Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Jackals (2017) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Jackals (2017) 
Pure Phase

Post Jackals (2017)

Quote:
Jackals is a 2017 American horror film directed by Kevin Greutert.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:37 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Jackals (2017)
A modestly clever setup gives way to standard-issue action in this home-invasion film, a late-to-the-party variation on the imagery and themes of The Strangers and You're Next, both far superior. The aforementioned setup: we see the abrupt roadside abduction of a young man, Justin (Ben Sullivan), but it turns out the armed men are the victim's estranged father (Johnathon Schaech) and a former Marine specializing in cult deprogramming (Stephen Dorff). They return to a secluded cabin where they, alongside Justin's mother (a dreadful Deborah Kara Unger), brother (Nick Roux), and ex-girlfriend (Chelsea Ricketts), plan to provide their captive with therapy and reverse the brainwashing he has received as part of a violent cult. The same night, however, the other cultists encircle the cabin armed with knives and donning animal costumes (because of course).

In the spirit of Psycho and Dressed to Kill, the film disposes of its top star, the underrated Dorff, fairly early in the second act; it is a bold, but unwise gesture because he is far and away the most captivating, charismatic, and tough character. His absence is negatively felt, particularly once the family members begin shouting time-filling exposition at one another: there's an army of bloodthirsty psychopaths on the lawn...this is the perfect time to re-litigate dad's infidelity. And the antagonists are so anonymous and omnipresently numerous as to be without personality. I admit, the film achieves a few highly suspenseful moments, and Sullivan creates an eerily unrepentant and delusional character in Justin, but it is ultimately rarely as riveting or claustrophobic as intended.

C+

Also, though it is not a poorly done "homage" (let's be charitable) to John Carpenter's original Halloween, I am not sure what purpose the first-person prologue serves. If anything, it clues us into the film's true nature too early.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:38 pm
Forum General

What a waste of potential. This movie has a great set-up, but then really goes off the rails after the first act IMO. Killing off Stephen Dorff's character was the biggest mistake of all, because he easily the most interesting and captivating character in the film. I liked Johnathan Schaech in this too, but it's a role you've seen in dozens of other horror films. Also, the home-invasion element in this is so weak. Unlike The Strangers or You're Next it's not very tense or scary even though they try hard to make the cult come off as menacing. It doesn't work though because the majority of them just stand around not doing anything which sucks because I liked the brief, violent bits of action we got with them. The best thing about this is easily the music and the opening scene which I thought was a pretty effective nod to Carpenter's Halloween.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:40 pm
Extraordinary

I get thanked in the credits so everyone should see this film ten times.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]