Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Gerald's Game 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Gerald's Game 
Pure Phase

Post Gerald's Game

Quote:
Gerald's Game is a 2017 American psychological horror film directed and edited by Mike Flanagan and written by Jeff Howard and Flanagan. It is based on Stephen King's novel of the same name.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:53 pm
Forum General

Post Re: Gerald's Game
This was fantastic. Carla Gugino kills it and Mike Flanagan is really starting to impress me as an upcoming director. I wasn't a big fan of Oculus, but I enjoyed Hush and Ouija: Origin of Evil. This is easily his best film yet and I honestly can't wait to see what him and David F. Sandberg do next. I've never read or heard of the novel, but if someone was tell me it was based on something by Stephen King I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

This movie just oozes with his kind of dark malevolence, especially those nightmare/flashback sequences. There's some truly creepy and striking imagery in this as well that I loved.

Spoiler: show
Those scenes with the Eclipse were jaw droppingly gorgeous and the use of the Moonlight Man was very effective

Last edited by Dil on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:14 am
Wallflower

I thought it was solid. Gugino was great. I agree those eclipse scenes, while creepy given the context, were absolutely stunning to look at. One scene had my hand over my mouth the entire time. The ending wasn't great though. But that's to be expected from Stephen King.

Flanagan did a great job with the film.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:55 am
now we know

My friend posted to Facebook: "WORST FILM IV EVER SEEN". I'd never even heard of it!! :funny:

Gugino is fucking hot, though.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Well that's a little extreme :P. Reviews are fantastic. I'm a little surprised by how good they are but it's definitely a good flick.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:48 am
Pure Phase

This Stephen King adaptation is well-acted (a definite career highlight and chance to shine for Carla Gugino) and stylishly crafted, but it slightly irritated me, too. It almost defuses the incredibly claustrophobic and isolated nature of the heroine's predicament—chained to a bed in an empty vacation home over half a mile from the nearest person—with so many busy flourishes: her trains of thought rendered as imaginary conversations with her dead husband and a version of herself, scenes from the past revealing traumatic sexual abuse, etc. It would be even scarier if felt...lonelier, if it embraced silence and shadow a bit more often. And the last five or so minutes are just obviously poor: overly expository, odd, heavy-handed, calling out to be cut. At the same time, though, there are a few ingeniously executed, hard-to-forget moments of suspense and violence, and Gugino's physical commitment and emotional intensity truly are quite captivating.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:48 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Another Mike Flanagan snoozefest. It's only worth watching for Gugino's committed performance. C

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:53 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

Carla Gugino carries this movie and its a well made movie aside from the final moments. It only fails in generating that chained-alone-in-the-house feeling aside from one scene with Moonlight Man. The entire movie having the conversations with husband and self images was distracting and took away most of the suspense from the movie. I never read the book but given the ending I really don't feel like reading it anymore.

6/10

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:01 pm
now we know

Fuck me, what a superbly intense film. I had no idea really what to expect when I decided to watch this, and sometimes those are the best ones. It is a film of many faces. One moment petrifying, the next problem-solving, then contemplative, and finally wince-inducing. The cast is fucking great; Gugino obviously puts in a spectacularly committed performance, and the ripped Greenwood just gets to relish playing the bad guy. Great film. I kind of guessed it might've been based on a book about half way through, but really had no idea until I saw Stephen King come up at the end. Oh, and that final reveal is extremely frightening.

A

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This has a great premise, and there's intrigue in what's to happen next, but it's child abuse angle and molestation don't feel very fresh. I did really like the ending and Gugino acts desperation well, the back and forth with the voices unveiling back story keeps things interesting, but it's a too superficial also making it not really haunting. The ending with the crypt creeper being real gave it a good energetic finish.

B

Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]