Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 American Made 

Rate this film:
A 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

American Made 
Pure Phase

Post American Made

Quote:
American Made is a 2017 American biographical crime film directed by Doug Liman, written by Gary Spinelli and starring Tom Cruise.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 pm
We had our time together

Post Re: American Made
Solid movie with a fantastic performance by Cruise. It's nothing we've never seen before but it goes by fast and is fairly entertaining. A step-up from so-lala Jack Reacher and the horrible Mummy.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:48 am
Profile WWW
now we know

We're all seen this type of film before, and American Made is a top-notch version of it, but with the added quality of Mr. Tom Cruise, this becomes something else. Cruise plays a meat-on-the-bones character once again, and it's lovely to see. Great film, great story, just a thrill ride from start to finish, and pretty funny too (for example the George W. Bush scene is great). It is cool, and being based on a true story is just incredibly interesting. Oh, and Domhnall Gleeson is great in the role of the CIA operative, "Schafer", contrary to my criticism of him beforehand.

Doug Liman strikes another winner.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:04 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
American Made

We're all seen this type of film before, and American Made is a top-notch version of it, but with the added quality of Mr. Tom Cruise, this becomes something else. Cruise plays a meat-on-the-bones character once again, and it's lovely to see. Great film, great story, just a thrill ride from start to finish, and pretty funny too (for example the George W. Bush scene is great). It is cool, and being based on a true story is just incredibly interesting. Oh, and Domhnall Gleeson is great in the role of the CIA operative, "Schafer", contrary to my criticism of him beforehand.

Doug Liman strikes another winner.

A-

It’s we’ve you fucking moron?

Dam do you actually feel good when you do that? Or is it all ego? This is my 5th edit and I still hate it. I’ll never get the allure of correcting someone on the most meaningless website, and requires no effort, and the majority of stuff is autocorrected.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:33 pm
Keeping it Light

This was very enjoyable with Tom Cruise at his best. Liman has shown to be very capable in making entertaining pictures and American Made is no different. A interesting biopic, but above all it's just a lot of fun. It has a nice supporting cast of mostly lesser or unknown actors too, which all works well together but it's simply Cruise who shines (a relief especially after the deflating Jack Reacher 2 and The Mummy). The film makes all the right turns, opening with Cruise as a cheeky pilot, nice flight scenes, encounters in Colombia and life back at home. Domhnall Gleeson felt quite out of place from the start though, eventually he grew on me, but I'd say he wasn't the best fit for 'Schafer'.

A-

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:34 am
Keeping it Light

Oh, and Cruise's wife in the film (Sarah Wright), almost too hot for Cruise even.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:45 am
Pure Phase

This film is tremendous fun. Yes, we have seen these rise-and-fall, cash-and-cocaine beats before (in Scarface, Blow, Lord of War, several Scorsese films, etc.), but familiarity is not a sin in and of itself. Particularly not when the content is delivered with such panache; this is exciting (particularly the aerial sequences), fast-paced, funny, laced with sociopolitical cynicism, and led by Tom Cruise in fine, spry form. Though not the flashiest or boldest director in the game, Doug Liman has become a sound, consistent craftsman-journeyman with a flair for mid-level suspense films.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:54 pm
Superman: The Movie

The movie is lucky to have Cruise because it would otherwise be incredibly average. Just look at his family. They could've been completely excised from the film. It wouldn't have made an impact on the story at all. The real guy was divorced three times within the general time period so what could've been an interesting amalgamation of the three families bundled into one really goes nowhere. Or going the three wives route would've been interesting, but this film seems to have a weird apprehension about not making Cruise look bad. Also, the way they handle the family is just so lazy that they don't even bother with stereotypical concerned/"nagging" wife role. She just goes along with everything he says until just about the last 15 minutes. And while she is very easy on the eyes, Sara Wright doesn't leave any mark. She's almost a void.

What works though is Cruise. He's why the film ultimately works. This might not be the peak of his charismatic powers (Top Gun/Cocktail), but it's pretty damn close. And the flying sequences are incredibly well done. He probably didn't need to fly the planes on his own, but Cruise's batshitiness give the scenes an added thrill.

With a better director and a more fleshed out script, this could've been something special. But like most of Doug Liman's work, it's fine.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:37 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

American Made is competently made, but lacking in overall zip. I enjoyed the oblique peak at 80's US history and the plane scenes were flyboy catnip. Acting wise, Tom Cruise's it. (Though before long I wanted to smack that smirk off of Domhnall Gleeson's flushed face.) The parts were greater than the whole - definitely in the lower range of Doug Liman's filmography. *B*

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:46 pm
Forum General

Solid flick, but I believe it could have been better. Liman does a capable enough job in terms of directing and Cruise is great, but it feels like it's lacking something. Honestly, as breezy and entertaining as this film is they probably play it a little too safe IMO. Not that I was expecting this to be another Sicario, but after that film and watching stuff like Narcos I'll admit that I do like my crime dramas with a bit more grit to them. I really do wonder what someone like Michael Mann could have done with this, because this kind of film would have fit him perfectly. Anyways, it's fine for what it is and I hope to see Cruise do more stuff like this instead of shit like The Mummy or any other unnecessary franchise reboots/sequels.

B

Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:26 am
The Kramer

American Made has a great style. The sights and sounds of the film are top notch, every shot is beautiful.

There is a huge tonal clash though and it makes all the excellent cinematography go to waste. This movie wants to be both Blow and The Wolf of Wall Street. But Blow worked because it took its story seriously and Wolf works because it never takes its story seriously. Through the tone of the movie is a comedy, the script wants us to like Tom Cruise. The bored every man who just wants a bit of adventure. Except he’s already a pilot. He doesn’t seem to have any redeemable features besides loving his family, but they sure do go back to those family scenes alot. With his gorgeous and loyal wife whose own character traits end there. What am I supposed to latch on to here? And barely any scene lasts longer than two minutes so the movie justs drags on and on with more of the same.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:38 pm
Keeping it Light

Liked the start of your review, but further on I disagree.

AM is not as good as Wolf but also certainly no worse than Blow, it does do a bit of both indeed, but I think that does work. Just a very fun film. Probably I compare it the most with War Dogs from last year which I enjoyed a lot too.

You should watch WD if you haven't seen it yet, would look forward to hear what you think.qa

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:00 am
The Kramer

I haven’t seen Blow in a while, but I remember watching it a bunch in my teens when highly stylized crime movies were my favorites.

I’ll give War Dogs a shot. I believe its on HBO. I usually like Todd Phillips.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:54 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Magnus wrote:
the definition of a meh movie.

Same for me. Pretty much everything is good but nothing stands out. Cruise ofcourse is the right anchor for this movie.

5/10

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:57 pm
The Kramer

I dunno actually. I’d bet that all of the tone clashing family scenes were put in by Cruise to protect his character. I’m a big fan, but that’s the difference between he and Leo. DiCaprio is not only is willing to roll around in the dirt, but is eager to do so.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:08 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Unfortunately I found this rather dull, which is a shame because I love Cruise and Liman. It just didn't work for me. C

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:11 pm
Profile YIM
Defeats all expectations

The Barry Seal movie could bring new perspectives to question the status quo of US foreign policy. But unfortunately it is limited by the laid-back and sunny style and tone of the movie which often ventures into familiar zones.

Barry Seal is a character of irony; his love of adventures and care-free living is ultimately hindered by his means of achieving them. The government he once works for and takes advantage of is the same one that later uses and plays him to his demise for its own goal. It would be a great movie if director Doug Liman managed to use Barry Seal's point of view to highlight more of these ironies. Yet it settles for being a decent, capable but toothless movie. In summary, it is good stylish storytelling with cameras but lacks point of view.

73/100 (B)

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]