Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 American Assassin 

Rate This Film
A 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

American Assassin 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post American Assassin

Quote:
American Assassin is an upcoming American action thriller film directed by Michael Cuesta and written by Stephen Schiff, Michael Finch, Edward Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz, based on Vince Flynn's 2010 novel of the same name. The film stars Dylan O'Brien, Michael Keaton, Sanaa Lathan, Shiva Negar and Taylor Kitsch and will be released on September 15, 2017.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:45 am
Top Poster

Post Re: American Assassin
Didn't know what to expect but the trailer looked decent. I was pleasantly surprised by this entertaining action flick.

The opening scene really draws you in with a sweet and sappy marriage proposal that turns ultra violent and sets the stage for the basis of Mitch Rapp's vengeance and focus for the rest of the film. Is it just me or does it seem that Michael Keaton is making a nice comeback over his last few movies. I like him here as well as a Trainer whose dealing with 2 rogue protege's who have gone down two different paths. The action sequences are tense and have just the right amount of payoff.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:28 pm
Cream of the Crop

I walked into American Assassin knowing almost nothing about it. I walked out a very satisfied movie watcher. It's a b-movie genre spy thriller with an old-fashioned style and pacing. The actors are solid and sell the frosting of gravitas that elevates this above pure escapism. The screenplay by Edward Zwick et al, has a pleasantly gentle propulsiveness that culminates with an over the top finale. American Assassin performs above it's pay grade. *A-*

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:25 pm
Pure Phase

A functional-but-mediocre espionage action movie. There is not even much to say. It exists. It is...fine? It goes in one ear and out the other. It is 2017's Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. Dylan O'Brien plays hero Mitch Rapp; he is referred to primarily as "Rapp," which just does not have the ring of Bond or Bourne or even Reacher and sounds a bit too similar to rat. The character is a collection of the right archetypes and characteristics—handsome, rule-averse, vengeance-minded—but he never coheres into a dynamic presence, and though fit, O'Brien is never entirely convincing in motion. Michael Keaton acquits himself predictably well as the requisite tough-as-nails mentor, playing those notes of taciturn sarcasm at which he excels, and the film might be improved if he were the main character. Opening in Ibiza and climaxing in Rome, the film jumps from picturesque location to picturesque location and from blithely violent chase-fight to blithely violent chase-fight; it feels crafted with steely competence, but not much verve and almost no soul.

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:37 pm
Extraordinary

AMERICAN ASSASSIN

I thought it was decent. It felt like a poor man's Jason Bourne though even JB is getting tiresome. I did like Dylan Obrien and Michael Keaton in their roles. I liked the action and the opening sequence was very well done. I thought the whole plot line with Taylor's character was a bit ridiculous. They could have done better. The visual of the undersea explosion was very well done. Good, not great is my final take.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:40 pm
Forum General

A pretty solid yet still somewhat disposable action film. It moves at a good pace and I enjoyed the set pieces. It honestly felt like something I would watch as a kid back in the 90's and that's probably what I appreciated about it the most. The action sequences are fairly violent and gory and there isn't too much of a reliance on CGI until the end. I thought O'Brien was solid in action hero form here, but Keaton is just a boss and I loved all of his scenes, especially the torture bit. Even Taylor Kitsch isn't bad as the villain, but once again Scott Adkins is criminally underutilized.

B

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:19 am
now we know

I quite enjoyed this. It is a super serious action film about vengeance and counter-terrorism. The action is well filmed and it keeps it interesting until the end, and with the payoff of an underwater nuclear blast. Keaton is a pleasure. Though Dylan O'Brien is hit-and-miss for me. On the one hand, his physicality is nice and he is committed to the role, but on the other hand he is still clearly just a teenager that feels out of place. And there's no way it is believable that he can trade blows with Scott Adkins. Anyway, I enjoyed the fact that this is an R-rated action. Not something you see much of these days. The sequel tease is a bit needless but I'd actually welcome another!

B

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:14 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This was actually refreshing in some way, the R-rating helps heaps, and the result is a pretty fun and cool film. Dylan O'Brien doesn't really work though, he's just a bit cringy, but despite him being the lead the film works in a way. This kind of young spy angle taking out baddies with just good action and score. I wasn't expecting it, but it does the right things to be elevated in among a pack of actioners, I had a good time.

B+

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:50 am
Keeping it Light

David wrote:
Michael Keaton acquits himself predictably well as the requisite tough-as-nails mentor.

Fitting idiom, I hated that scene too, I'm damn freaking sensitive about nails.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]