Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 It (2017) 

Grade this balloon.
A 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
B 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

It (2017) 
Keeping it Light

Post Re: It (2017)
Algren wrote:
Did it not end in 1989?

Yeah, for sure, I just wasn't sure about the exact time anymore, so I just spread it out to be sure to include it in explaining I like the time it took place.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:51 am
On autopilot for the summer

Hmm so what’s the adultcast?

Amy Adams, Donald Glover, maybe the nerd from criminal minds. Obviously you can’t overcast it someone artsy for Bill

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:07 pm
The Kramer

It depends if WB keeps the low budget. Would spending $50m extra on stars really affect the box office? I don't think so, but we will see.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:59 pm
now we know

Carey Mulligan seems like a better fit for Beverly.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I agree with most comments here.

I liked it, enjoyed it, but didn't absolutely love it. It was so close to being truly special, but instead to me ended up merely good.

I thought all the kids' chemistry and acting was fantastic, the atmosphere and cinematography was top notch, as was the score and sound design. The CGI was decent but could have been better as it looked sloppy in parts. The makeup and special effects though were excellent, only held back by the CGI at times.

I was not a fan of the jump scares, they were predictable and took away from the film personally. As others have mentioned, the scariest part of the film (aside from the atmosphere of the town itself) was the messed up parents. I've never read the book nor watched the miniseries, so I was puzzled why the parents were never explained. I was hoping the parents would become a major plotline, but was disappointed in that regard.

Sophia Lillis as Beverly to me was exceptional, and the real heart of the film along with Jaeden Lieberher as Bill.

I can only hope the parents get some explanation in Chapter 2.

Despite the very predictable jump scares, I thought Skarsgard as Pennywise had a ton of charisma and played the part as well as one realistically could. The opening scene with him was amazing.

Despite its faults, I thought it was a memorable film though. A solid B+/A-

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:05 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Finally saw this and agree with the KJ Collective. Loved the kids and their interaction. It really does feel like 1989. Beverly is the standout. Love the scene with the paper boat and Georgie. Skarsgard as Pennywise is great. On the flipside, a little too much CGI and it isn't all that scary.

That said, looking forward to Chapter 2.

Grade: A-

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:19 am
Hold the door!

Wow, I loved this! Don’t usually like horror films, but this was thrilling all the way through, though I agree it wasn’t scary. But I don’t get scared usually anyway. Though I will say the bullies and the parents were scarier than Pennywise. It had a great look and atmosphere, good characters, a great villain, everything you could really want. I might have to read the book because I can’t wait two years for part 2.

A

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 am
You must have big rats

Algren wrote:
Carey Mulligan seems like a better fit for Beverly.

Way too young.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I finally saw it and thought it was very good. Still think that Curry was the better Pennywise but other that that it captured the book very well. Not sure what they will do about Bowers in the sequel (I guess he could have survived the fall). I am curious who they will cast as well for the adults.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I wish they expanded on the fantasy parts and overall mythology/world of the film. Why does It seduce and kill Georgie horribly in the beginning, but only feed on the fears of the rest of children? Do the parents know whats going on and choose to ignore it or are they just blissfully ignorant? Why does It have to change forms when It is already really scary as a clown? Maybe they will explain more in chapter two. I doubt it though. I've never seen the miniseries or read the book...

Yeah, agreed. I think there are some subtle hints that they choose to ignore IT, like the old lady seeing the blood near the sewer after Georgie gets pulled in, but does nothing, and Beverly’s dad not being able to see the blood in the bathroom, but it’s not quite explicit enough. Is IT pulling a trick over the adults, or can the Dad see the blood? I haven’t read the book, but apparently it gets into what’s going on with the adults more while the movie kind of glosses over it (1,000 pages vs. 135 minute first part movie) maybe in favor of a Goonies vibe, where only a kid can figure out the 27 year pattern of IT.

I liked it. It’s not great, but the kids are. The adults have their work cut out for them.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Child Actor

The It remake for me is alright. The best scene of the film is at the beginning with Bill. The camera work and cinematography are good, the film looks good. The acting is solid, and the movie has a nice creepy atmosphere.

The main draw is Pennywise and Skarsgard just doesn't do it for me. I didn't like the use of CGI, and most times Pennywise came off goofy & cheesy. The basement scene where he moves through the water looked so ridiculous I actually started laughing.

Skarsgard is ok in the role, but nowhere near as creepy or unsettling as Tim Curry. I also felt he tried way too hard to be scary & insane. It all feels like a forced performance.

C

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2