Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Snowman (2017) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

The Snowman (2017) 
Pure Phase

Post The Snowman (2017)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:21 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Snowman (2017)
This is a dreadful film, a twenty-car collision of sketchily developed subplots and morose melodrama going nowhere of note at a very slow pace. It is a major failure by gifted Swedish director Tomas Alfredson after the excellent pairing of Let the Right One In and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy; his previous ability to generate an atmosphere of dread and draw suspense from complex, methodical storytelling abandons him entirely. He seems aware of his false move, already citing an abbreviated shooting schedule and a troubled post-production in interviews. The film is bad in a variety of ways. Certain ones are more banal: Michael Fassbender's unfortunately named protagonist, Harry Hole, is a trite cipher. Another standard-issue ingenious-but-tortured detective with the expected accoutrements—a bottle of vodka here, a half-smoked cigarette there—and a dearth of distinctive traits. Lip service is paid to how brave, clever, and incisive he is, but we never see this in action. Then there are the more extremely bad (or bizarre) elements, the ones betraying a deeply misguided or compromised production. Consider the entirety of poor Val Kilmer's involvement. He plays yet another alcoholic detective investigating serial murders in Bergen a decade prior to the main events of the film. He has four or five scenes, each randomly inserted with no regard for clarity or rhythm. And the few times he opens his mouth, a voice escapes which is decidedly not the voice of Kilmer. The voice barely syncs with the movement of his lips. So we have an iconic-if-volatile movie star, bloated, lumbering, uncomfortable, and...poorly dubbed, and this epitomizes what a haphazard and ungainly enterprise The Snowman is.

F

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:21 am
On autopilot for the summer

I wouldn't go so far as an F. But this is a prime example of how not to make an adaptation. It wastes its talent and source material. It's the type of thriller that may have done well in the late 90s before TV made better stories on credible series. Reminds me of the Bone Collector (Which I actually really like, and would have loved to see Jolie and Washington do more books) but it's even worse than safe. Walk Among the Tombstones did it better as a throwback.

C- for completely forgettable. Has some nice cinematography and the acting is fine. Would have served better as a series for Fassbender's character.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:47 am
Keeping it Light

An apt, slow burn thriller. I was liking this quite a lot, but like the story setting, the characters it self left me a bit cold and it ended with a bit of a thud too. Perhaps the tone of the last act felt rushed, some more attention to detail could have improved the film.
For the most part however, this was an enjoyable viewing experience.

B

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:45 pm
Keeping it Light

David wrote:
the few times he opens his mouth, a voice escapes which is decidedly not the voice of Kilmer. The voice barely syncs with the movement of his lips. So we have an iconic-if-volatile movie star, bloated, lumbering, uncomfortable, and...poorly dubbed, and this epitomizes what a haphazard and ungainly enterprise The Snowman is.

This WAS super odd, I was constantly trying to convince myself, oh, so this is how Kilmer sounds like now. I had no idea, I liked Kilmer's involvement though, always liked his early career, but there was something off about it.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:48 pm
Forum General

Yeah this was a pretty awful film. Fassbender and Ferguson aren't bad performance wise, but I hardly gave a shit about anyone or anything. Honestly, if I wasn't such a completionist I probably wouldn't have even finished it, but hey it did have some nice cinematography and a part of me was curious enough to see how it would end which unsurprisingly, is in one giant, ridiculous thud. I also really hated what they did with Val Kilmer in this. From the atrocious dubbing with his voice which never synced up at all to him just looking uncomfortable, awkward and lumbering the whole time.

D

Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:22 pm
now we know

Yeah, not very good at all. I knew way too early who the killer was just from a few observational clues - I really shouldn't have had those presented to me! The story and the way it unfolds is just lame. And there are some weird voice fuck ups in this film. The obvious and most embarrassing is Val Kilmer, but also J.K. Simmons has a weird voice too. A bizarre, disappointment of a film.

D+

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was absolutely dreadful. The plot makes absolutely no sense, the attempts at scares are hilarious, and it drags and drags until the blatantly obvious big reveal at the end. Michael Fassbender delivers an awful, charisma-free performance too. D-

And everyone (Val Kilmer obviously, but everyone else) sounded like they had been dubbed over with other actors.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:55 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]