Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Foreigner (2017) 

Rate this film:
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Foreigner (2017) 
Pure Phase

Post The Foreigner (2017)

Quote:
The Foreigner is an English-language action thriller film directed by Martin Campbell and written by David Marconi, based on the 1992 novel The Chinaman by Stephen Leather.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:41 am
now we know

Brilliant film. A de-Jackie Chan-ized serious action thriller about the modern day face of the IRA, and a rogue cell within, and the inner workings to get the pardoned un-pardoned. Great story, which places it at the front of current events and fears. Well directed by Martin Campbell, nicely scored by Cliff Martinez, and credibly acted by all including Jackie Chan (nice to see him in a serious role again - the first that I recall since Shinjuku Incident), who while is also the producer (and executive producer) doesn't let his brand of comic fighting plague the movie (just one scene is noticeably "Jackie Chan stunt team"). And the focus of the story isn't Chan and his dead daughter. It is what sparks it all, but it represented more value that the story was more than just a revenge actioner. Brosnan is fantastic sporting his native Irish accent (does he ever fail?), and the British come out of this looking pretty good, so all-in-all a very pleasing counter-terrorism action film with some great action and lots of interesting survival and technical creativity.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: The Foreigner (2017)
Pretty fantastic. The trailer had me hoping for at least a good film and it completely delivered. Lots of double crosses, intriguing plot line and Chan in a delightful, almost cast against type considering his recent outings, role Brosnan is also at his best in this Martin Campbell directed film, who delivers another hit. Cliff Martinez's score further settles this down as a tense watch. One thing I wondered along watching the film, they really should have called it "The Chinaman", especially since I've now found out it's based on a book actually called that. Hope Chan, Brosnan and Campbell will involve themselves with more projects like this.

A-

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:09 am
now we know

The SJWs would tear it a new one if they called it "The Chinaman", and I believe it would limit the film's potential more than calling it The Foreigner.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Yeah, I can understand it from a marketing perspective, but I feel it's a shame as it would have rung better to me.

The Chinese name of the film is "英倫對決" btw, which means "Battle in Britain".

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:50 am
Cream of the Crop

The Foreigner is a nicely done little revenge thriller elevated by Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan in the leads. Too bad they had to disinter the IRA as the terrorists, but I suppose writers are tired of middle eastern villains. There used to be a straightforward adult film like this every week back in the 80's, before kids' movies took over the box office. *A-*

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:47 pm
The Kramer

I was enjoying this movie through the first half. Chan's storyline is emotionally devastating and you buy it when he (seemingly) irrationally puts the burden of his tragedy on Pierce Brosnan's shoulders. The second half is much more interested in the politics of the modern IRA then resolving its story in a satisying way. So I lost interest, but still respect what the film was trying to do.

C+

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:49 pm
Forum General

I enjoyed it. It's more of a conspiracy/political thriller than I was expecting, but once you get to the good stuff in the second half that's when it really took off for me. As good as Chan is here I was more impressed with Brosnan. I honestly thought he was great, especially in some of the more intense scenes like the two he has with the McGrath character. His one liners with the Irish accent were pretty hilarious too. I got to give credit to Chan in terms of the action though, because he really kicked ass in this and I didn't notice a single stunt double either.

B

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]