Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Stronger 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Stronger 
Pure Phase

Post Stronger

Quote:
Stronger is a 2017 American biographical drama film directed by David Gordon Green and written by John Pollono, based on the memoir of the same name by Jeff Bauman and Bret Witter.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:46 pm
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Stronger
Stronger is straight out of the Lifetime network playbook - a weepy handicap movie. And really, within that genre it's well above average. I might have even rated it an *A* if it weren't for the incessant rah-rah patriotism that lowers it all to glossy propaganda. Tatiana Maslany was excellent despite not having much to work with here. Stronger ends up being a weaker *C*

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:17 am
Forum General

Great film. Of course, some will call it a weepy Lifetime movie, but I thought this was a much more effective film compared to something like Patriots Day which is what people will compare it too the most given the subject matter. Jake Gyllenhaal gives one of his most commanding and emotionally resonant performances I have seen from him in a while, and unlike Walhberg in Patriots Day he actually felt like a real guy and not some glorified add in. Hell I even really enjoyed the supporting characters here, especially Miranda Richardson, Tatiana Maslany, Richard Lane Jr. and Nate Richman. His uncle was pretty damn funny guy too and it was nice seeing Clancy Brown in there as well. The guy who plays Carlos who comes in towards the end of the film was a great and interesting inclusion too.

B+

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:37 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Jake and Tatiana were brilliant and the moments between them really landed. I hated the family though. They were all hugely obnoxious. B

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 pm
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

I missed this when it came out, but been wanting to see it since mainly because of Gyllenhaal. Finally got to it, and it appears I didn't miss much. The film has some merit for having its roots in a devastating terrorist attack, but as far as the story of Bauman goes, it didn't quite hit any nerves for me. I don't think it's because of Gyllenhaal, he's good and transforms into the role, but rather the character which doesn't have much to tell beyond what's expected from a survivor.
Because of its tragedy regardless, it's hard not to admire anyone enduring an attack like this and surviving and some of this admiration extents onto the film too. But it's just not quite that dramatic or inspiring that I'd be recommending this. I think for impact it would have been better if it had played out the immediate aftermath as it happened instead of returning to it later as it did now.

B-

Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]