Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Wall (2017) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Wall (2017) 
Pure Phase

Post The Wall (2017)

Quote:
The Wall is a 2017 American war thriller film directed by Doug Liman and written by Dwain Worrell.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:27 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Wall (2017)
This is a small, impressive film, a neat exercise in minimalism and suspense by Doug Liman between two far larger Tom Cruise vehicles (Edge of Tomorrow and American Made). As a director of this type of single-location, almost-real-time film, he does everything required of him quite well, from clearly establishing distances and geography to maintaining a steadily mounting sense of desperation and dread. Aaron Taylor-Johnson is tremendous in the lead role; his exertion is palpable, and he clearly conveys his character's emotions and thoughts process, often only through body language. John Cena is fine, too, albeit in a far more limited role requiring brief macho charisma and a lot of lying motionless. Taylor-Johnson's real co-star/foil is the voice of English actor and playwright Laith Nakli; he conjures a rather diabolical and haunting foe without ever appearing onscreen.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:40 am
Keeping it Light

The Wall is a cool, doing much with little, film. It's as interesting cat and mouse thriller that does a very good job of keeping tension throughout. Even just by voice, the enemy sniper controls the film and the story with his marksmanship and psychological warfare. Unfortunately it was ATJ's character who I couldn't really bond with, and thus it lacked that extra suspense by having me care more for his life on a string. Also more depth into what drove the enemy sniper I would have appreciated, but the story moves along well with ATJ desperately trying to get the better of his nemesis in an underdog position. It entertains successfully.

B

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 am
Forum General

A pretty solid war thriller. Aaron Taylor-Johnson is easily the star of the show, and while there isn't a whole lot to his character he's acting his ass off regardless. I was honestly expecting more from John Cena though considering his involvement, but it is kind of clever how they use him.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:24 pm
now we know

Highly enjoyed this. I love sniper films, and this is a good one. I'd have preferred more cat and mouse, back and forth, mind games etc., but it was good nonetheless. I love the confined space aspect, and the limited knowledge of your enemy, and him being one step ahead. And I loved that this script takes aim at the Americans being the terrorists. The "Hadji" puts it brilliantly when being told he's a terrorist ... "You are the one that has come to another man's country". The ending was kind of obvious, but at that stage the gripping nature to the film has conjured up such elation at their rescue that just seeing the final turn take place is simultaneously a gut blow and exciting.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]