Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Thor: Ragnarok 

Rate this film:
A 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
B 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Thor: Ragnarok 
Wallflower

Post Thor: Ragnarok

Quote:
In Marvel Studios' "Thor: Ragnarok," Thor is imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok--the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization--at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela. But first he must survive a deadly gladiatorial contest that pits him against his former ally and fellow Avenger--the Incredible Hulk!

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:17 pm
Hold the door!

Post Re: Thor: Ragnarok
Aren’t you supposed to post the Wikipedia blurb?

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:52 pm
Wallflower

zwackerm wrote:
Aren’t you supposed to post the Wikipedia blurb?

I swear I've seen both. Don't see why that matters. Sometimes David doesn't even post anything but the poster.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:08 pm
now we know

Gamaur wrote:
Can you remember the last time a director thanked you for seeing their film at a theatre?

That's how Ragnarok starts: with director Taika Waititi, Chris Hemsworth, Tessa Thompson, Mark Ruffalo, and some dude called 'Mike' appearing on the screen dressed as themselves, no make-up, facing the camera and thanking us, the moviegoers, for paying money to be there.

"Because without you, it wouldn't be possible!"

Literally as though what we were about to see had been funded on Kickstarter. Like Waititi, in a stroke of self-congratulatory genius, thought, "Ah-ha! I know what the movie business needs!" It needs you to shut the fuck up and not ruin the illusion of your own film before it begins. Love the guy, but there's something about newcomers thinking they can do things better than everyone else who preceded them, that shits me. Not the best start.

Normally I might agree, but with things like this I always go back to "but you're talking about it", which is the point with a lot of newcomers thinking they can do things better than everyone that preceded them. If it gets you talking about it, to a certain degree, it's done its job. At this stage, it is difficult to create new things to talk about in the MCU, so if this does it (doubtful), then it worked.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
SO FETCH!

I've seen that type of thing play before several films. It's usually a marketing strategy done in conjunction with the theaters. Thor is definitely not the first film to have the "thank you reel" play before the movie.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:24 am
now we know

I've also seen it. Not sure which film(s) though.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:26 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its a blast and mostly an escape from the island story that works mainly on the MCU formula of fun but fails to deliver any relevant story around it. The escape from the island story is pretty weak IMO and other than forming the team it does nothing to elevate the story. Also I don't get how these two superheroes are not strong enough to get out of an island and Hulk's motivations to stay or move out are never explained. The action scenes are swift but they lack the punch, like the ending of the hinted Thor-Hulk fight ends with a whimper (again without any real motivation or explanation i.e. Grandmaster's need to have Hulk).

Cate Blanchett is dressed nicely and does very well with her role but other than throwing arrows she is not threatening enough partly because every time she has a dialogue she is also supposed to crack a joke. Rest of the cast does well but overall Thor is too much of style over substance.

Also Thor seems mostly lost in his own movie and is over-shadowed by the spectacle or the supporting cast.

6/10

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:29 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I'll go with Thor related lists

1. Thor
2. Thor Ragnarok
3. Thor The Dark World

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:29 pm
Keeping it Light

I think this would have been more appreciated as an after credits scene -thank you for watching- thing.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:55 am
Extraordinary

The film was okay. The humor felt flat half the time and the story was uneven. Some gorgeous visuals, although those were mostly scene in the trailers.

The credits scenes this time around suck.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:13 am
now we know

stuffp wrote:
I think this would have been more appreciated as an after credits scene -thank you for watching- thing.

Even if it's before the film, they're still thanking you for watching. But it's more of a "Thank you for buying the ticket. Thank you for not torrenting the cam version which is already online". ;)

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was really fun and often quite hilarious. Chris Hemsworth was at his most charismatic, and I loved Tessa Thompson and Cate Blanchett. Everyone looked like they were having a blast making it and it's colorful and exciting. Easily the best Thor movie and the best of the Marvel batch this year for me. B+

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:40 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

On repeat viewing it got better with comedy but the story's non-existence became even more prevalent (aka the movie is just one big escape from an island). Asgard is there only for fight scenes.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:26 pm

Top tier Marvel A-

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:07 am
Pure Phase

It has certain hard-to-deny storytelling and structural issues—despite being played by arguably the most celebrated actress of her generation, Hela is another fairly bland Marvel-movie antagonist, rote in her motivation and too easily vanquished—but Taika Waititi turns it into a gem with his singular sense of humor, sumptuously candied aesthetic, and flair for world building and the outlandish in general. Similar to Guardians of the Galaxy, the film is simply a pleasure to watch from moment to moment, from sight gag to sight gag, and this is a welcome change of pace from the torpid Thor: The Dark World.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:33 am
David wrote:
Hela is...too easily vanquished

She destroyed Thor's hammer, gouged out one of his eyes, and ultimately could only be defeated by putting Ragnarok into effect--completely decimating Asgard in the process (leaving all remaining Asgardians adrift on a random spaceship).

How is that easy? :mer:

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:48 am
Pure Phase

I see your point. But there is still a sense of an anticlimax. Maybe because cataclysmic threats are now so commonplace to as to be numbing.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:50 am
I know what you mean. The stakes for all these movies are blunted a bit, for me, but the fact that they announce so much of what's coming ahead of time. I mean, there's not exactly a question of Thor/Loki/Hulk's safety or if the galaxy will be DESTROYED OMG!! as that would derail all other movies.

That's why I liked this one a bunch, as it seemed entirely in it for fun. Not much in the way of deep drama, worrying about the world's safety, or whatever--just a silly space adventure with a great cast.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:56 am
On autopilot for the summer

Kind of loved it. For those that said Civil War was too breezy, this was taking it to the top of Mt. Everest. It's like an "anti Marvel" Marvel movie, and that's why it fits perfectly in with why Marvel and Disney continue to kill it.

I remember a few years back when everyone was bashing Ultron for setting up a Thor sequel, and he basically goes "Yeah I was looking for some stones for a bit, but that went no where" No one saw this sequel coming. I think there are some great dramatic beats as well (Hulk finally calming down was a very nice touch)

It's a group basically saying. Hey we did Thor twice already. The original Band is breaking up at next big one. So you have one chance to do whatever you want. This movie basically is what Jeff Goldblum is to people now. And oh my God this might be the definitive "What we perceive Jeff Goldblum to be" performance. It's brilliant. Great lines like "hey sparkles" to "why are you giving me the melting stick?"

I love this film just for the Loki play scene. I thought Blanchett was awesome, but I feel like she was a part of a much more structured film, and in the end she was kind of like edited as just "Hey there is a point" This film by all means shouldn't work. But I kind of loved most of it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:59 pm
Forum General

Really enjoyed it. It's easily the best Thor film for sure, but that honestly isn't saying much. Chris Hemsworth just owns the role now and I believe he has earned being synonymous with Thor as RDJ as Iron Man and Chris Evans as Captain America. Ruffalo is great here too and him and Hemsworth really do have some awesome bro chemistry. I'm also glad to see Hulk not being reduced to some raging, out of control monster anymore. They gave him a lot of personality in this one and my favorite scene is easily the argument between him and Thor about not smashing stuff lol. As for the rest of the cast I liked Blanchett as Hela, but she needed way more development IMO. She's still one of the better Marvel villains, but I'd put her under Ego and Vulture. Jeff Goldblum is Jeff Goldblum, but that really works here and he had me laughing quite a bit. Tessa Thompson was solid, but I don't get all the hype the early reviews were making out of her. She had some decent fight scenes and played well off of Hemsworth, Ruffalo and Hiddleston, but that's really about it. Korg and Miek were pretty amusing and I was surprised at how funny they made Urban in this, although I wish we got to see more of him being a badass. The action sequences in this movie aren't particularly great or anything special, but I did love seeing Thor go HAM in the opening scene and parts of the Arena fight were dope.

Poor Idris Elba looked like he didn't want to really be here at all, eventhough he had his moments, bu after seeing that first post credi scenet I wouldn't be surprised if he bites it in IW. Speaking of IW I was expecting more direct tie ins, but at least it's done better than Guardians 2.

B+

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Holds up, it's top tier Marvel. Masters the art of light hearted superhero flick. But lacks bite.

Still A-

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 pm

I'm excited to see if there will be a directors cut. Might be the breeziest 2.10 film I've ever seen. Every Scene had more to it it felt.

PS I thought there were some great dramatic moments in here (not really present in a Thor film before) I am extremely glad they stuck with the Natasha love angle as well. And while I was bummed Portman wouldn't be back, she really doesn't make sense anymore. (Though I hope on the DVD they filmed a breakup in a diner scene)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:27 pm
Keeping it Light

Marvel has made another winner with the 3rd Thor. Definitely a massive improvement over the first two Thor films, very much how I thought Captain America: The Winter Soldier improved over its first film. Ragnarok is a lot of fun anyway, the cast is great, Hemsworth in his best reprisal of Thor yet, Loki and The Hulk have some nice extended stretches of fun, Cate Blanchett is a good villain, and loved Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie. The film's special effects are also superb, sound is good, although I think they definitely could have done more with the score. The humor and action simply work and it makes for an enjoyable watch. But I also think the film doesn't really go outside of it's comfort zone, it feels very Marvel staple. I'm not familiar with the director, but it doesn't feel like there's a specific stamp on it. It's safe, but a very good kind of it.

B+

Last edited by stuffp on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:35 am

Also, dam, all this time I thought the main girl was Naomi Harris.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:03 pm
Romosexual!

If the Lego movies was part of the MCU then you'd get Thor:Ragnarok

B-

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next