Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Wheelman 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Wheelman 
Pure Phase

Post Wheelman

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:38 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Wheelman
A compact, entertaining action-suspense film, a type of minor-league relative of Drive and Locke. After proving his charismatic-masculine potency in The Grey, the Purge sequels, and a few Marvel films, Frank Grillo earns a lead action-hero role and acquits himself well. Set almost entirely within the confines of two cars over the course of a single evening, this heist film is gripping from moment to moment, though it could perhaps benefit from one or two extra car-chase set pieces.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:58 pm
Forum General

Now that was badass. This is exactly the kind of film I wanted out of Baby Driver which kind of failed to deliver IMO. It's nothing new, but David is right about how the style of it is very reminiscent of films like Drive, especially the car chase sequences, and I would even put Collateral in there because it definitely has those gritty, tense, almost handled action sequences which I loved. Frank Grillo just owns the screen the entire time and unlike Ansel Elgort is actually a likable and engaging lead. I also appreciated that their was no corny, romance bull shit to get in the way.

B+

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:14 pm
Keeping it Light

Wheelman is a very good film and within the first half I even pretty much fell in love with it. An excellent Grillo in the lead, and this pretty much felt like a Locke on steroids. It's not as much of a gripping drama as that was, and instead focuses on quick and fast action. It works and the film is a very enjoyable ride. While the daughter is good too, when "Grillo's" family gets involved and rivaling mobs become part of it in the background it takes its foot a bit of the gas for me. It ends up trying to do too much basically. Still, it has the right attention to detail, the director does a great job (hope to see more of him) of making this a haunting story behind the wheels. Grillo does everything right though, and I think higher of him after this film, which does a very nice job on the cinematography and score as well.

B+

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:22 am
Keeping it Light

And yeah, this could definitely draw comparisons to more other films, but it also just feels unique to me. I thought this year's Baby Driver was much more complete as an immersive film experience, but I also think they're still different types of film, despite both leads being a getaway driver. It's no Drive or Collateral either in terms of quality and plot development, but Wheelman is definitely one of the great surprises of this year.

Another film this reminded me of afterwards was 2013's Getaway, which I never saw, but know it was completely panned, and wonder if that's more similar to it in some way.

Oh, and Shea Whigham was great in the small role he had too.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:35 am
now we know

No mention of Caitlin Carmichael in your review. ;)

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

stuffp wrote:
And yeah, this could definitely draw comparisons to more other films, but it also just feels unique to me. I thought this year's Baby Driver was much more complete as an immersive film experience, but I also think they're still different types of film, despite both leads being a getaway driver. It's no Drive or Collateral either in terms of quality and plot development, but Wheelman is definitely one of the great surprises of this year.

Another film this reminded me of afterwards was 2013's Getaway, which I never saw, but know it was completely panned, and wonder if that's more similar to it in some way.

Oh, and Shea Whigham was great in the small role he had too.

Yeah Shea Whigham was really solid in the little bit of screen time he had, and I swear the guy is quickly becoming one of my favorite character actors working today. Also, it's definitely not as good as Drive or Collateral, but it's still a pretty great film in it's own right. Now, as far as my comparison to Baby Driver goes yes they are mostly completely different films and while I can understand why the majority would like Baby Driver more as a immersive film experience, like I said before in my review of that movie, the lead and the romance bullshit really bogs it down IMO.

Take Ansel Elgort and his love interest out that film, and I would have liked it a lot more. I know I'm only one of the very few to say that, but it's just how I feel and Wheelman is more of my kind of film anyways.

Also, Algren you need to see this as soon as possible. I'd be surprised if you didn't love it man.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:11 pm
now we know

Excellent film. An intense and visceral all-in-one-night action film about a bank heist gone awry. You stand side-by-side Frank Grillo's character all the way until the end, which is testament to its measured cinematography. We do not see these German power cars in full view, but a lack of aesthetic beauty only heightens the aural admiration. Grillo is outstanding, but Wheelman is a technical success more than anything else. The film's fast pace makes every decision and every call so exciting. It is a compelling watch, and would have been a potential masterpiece if the score had its own identity. Anyway, along with Good Time, this is one of the best under-the-radar films from 2017.

A-

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I have no idea why you guys are comparing it to Baby Driver. It is completely different. It is like comparing The Terminator to Waiting... because they both have characters that are waitresses. It's stupid. Wheelman evokes that real-time, street-lit energy that Collateral has, and also captures that limited-space vibe that Locke beheld, so I get those comparisons, but it is still very much its own beast.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Algren wrote:
I have no idea why you guys are comparing it to Baby Driver. It is completely different. It is like comparing The Terminator to Waiting... because they both have characters that are waitresses. It's stupid. Wheelman evokes that real-time, street-lit energy that Collateral has, and also captures that limited-space vibe that Locke beheld, so I get those comparisons, but it is still very much its own beast.

Yeah it's my fault, because I started it, but honestly I just couldn't help it. Maybe I am looking into too much, but I'll admit to being somewhat bothered by the fact I know by the time this year ends most people won't even have known about the movie, let alone seen it. It deserves just as much praise and attention as BD, but I get it.

Different distribution companies, and the more high profile director/cast makes a BIG difference. Still Wheelman deserves so much better IMO.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:11 pm
now we know

Dil wrote:
I'll admit to being somewhat bothered by the fact I know by the time this year ends most people won't even have known about the movie, let alone seen it. It deserves just as much praise and attention as BD

For sure, it is annoying. The most we can do is spread our enjoyment from it as much as we can.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]