Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Kingsman: The Golden Circle 

Rate This Film
A 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Kingsman: The Golden Circle 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Quote:
Kingsman: The Golden Circle is an upcoming action spy comedy film co-written, co-produced and directed by Matthew Vaughn. It is a sequel to the 2015 film Kingsman: The Secret Service, which is based on the comic book of the same name, created by Dave Gibbons and Mark Millar. Like the first film, the screenplay was written by Vaughn and Jane Goldman. The film stars Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Taron Egerton, Mark Strong, Halle Berry, Elton John, Channing Tatum and Jeff Bridges, and is scheduled to be released in the United Kingdom on 20 September 2017 in IMAX.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:17 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Kingsman: The Golden Circle
It's way too long and begins to overstay its welcome by the end, and certain scenes reek of that 'bigger and better' kind of sequel mentality you would have seen in something like Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (the Glastonbery Music Festival scene for example felt like something that would have been right at home in an early-aughts sequel). But there's a lot to like and even love about this sequel and I walked away satisfied and ready for the next installment. It does improve in a lot of ways from its predecessor. Julianne Moore runs away with the movie in my opinion - Poppy is an instantly iconic and hilarious villain and Moore plays her to perfection. I loved everything about her and the whole design of her 'world' in the film. Elton John is also surprisingly hilarious and well used playing himself. Of the new cast additions, all are welcome though I thought Halle Berry made the best impression. Taron Edgerton continues to be great and has excellent chemistry with Colin Firth and Mark Strong. The action sequences are also really fun and well-choreographed, and the whole movie on a visual level is just colorful eye candy. It's a well-done sequel and should once again catch on at the box office. B/B+

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:12 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I was sad when...

Spoiler: show
Roxie died. I hope they find some way to bring her back in future installments.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:14 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I just need to know if Egerton takes his shirt off in this one too? :wub2: :P

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:10 am
On autopilot for the summer

I had a great time watching this, and the franchise potential and even possible spinoffs is something I can get behind. I will say one thing that a lot of reviews are laboring on. I don't think it is more violent or action packed then the first. But there definitely is a more emotional punch that is really quite nice throughout the film. Is it too long and pretty much the first one did everything this one better, yes. But it doesn't mean it was bad. The newcomers are mostly unmemorable, outside of Moore and Pascal, but the celebs do the best with what they are given, you just wish there was more. Elton John is a character I was actually pleasantly surprised with. If the game changer of a first film didn't come first, this would still be a pretty badass film, But unlike other sequels and potential franchise starters I'm excited to see where it goes. This definitely wasn't Guardians 2 or Quantam of Solace. It's just a fun time for a Kinsgsman fan.

A-/B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:30 pm
Extraordinary

KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE

I thought it was okay. I was really looking forward to Julianne Moore's villainess and she was good but she could have been better. She seemed very one note compared to Sam Jackson. Though she did have wonderful toys at her disposal. I wasn't very happy that they killed off the female agent. Like...really. I thought the CG was pretty weak at points and maybe over the top. The action was good overall. I liked what they did with Colin Firth's character. That was good. Channing Tatum was in a limited role but if a sequel is made it seems he and Halle will have more to do. It didn't have the magic of the first one though I was still mostly entertained.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:37 pm
Extraordinary

Pedro Pascal was awesome.

Spoiler: show
tbh all the deaths upset me. Roxie never had the chance to show anything, and instead of Whiskey they should've killed Tatum. Killing Merlin also seemed unnecessary.

Movie dragged and was kinda unfocused but fun.A third one with Halle Berry having more screentime as an agent would be cool.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:36 pm
The Kramer

My favorite part of the film is that the anal sex joke that ended the first movIe turned into the main romantic plotline (and eventually a royal wedding!) True love can be found anywhere at any time in any place!

My second favorite part were the 3 incredible action sequences. They were able to replicate the absurd high octane fun of the church scene without the awkwardness of Colin Firth killing a bunch of people that had no way of defending themselves against him.

I didn't like human burgers. Julianne Moore's villain is interesting in her upbeat 50s nostalgia driven sadism. Yet she is constantly being undercut by either unnecessary scenes or the Trump satire. I loved every minute with her and Elton though, thats the type of humor I come for in these movies.

I was very sad when Merlin died. It was a really emotional scene, and quite unexpected. Really, even though we end up in the same place, I found this to be much more unpredictable than The Secret Service. Harry's death felt like it was just an obligatory checked box of Eggsy's hero journey. The deaths in this movie felt real and therefore hit me more emotionally. Roxie's death was tough too, but I'm pretty sure she will be back for part 3.

So while the first is slicker, more focused and has more to say on society, I found The Golden Circle to be a more enjoyable movie. High tension, high stakes, fun new characters, earned emotional blowoffs and a romance for the ages. It could/should have cut about ten minutes, but what we have is excellent.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Who is my favorite singer?
Why the fuck would I ever know that?

The chemistry between Merlin, Harry, and Eggsy was so much fun. I think they were a little scared to do too much emotion, when I would have loved even more. I'm hoping the third is gets the right balance.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:30 pm
Cream of the Crop

Kingsman: The Golden Circle is willfully bad - I mean Transformers: The Last Knight bad. A big noisy, blurry, sloppily made mess. While James Bond was written as a spy fantasy for adults, the Kingsman franchise is a spy fantasy written for 12 year olds with bad taste. Boring from beginning to end. *F*

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:34 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its inferior in every aspect to the original. I expected a lot more from Vaughn. Its still not too draggy and has the fun where it can but it's far too less. Moore was fun in this but she wasn't somehow given the chance to shine here because of those annoying robot toys. The deaths aside from Merlin weren't given enough justice, I guess they will be back again in the 3rd movie.

6/10

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Very true, it really is a puzzle of how many great things are in here, mixed with a sequel that isn't quite sure what kind of movie it wants to be.

Was this an equivalent of what Kickass 2 was to people, never saw it. Maybe Vaughn should just be the concept guy, and then bring a guy in like Singer for the next one.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:42 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I loved the film first, have seen it many times. This one, however, just didn't do it for me. The entire film just felt completely unfocused and perhaps rushed despite the long running time.

Roxie's death was very poorly handled -- there wasn't nearly as much character development given to have any emotional attachment to her whatsoever. She should have been given a mission to eliminate Charlie (since Eggsy still allows his emotions to get in the way), but to fail in doing so and die at the hands of Charlie instead. Merlin's death was okay(?), it just should have happened in an exchange with Whiskey at the end of the Poppy Land fighting. Seriously, he finally got to go out in the field and has to sacrifice himself just before the action happens...

I think Harry should have remained dead, and then have had Merlin (or Tequila) fill his role throughout this film instead.

The Secret Service - B+
The Golden Circle - C+

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

A-

Had. A BLAST watching this.and Taron Egerton Mau be the hottest gyy on earth

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:35 pm
Superman: The Movie

Why the hell is Channing Tatum in the final shot and not Halle Berry?

It’s good. It goes on for way too fucking long, the President is the most interesting villain in the film, and the Elton John cameo doesn’t work (minus the anal sex callback).

That’s about it.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Immensely enjoyable action sequences with super fun music, and it's very funny at times. The snow mountain section is a blast and then it never lets up till the end, which is awesome. But the film overall just isn't going to sit long in the memory, just like the first even though it's a riot. I liked the whole Kingsman and Statesman progression, and the ending with the Scottish distillery. The film is slick and fast-paced. But Taron Egerton is so oddly placed and unlikable, and that makes it difficult to enjoy any scene that isn't just all-out action. His voice and his I-think-I'm-cool swag is infuriating and lowers the film to a farce instead of a high-tier actioner. All the other players are great. Mark Strong. Halle Berry. Colin Firth. Julianne Moore is fantastic, and thankfully Channing Tatum and Jeff Bridges only have small roles. Pedro Pascal competently fills the role of the Yank, and pleasingly meets with a mushy end. Oh, and then there's Elton John. Best use of a musician in a film ever. Some hilarious scenes involving him. Might be the best sit-back-and-turn-off-your-brain entertainment this year.

Bit pissed off that Eggsy doesn't once wear the orange suit like on all the posters. Unless I missed it - I arrived a little late where he was in the back of a black cab fighting the metal armed dude. Not sure how much I missed but I didn't see any opening credits or title card after that point.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:30 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

The car fightt is the first scene. Might be a bit of exposition before that but nothing important.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:32 am
Superman: The Movie

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
Bit pissed off that Eggsy doesn't once wear the orange suit like on all the posters. Unless I missed it - I arrived a little late where he was in the back of a black cab fighting the metal armed dude. Not sure how much I missed but I didn't see any opening credits or title card after that point.

B+

I think he wears it when he has dinner with his girlfriend and her parents/when all of Kingsmen gets bombed to hell.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

So he does. Good memory.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Enjoyable film, continues pretty much on the success of the first. The story isn't any special but it's liberal themes appeal to me and it was easy to have a lot of fun with the film. It's a bit long, they could have made it more bite-size, but it's a great blend of action comedy. The cast and directing is good, nice music choices in the film too and I wouldn't mind if they go another round with it.

B+

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:33 am
Forum General

I guess I'm the odd man out here, because I actually enjoyed this more than the first film. I don't know, maybe it's because I went in with low expectations since I wasn't a big fan of TSS and all I heard about this one is how much of a disappointment it is in comparison. Honestly though, I was never bored despite it being a bit too long and while there probably wasn't an action sequence on par with something like the Church scene I at least appreciate that it was consistent in terms of the set pieces always being fun and pretty creative. The stuff with Pedro Pascal and his laser whip was especially dope. I also kind of loved Julianne Moore in this as the villain. She is definitely an improvement over SLJ IMO, although the robot dogs were lame. Bruce Greenwood as a villainous president was interesting too, but I get what they were going for with the Trump satire. The whole liberal/political social message was a very unexpected twist for me, and even though I'm not always keen on those themes dominating movies for some reason I felt it worked in this. I'm also down for a third movie.

Taron Egerton is still very likable and charming in the lead role, and his chemistry with Colin Firth is on point. Too bad about Mark Strong's character dying, because I liked him too, but I didn't really feel anything for the Roxie chick. The scenes with Elton John were funny, but I'll admit that I thought he took up a bit too much screen time towards the end.

B+

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:54 am
Hold the door!

PArts of it are really good, but unfortunately this doesn't really add anything to the story that the first established. It's perfectly passable, but it could have been way better. It's also way too long and has an incredibly drawn out finale.

C

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:30 pm
Cream of the Crop

thompsoncory wrote:
B/B+
Thegun wrote:
A-/B+
nghtvsn wrote:
Grade - B
Magnus wrote:
enjoyable enough
publicenemy#1 wrote:
fun
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
what we have is excellent.
Mau wrote:
A-
Jmart wrote:
B
Algren wrote:
B+
stuffp wrote:
B+
Dil wrote:
B+

I'm shocked at the positive reception this awful film is getting at KJ.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:43 am

Well, it's one thing to have a mentality of a blogger where you are hot and cold, where an A+ or an F are your only options. It's not an awful movie any way.

For me dropping to a B+ on the other hand is one of major disappointment for me.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]