Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Halloween (2018) 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Halloween (2018) 
Keeping it Light

Post Halloween (2018)

Quote:
Halloween is a 2018 American slasher film directed by David Gordon Green and written by Green, Jeff Fradley, and Danny McBride. It is the eleventh installment in the Halloween film series, and a direct sequel to the 1978 film of the same name, while retconning the continuity of the previous sequels. Set forty years after the original film, the plot follows Laurie Strode as she prepares to face Michael Myers in a final confrontation when he returns to Haddonfield, Illinois to finish her off for escaping his killing spree on Halloween night in 1978. Jamie Lee Curtis and Nick Castle reprise their roles as Strode and Myers, respectively, with stuntman James Jude Courtney also portraying Myers. The film also stars Judy Greer, Andi Matichak, Will Patton, and Virginia Gardner.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:43 am
Superfreak

Post Re: Halloween (2018)
This is a mixed bag.

Liked
-JLC is great obviously as are both her daughter and grand daughters
-Atmosphere well established
-Music very good
-Tries and mostly succeeds in executing a unique "prey becomes the predator and predator becomes the prey" theme
-A few legit suspenseful scenes

Did not like
-Doctor character useless and his "turn" garners mass laughs
-The studio gave away FAR FAR FAR too much away in the trailers. So many would be scenes were spoiled
-We see way too much of Michael. Way way too much. "The Shape" he certainly is not here.
-Reshoots obvious, at least seemed this way, with the ending

B

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:01 am
The Kramer

This is pretty good and has a lot of really intense scenes. Michael Myers is terrifying.

There is a huge problem with the movie though: it sets itself up to be bigger than it is. I don't really need to understand the nature of evil to watch a horror movie, but why bring it up so much if you have no intention of answering the question? Sounds more like Damon Lindelof than Danny McBride.

Is living you life in a constant state of fear worth it even if those fears eventually are proven true?
Is the act of killing itself what draws people to it? The doctor seems to enjoy it, but is quickly disposed of after.

And I would have liked to see the podcasters journey continue a little longer. What is it like to investigate a murder mystery that you are now a part of? But like all the other questions, it is disposed of as soon as possible.

But yeah the atmosphere of the whole movie is unsettling and the audience was as on edge as Laurie. The camerawork is mostly excellent, especially in the long money shot that was unfortunately spoiled by the marketing.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:18 am
Forum General

It's a solid, well made modern day Halloween movie. The direction and the score are on point here and I really enjoyed this take on Michael Myers. He is as brutal as ever and once he is unleashed in Haddonfield it truly feels like a rampaging monster is on the loose. Jamie Lee Curtis is also fantastic in this as well as the majority of acting across the board being very solid. All of that being said there are some pretty glaring problems. Pacing being my biggest one, especially in that rushed first half as well as there being too many of those typical horror movie tropes that just bugs the shit out of me every time in these movies. A few I don't mind, but there were way too many instances of characters doing and saying stupid cliche things where you know they were just being set up to die. I also think some of the comedy bits could have been cut entirely like the bit with cops and while I did like the scenes with the little black kid the jokes kind of took me out of the intensity that was suppose to be in that scene. I did love the final showdown in the house though. There were some nice nods to the original in that sequence.

B

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:03 pm
Devil's Advocate

I think it works whenever Myers or Laurie are involved. DGG really knows how to direct Myers and JLC is perfect for this role showing the traumatized older Laurie. Making him immediately kill a little kid was a good way to set the stakes early that Michael is not fucking around. The rest is a mixed bag. Any of the sheriff, doctor, etc. characters are a miss and feel like they could be in any bad Halloween movie. The high school kids are bland and don't feel like real kids from this era. There's just little things missing that could have made it feel more real, I felt like there was another level of "oh fuck I'm about to die I never even got to have sex" panic attack that the film never really let them get to, you never see Allyson react to the news her best friend is dead etc. There are some script things that bothered me like how difficult it is for everyone in Haddonfield to get alert Myers is out, the age old trope of making Laurie ambiguously say "the bus crashed" to her daughter instead of just straight up telling her Myers is loose, or spending the rest of the day basically just driving around instead of doing anything to save people. The climax in the house is the best part and it helps that you're not sure if Laurie is making it out of this one. The flip side of that though is that the ending and the supposed final battle between Laurie and Myers is also cheapened by how

Spoiler: show
Myers probably isn't dead, plus it's something of a typical way to beat a horror villain

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:59 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I mean this really is H20 again, except we have a daughter in Judy Greer who thinks she is crazy and a silly granddaughter subplot.

I actually originally thought the new elements would really help. Not being the brother, being in jail for 40 years, etc. They are really just lines of dialogue, and it kind of hurts the film. The podcast storyline is so uninteresting. I didn't mind the cop or the creepy twist. It's a welcome step back up but it does has some definite flaws. B+

I love that the series basically has 5 endings for the character of Curtis's Character.
Loomis and Mike died in the explosion
Laurie died in a car accident off screen
Laurie decapitated Mike
which was a ruse and a delusional Laurie is murdered by Mike
Laurie traps and kills Mike by fire.

And to the List.

Halloween
H20
Halloween II
Halloween 4
Halloween (2018)
Halloween: Resurrection
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Halloween 5
Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie)
Halloween (Rob Zombie)
Halloween 6

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:50 am
Superman: The Movie

It’s fine. That’s about all that I can really muster for it and considering the pedigree involved behind and in front of the camera, that’s a bit of a disappointment. It’s great to see JLC again, but I’m not really sure if I bought into her trauma. I mean I can believe it, but I feel like we needed a couple of more scenes between her and her daughter/grandmother. And a lot of that dynamic is stuffed in and rushed at the end. The last shot of the movie could’ve been much more impactful if they had just taken a couple of more minutes.

That doctor? He’s obsessed but we really don’t know why, and so obsessed that he would break Michael out and sacrifice innocent people in the process. Sure he’s worked with Michael for 40 years, but that doesn’t turn someone insane.

Anything involving Allyson and her boyfriend and friends is mostly a giant waste of time (I liked the kid. I wonder what happened to him.). That moment when her friend tries to take advantage of her right before Mike puts him on a spike...I get what the movie is trying to do and how it’s part of flipping the script on the hunted becoming the huntress, but it feels half-assed.

And those podcasters. I know they’re supposed to probably be snobbish and pompous (why else are they British? :D) and I get that’s probably what they’re going for, but they add very little and keep us from having more time with Laurie.

But, this movie is tense as hell, it has a couple of good kills, the score is fantastic, and JLC is very good. If the script was a little more fine tuned it could’ve been something special. Instead it’s just good.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I would really love it if the next film actually puts Laurie up against the actor Mike Myers.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:13 am
The Kramer

Thegun wrote:
I would really love it if the next film actually puts Laurie up against the actor Mike Myers.
Yeah baby.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:45 pm
now we know

Liked this a lot. Fits in nicely with Halloween and Halloween H20. It has that lightness to it. I loved all the references, hated all the dumb character decisions, but enjoyed all the new additions (such as JLC's house of tricks). It goes a little far in some areas, such as Loomis' successor killing Will Patton, and things are spoiled in the trailers. But apart from that it was good. I loved the little black kid. He was the cleverest person in the film how he wanted to send the dude instead of the girl and how he wanted to GTFO of there instead of investigate. The ending was nicely done. The music and visuals create a feeling of epicness. But nothing was too special in this film that I would reject a sequel. No way. I think they should definitely make a second one, and I don't really care what the excuse is that they use for him coming back out of the basement furnace. I mean, he already got his fingers chopped off, revolver shot in the shoulder, then a rifle shot to the neck, a cut on the hand, and still functioned normally. Him getting out of a basement shouldn't be too hard to explain...or just don't. Just have him turn up and start killing people. Anyway, I look forward to the sequel. My only request is that it does not become another Saw in that they are made every single year. Give it a breather for a few years. Oh, and if the granddaughter becomes a killer it will be shit.

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Child Actor

I really enjoyed Halloween 2018, James Jude Courtney is a great Michael. Very menacing. I love the score, camera work / cinematography and atmosphere. I liked the late 70s - early 80s feel in present day. The cast was solid.

My two negatives:

- The Sartain twist is a facepalm moment. It has no place in the film, and makes no sense at all.

- I wish more time would have been spent digging into Laurie's trauma all these years. If you needed to extend the run time to do that then so be it. As is just feels rushed.

B

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]