Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Only the Brave (2017) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

Only the Brave (2017) 
Pure Phase

Post Only the Brave (2017)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:23 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Only the Brave (2017)
I thought this was solid if a bit overlong. It's no different than something like Deepwater Horizon but is bolstered by really strong performances. I thought both Miles Teller and particularly Jennifer Connelly were fantastic. This is Connelly's meatiest role in years. I was so happy to see she wasn't just another cliched worried wife character and actually had an arc. It's also a definite tearjerker and the ending is incredibly powerful. B/B+

Connelly could have been in the Best Supporting Actress conversation with a bit of a push. The scene with her in the truck with Brolin near the end was brilliant.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:32 pm
Profile YIM
Full Fledged Member

These “band of brothers” movies are often paint-by-numbersbut I thought this was a first rate entry into the “genre”, as it were . Specifically the casting helps it transcend its genre limits; Teller, Connelly, and especially Brilon are not only perfectly cast but turn in first-rate performances. The finale is both emotionally and visually breathtaking (no pun intended).

B+

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:56 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was shot nicely (specially the aerial or backdrops of fire) but the story was weak IMO. The fire scenes were not intense enough specially the final scene; it goes by very fast. The performances are what keeps the movie afloat. Teller, Brolin and Connelly were great here, the rest of the supporting cast do well but no one shines outside of these three characters. There was particularly lesser impact because we are not emotionally connected to most of the families. The training and fighting fire tips were executed very well particularly the tree saving scene and even though long the movie doesn't overstays its welcome.

6/10

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:12 pm
Extraordinary

ONLY THE BRAVE

I enjoyed the film. I thought the actors they focused on were good. Kitsch, Brolin and Miles Teller. I also thought Jennifer Connelly was good. I liked how they built up to the incident showing various fires and what the crew actually did in that position. It was part educational and dramatization. The final event itself was short and the aftermath emotional. I liked seeing the images of the actual men during the credits. Lastly, I think this was more suited for a tv movie rather than feature film.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:47 am
Pure Phase

A satisfying, sturdy disaster-film-cum-male-melodrama in the vein of, say, The Perfect Storm or Peter Berg's recent output. A film in which entertainment and pathos is derived from problems arising and then being solved, repeat, until tragedy befalls our heroes. Every element, from the acting to the photography, is efficient, heartfelt, and unpretentious.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:49 pm
now we know

This is crap. It is meant to be about fires, but most of the time it is bullshit melodrama about their wives and children. We hardly ever see fire-action scenes. Even the Howie Long actioner, Firestorm, had better fire-action than this. And it is such an unlikable crew. Tattooed, bearded, greasy, Arizonian bros that eat and sleep the life. Any conflict between them is hurriedly passed over so they can become the best bros on the planet. Jennifer Connelly gave a great performance, but Miles Teller is just so bad here. The scene where he has to be upset after his 19 buddies die is embarrassing. And Jeff Bridges is annoying. Such a touchy-feely old-timer, and when he's bellowing out country tunes with his guitar I was praying for a fire to start in the cinema! It is such a sickly wank-job for these characters too, but the film has nothing to say besides 'these men were great'. Boooooooooring. And it teaches us nothing about forest fires and the techniques they employ. I had no idea why they were doing certain things, but the film just assumes we all know this stuff, because, you know, fighting forest fires is a skill as widely known as gardening! Kosinski has fallen a long way from his magnum opus, Oblivion. Here's hoping he regains some talent again in time for Maverick.

D

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:54 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeah I can't say I was much of a fan of this one either. This film felt so shallow IMO and a lot of it was pretty boring. Its a shame that there are so many good actors in it too, because the performances definitely aren't the problem, but I honestly couldn't get that invested in any of the characters. It sucks what happened to those guys though and while I did feel a little emotion for them towards the end its only because I felt sympathetic for the real people involved but not the actual characters in the movie which is definitely a problem for a movie like this.

D+

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]