Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Geostorm 

Rate this film:
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Geostorm 
Pure Phase

Post Geostorm

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:25 am
Top Poster

Post Re: Geostorm
Normally I like dumb popcorn movies but this didn't even get it that right. It requires an enormous amount of toss your logic aside and doesn't really give you any likable characters. Lastly the plot and evil plan want to be so serious but are even sillier and dumber than a box of rocks for cereal

Earth has bad weather in 2019 so the world bands together in a couple of years and builds the biggest , most complex space station with hundreds of satellites within 5 years that not only is able to stop bad weather as it's happening but also create storms so powerful that they can destroy entire cities within seconds. Some one hacks the entire system and at every investigation point revelation someone gets offed before the truth is revealed.

The effects are decent but we've seen them in at least a dozen other disaster movies.

D

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:27 am
---------

Ha, I just noticed the dad and daughter in the poster - pretty grim and specific, even for a disaster movie, no?

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:49 am
Superman: The Movie

Yeah, I noticed them when I saw the poster the other day. I found it odd because the trailer makes it seem like Butler spends most of the film up in space away from his daughter. You’d think the image of the wave and the airplane would be enough.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its BAD and that's all I am going to say about this. The effects are decent but the use of them specially the lightning is cheesy, corny and BAD. Butler and Sturgess do well and surprisingly the daughter has a bigger arc than required. Worst performance ever from Cornish. Its fun popcorn movie but its bad in almost all the aspects it aspires to.

4/10

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:20 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

MGKC wrote:
Ha, I just noticed the dad and daughter in the poster - pretty grim and specific, even for a disaster movie, no?

Its even more weird in the movie as the daughter's is supposedly the most serious and unwanted arc in the movie.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:24 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie is atrocious. Ghastly performances across the board, terrible dialogue and cheap looking special effects. It's funny that a movie that's essentially a mish-mash of every disaster movie ever made ends up being the worst of the bunch. D-

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:12 pm
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

Geostorm is an old school disaster movie done right - properly cheesy as God intended. *A-*

Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:46 am
now we know

I like Gerard Butler, but he picked a stinker here. This was complete trash, and wouldn't have even been good back in disaster movie heyday. Poorly written and sloppily executed. It is so generic, even though it thinks it is cutting edge with its global warming theme. It is so obvious that Ed Harris is the villain from the minute you see him because, well, IT IS ED HARRIS. Jim Sturgess is annoying and when he's in a film you usually know it's going to be crap. He looks out of place and sounds like Nick Stahl in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. That also goes for Andy Garcia. A lot of the film just consists of Gerard Butler letting people know that he added something to the system when he built it in case of such an event. And when Abbie Cornish turns into super agent and turns the car into reverse while shooting out the chasing car's driver, well, I gave up on this film. The disaster sequences are few-and-far-between and aren't very good either. Daniel Wu did himself a favour by departing this film early.

So, yeah, this film is awful, and quite clearly made for the Chinese market. Not surprising that it's crap really since it is directed-produced-written by the producer and writer of Independence Day: Resurgence. This has got to the one that finally wins Devlin his Razzie. Oh, and the 3D is pointless and sucks.

D

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:43 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Dreadful, although I do not bear the film too much ill will because I laughed a fair amount toward the end. It is a total misfire, though, on nearly every conventional level. Most strangely, it hardly plays as a disaster film in the Irwin Allen or Day After Tomorrow sense. It is more a CBS-style procedural (lots of politicians, Secret Service agents, and scientists shouting exposition at one another in boardrooms or around computers) with occasional telephoned-in sequences of bad weather and citywide destruction. These scenes are decently realized by the F/X team, but they are too haphazardly inserted and disconnected from the main drama for there to be any genuine awe or suspense. I know the film underwent extensive changes after toxic test screenings (with Independence Day producer and first-time director Dean Devlin being replaced behind the camera by Danny Cannon, a television veteran with over 20 CSI-franchise credits), and it would be intriguing to know what was altered and to whom the various remaining parts can be attributed. The film shows signs of being argued over, condensed, expanded, remixed, smoothed, and otherwise manipulated, with nervous financiers desperate to wring an exciting enough global product out of a big-budget production gone awry.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:34 pm
Pure Phase

I felt secondhand humiliation for Abbie Cornish. What a nadir for an actress who gave such magnificent performances in Somersault and Bright Star. At least she is in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:41 pm
now we know

David wrote:
Independence Day producer and first-time director Dean Devlin being replaced behind the camera by Danny Cannon

Interesting. I did not know this.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I didn't think this was awful, but it takes itself too damn seriously and that really takes away from the fun. The effects aren't bad most of the time, although the disaster scenes do look like they came straight out of something from the Syfy channel. It's not like they even really matter though since 90% of this movie is more about government conspiracies which was a very odd decision IMO. Gerard Butler and Jim Sturgess are fine here, although neither are given much to work with, but you know Ed Harris is the villain the second he shows up, because it's fucking Ed Harris. Abbie Cornish easily gave the worst performance in this movie, but it's not like her role required her to do much outside of pointing a gun. Andy Garcia is pretty much just showing up in random films for paychecks now isn't he? After this it would a lot sense lol.

C

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:37 am
Cream of the Crop

Dil wrote:
it takes itself too damn seriously and that really takes away from the fun.

In my book, the serious tone is what sells the cheesiness - movies in this genre usually wink too broadly at the audience these days for them to achieve b-movie greatness.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]