU movies I think. Tom Holland killed it.

Only thing I thought was missing was a dialogue between Parker and Keaton after Parker rescues him at the end.

Also - glad to see Nacho from Better Call Saul wasn't reduced to a non-speaking single scene. He's too good not to used in a bigger role.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:43 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Can we get the Garfield/Maguire movies back please?

Maybe I'm sick of the Marvel Universe. Maybe I'm tired of half-assed villains and plots that vaguely tie into the Avengers and their subpar 'team-up' franchise movies. But this is the worst Spider-Man movie yet and completely devoid of any heart and soul, which has always differentiated this series from the pack in my opinion. Even in the bloated The Amazing Spider-Man 2 I cried because I loved the characters. This feels like a forced cash-in (which, in all actuality, it is) that is meant to spawn sequels. There is absolutely nothing here that matches the iconic imagery of Raimi's trilogy or the undeniable chemistry exhibited by Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone in the other two films. The movie would have actually redeemed itself in my eyes if it had gone for that 'teen movie' vibe it had aimed for and Peter had returned to the school dance at the end of the movie. But no, we have to have that ridiculous scene where he goes to the new Avengers headquarters, because of course we have to set up Infinity War.

Tom Holland was great. I have no complaints with his performance and he nails the wide eyed innocence of the character. No one else in the cast is noteworthy. Michael Keaton is honestly terrible. I thought he was one of the worst Marvel villains and the film came to a screeching halt when he showed up. The twist involving his character is dumb. The entire female cast is wasted - which is a shame because Marisa Tomei, Zendaya and Laura Harrier are more than capable. It was great seeing Gwyneth Paltrow again and her scene is the best in the film, but it just shows how much more effective the Iron Man series is compared to this. Donald Glover, Hannibal Buress and Martin Starr have fun cameos.

Robert Downey Jr. is good as per usual but shouldn't be in this film. His presence distracts from the overall plot. It would have been more than OK with Jon Favreau's character showing up here and there.

Will give it to Chris Evans. His cameo appearances are hilarious.

This is easily the worst Spider-Man movie in my opinion. Even in ASM2 I cared about the characters and was invested. Here it's just standard superhero fare and does nothing to differentiate itself from the others in its category. C+/C

Last edited by thompsoncory on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:47 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Critics are giving this a Marvel free pass. It has so many issues, particularly in the female character department. It may be my least favorite Marvel film.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:48 pm
Profile YIM
---------

Yowza, are you sure we watched the same movie?

While obviously not a great achievement, Keaton is one of the best Marvel villains yet. It was refreshing to not see another world-dominating or world-destroying villain - just a guy trying to do the best for his family.

The 3rd act reveal involving him is one of the most unexpected twists I can remember from recent years.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:00 am

Yeah Keaton knocked this out of the park, to each his own, but damn

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:05 am
Hold the door!

Cory must be trolling. The Amazing Spider Man films are shit. No way this is worse.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:19 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I love Webb's movies. Garfield and Stone had sensational chemistry. This one was boring as fuck.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:26 am
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

thompsoncory wrote:
I love Webb's movies. Garfield and Stone had sensational chemistry. This one was boring as fuck.

That's literally all the films had.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:43 am
Pure Phase

Cory has such a hard-on for Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone. He cannot stand the fact they, however beautiful and talented in general, were in godawful Spider-Man movies. ;)

I am glad Garfield is free of the role. I much prefer seeing him in Hacksaw Ridge- and Silence-type films.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:51 pm
The Kramer

Not the best or the worst Spider-Man. It is very funny and the main players are terrific. The movie always feels like its in a rush though,and while that does play into the theme, it keeps Homecoming from being an elite addition to the MCU.

Michael Keaton, after shitting all over the genre in Birdman,coming back to play a comic book character with wings bothered me all throughout the movies production. Hypocrite much? Yet he is easily the show stealer here. He's always menacing, even when pretending to be the Average Joe he starts the movie as. And his motivations make sense, using crime to serve himself and his family over conquering/destroying the entire universe. The third act twist adds to this immensely, but I think he would have been a solid (maybe forgettable) addition to the MCUs rogue gallery. Connecting him to Peter in a Norman Osbourne was brilliant though and the car scene is an intense anf worthy payoff.

The rest is hit and miss. The rest of the side characters are mostly just used for comedy. Ned gets a little bit of an arc as the "guy inthe chair" that is amusing. Liz is mostly just a pretty face until her true purpose in the story is revealed and it suddenly makes a lot more sense as to why shes attracted to guys with big secrets and who are never around when she needs them. MJs snarky " Im too cool for this" lines are always funny. Yet the end of the movie makes me think I was supposed to connect with her arc to social acceptance and I never did, nor do I think anyone could given what we saw. The biggest disappointment is Aunt Mae though. Every one of her scenes involves a man in Peter's life wanting to bang her .. and thats it. I feel like another minute here and there would have let the characters breathe and feel like they were apart of this story rather than just filling the screen.

The comedy is on point. The action is not. But the story is compelling enough to keep things moving in interesting directions. So while a few tweaks could have made this a lot more than it is, Homecoming is still solid and can stand tall among both of the series its apart of.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next