Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Battle of the Sexes 

Rate this film:
A 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
B 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Battle of the Sexes 
Pure Phase

Post Battle of the Sexes

Quote:
Battle of the Sexes is a 2017 American biographical comedy-drama sports film directed by Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris and written by Simon Beaufoy.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:44 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Battle of the Sexes
Kinda uneven but it's an easy watch. Emma Stone is great, not really Oscar winner worthy like I've seen some people say though.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:13 pm
Cream of the Crop

Battle of the Sexes does a reasonable job of giving context to the social norms of that time. However, it zoomed in on the multitudinous relationship dynamics so much that it was grazing soap opera territiory. The two leads were excellent, so I'm blaming the directors for a lack of zing in this docudrama. *B*v*B*

Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:38 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I loved it. Emma was amazing. If she didn't win this year she'd be the frontrunner for Best Actress, IMO. A-

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:10 pm
Profile YIM
---------

I really enjoyed this as well. Steve Carrell was born to play Bobby Riggs it seems. I thought Emma was great as well - I could definitely see a Best Actress nomination from that.

A-

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:31 am
Superman: The Movie

It’s a 120 minute film trapped in a 150 minute film’s body. Almost all of the interesting things happen at the end of the film in cards explaining what happened to the real Bobby and BJK. You know what would’ve been interesting to see? How Bobby and BJK became friends in real life. If I remember correctly, they talked on the phone at least once a week until the day Bobby died. The only hint of that we get is in a black and white photo of the two of them at the end.

But that’s not what this film is. This film is a direct fuck you to the 2016 Presidential Election. I’m not sure if it was intended that way from the very beginning, but that’s what it is and it works. Especially when you’ve got Stone and Riggs giving two incredibly compelling performances. Why does Riggs’ son back out of going with him though to the match? Revenge? Who cares? We got to focus on equality and not the humans. I don’t want to say that Riggs and BJK are treated as pawns in their own story, especially since I think they’d both be in favor of the film’s message. But they’re kind of pawnish.

Its good. Could’ve been great though.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I was wondering why Rigg's son didn't go too. It's not even touched upon. But the movie was great. Emma Stone is absolutely wonderful. A shame she won't even likely get nominated for Best Actress. It's just too crowded a race this year. Glad she already won last year at least. What really worked for me was the romance between the two women. I got butterflies. That hair cutting scene was so beautiful and erotic.

8/10 (A-)

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:35 pm
now we know

Yep, good film. Didn't blow me away, but it is by far the best tennis movie ever made. That's interesting, though. Why is it so hard to make a great tennis film? I mean, it is miles better than this year's other tennis flick, Borg vs McEnroe, but that's not saying much. Emma Stone is good. I like her in anything but she irked me as Billie Jean King as she does not fully transform into her. I just see Emma Stone. I actually think Steve Carell gave a much better performance, even if he was essentially just Austin Powers-lite. But neither give Oscar worthy performances. Good performances, but there are many better this year.

So it is an enjoyable film and I loved learning about this "Battle of the Sexes" match and the origin of the WTA, but I also think it was a little shallow. I suppose I should have known that going in. It is, after all, called Battle of the Sexes! It's hardly subtle. But I would have liked more flesh on the bones. They tried with the introduction of King's sexuality, which was nicely done but it wasn't deep enough, and perhaps an epilogue.

Also, what I do not understand about this match is ... what did it really prove? The female world number 1 beat a 55-year-old retired male. Shouldn't she be playing Ilie Năstase (or whoever was the male world number 1 at that time)? It only really shut Bobby Riggs up. Which is not a small feat, but still hardly movie worthy.

So, yeah, more than a few niggles but overall it is an interesting, educational watch, and delight in terms of costume and production design in recreating the early 70s sporting vibe.

B+

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:48 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The match proves nothing, for sure. There are incredible male tennis players and incredible female tennis players with varying strengths and strategies, and they could undoubtedly beat one another in various matches on various surfaces, etc., etc. I believe this match is worthy of dramatization, though, because of the personalities involved and how well it functions as a lens through which to consider the overarching sexual politics of this era in culture and sport.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:20 pm
Forum General

A perfectly enjoyable film, but I found nothing special or great about it. Emma Stone and Steve Carell give solid performances, especially Carell who is the main reason why I stayed invested in the story, but neither are Oscar worthy IMO.

B

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 pm
now we know

Yeah. I feel we have similar taste in films, Dil. Your opinion here is exactly like mine. I suppose I just love Emma Stone a tad more so am happy to give the extra plus.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
Also, what I do not understand about this match is ... what did it really prove? The female world number 1 beat a 55-year-old retired male. Shouldn't she be playing Ilie Năstase (or whoever was the male world number 1 at that time)? It only really shut Bobby Riggs up. Which is not a small feat, but still hardly movie worthy.

Hint: This story was never about tennis.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:27 am
Keeping it Light

I liked it, but there's just too many story lines going on to make any of them really engaging. Stone is good, but Carell is better. What stuck with me, is that I'd probably would have enjoyed a documentary about this more, and that overall it's just a bit messy. It's solid and a nice depiction of that time, but it's too muddled to stand out.

B

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]