Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Art of Self-Defense 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Art of Self-Defense 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Art of Self-Defense

Quote:
The Art of Self-Defense is a 2019 American black comedy martial arts film written and directed by Riley Stearns, and starring Jesse Eisenberg, Alessandro Nivola and Imogen Poots. It had its world premiere at South by Southwest on March 10, 2019 and was released in the United States on July 12, 2019 by Bleecker Street.

Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:57 pm
Forum General

Post Re: The Art of Self-Defense
A pretty solid little dark comedy. Really solid performances all around, especially from Eisenberg and Nivola and man you would think with all the stupid controversy around Joker more of those easily triggered babies would have went ape shit over this. It's goes in some really dark and disturbing places man, and honestly this and Dragged Across Concrete might be some of the most unsettling films I have seen in a while.

B

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:39 am
Wallflower

I was glad I caught this in theaters. I really loved it at first but damn it gets dark and fucked up during the second half. As an animal lover I have to say a dog getting killed disturbed me and left a bad taste in my mouth. If it weren't for that this would have been an A-. Other than that it's quite fucking funny (especially at first) and still a damn good movie.

8/10 (B+)

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:38 pm
Defeats all expectations

I think it was a great satire. Seeing in the movie that the culture of macho masculinity in the dojo was created and sustained for the sake of creating and sustaining such culture induced a nodding smile in me. This is the kind of movies that one would want to watch a second time to see what might be missed in the first viewing.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:13 pm
Defeats all expectations

Dil wrote:
A pretty solid little dark comedy. Really solid performances all around, especially from Eisenberg and Nivola and man you would think with all the stupid controversy around Joker more of those easily triggered babies would have went ape shit over this. It's goes in some really dark and disturbing places man, and honestly this and Dragged Across Concrete might be some of the most unsettling films I have seen in a while.

B

Because Joker got a wide release which the other two movies didn't get. I also think Joker's story being so predictable and on the surface was more prone to criticism of being exploitative.

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]