Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 It (2017) 

Grade this balloon.
A 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
B 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

It (2017) 
Extraordinary

Post It (2017)

Quote:
In Derry, Maine in the summer of 1989, a group of outcast preteens known as "The Losers Club" fight against an immortal, shape-shifting entity responsible for the disappearance of dozens of children in their town, and are forced to confront their own personal demons in the process.

Grade: A

Fantastic. A really, really great horror film.

It's an R-rated, nasty Amblin movie. It's STRANGER THINGS without the nostalgia overload, but funnier and with the horror dialed up to 11.

Everytime a Pennywise scene finished, the whole theater exhaled.

The final title card calls this IT: CHAPTER ONE. Give me the sequel. Now.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:21 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: It (2017)
There's really not much to It.

It's a simple repurposing of King's Stand By Me as a structure on which to hang as many horror tropes as possible. Still the kid actors were mostly good and the director managed to sustain a decent eerie tone despite the thinness of the material. *B*

(Now, I'm just trying to figure who the producers have already signed to be the grown up versions of the kids for the sequel - they must have picked the kids based on their resemblance to those pre-signed talent.)

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:08 pm
Hold the door!

You know a film that gets good reviews really is really good if Bradley likes it.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:02 pm
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
You know a film that gets good reviews really is good if Bradley likes it.

Usually if he likes a film it means it is shit. But thankfully he didn't give this an "A" or "A+", just a "B", so It is probably a good film.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

IT

Loved it. The visuals with Pennywise are fantastic. Skaarsgaard is fantastic. Great performance. I rewatched the miniseries a few weeks ago and that is pretty scary actually. I remember I saw it when it aired back in the day too. Anyway, the cast was excellent and the scare moments were well done. I liked the length of the film and they seemed to fit in most of what I could remember. The music was good too. I'm excited for Chapter 2.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:02 am
Forum General

I had a blast with this film. The kids they got here actually do have some great chemistry with eachother with the standouts for me being Bill, Beverly and the kid from Stranger Things. I wasn't too much of a fan of Stanley and Eddie though. It's not as scary as it hopes to be, but there are more than a couple of frightening moments. I liked Skaarsgaard's more sadistic and animalistic interpretation of Pennywise, but man did the CGI ruin it for me at times. It was so unnecessary and looked as bad The Thing prequel in some scenes. The tension is excellent in this though, especially in the first scene where Pennywise is talking to Georgie. I honestly loved that sequence from the music to the tension slowly ramping up, and kudos to them allowing a little kid to actually be killed in a pretty gruesome way which you definitely don't see in most mainstream horror films.

Another thing I can say I really appreciated with this movie is that they weren't afraid to go there with the darker stuff with the parents and the bullies. Seriously, the guy who played the main bully was pretty damn disturbing and obviously a psychopath. I'm looking forward to the sequel whenever it comes out, but I mostly curious if the actors they get can be anywhere near as good as the majority of the kids in this movie.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:36 pm
Extraordinary

Watched a 2nd time. Crowd certainly helps. They ate it up as I posted in the It Previews thread.

Referencing the child actors, I thought Beverly is fantastic and Eddie is great as well. They are my favorites. Then Richie, then Billy oh I'll just rank'em.

1. Beverly
2. Eddie
3. Richie
4. Billy
5. Ben
6. Stanley
7. Mike

I liked the cgi on Pennywise and the voice work as well. Whoever gets these adult roles is going to have immense pressure to live up to the magnificence of Part One but it will surely be highly sought after.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:20 am
Forum General

I liked Ben too and I wasn't expecting them to make that character so damn sympathetic. He really went through the most messed up shit lol. I can see why most people like Eddie. He is basically a coked up adult in a kid's body, and while he was funny at times I also felt he was a bit too over the top and annoying at times as well. I just wanted him to shut the hell up sometimes and honestly I even liked Mike more than him even though he has the least amount of screen time.

The Stanley kid was just terrible and flat though.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 am
The Dark Knight

I didn't like it.

Always be proactive

Animals are gods

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:17 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

This comment from another site gets It:

"This was really bittersweet for me. The casting of the kids was terrific (that girl IS
Beverly Marsh), the cinematography and script are all there, too. But the direction and
the CGI leave a gaping hole where all the fear is supposed to be. So much great work is
put into the Losers club and their relationships, but then they face a nemesis that feels
plastic. Each 'fear' is another cut and paste video game character. The scariest part of
the film is Beverly's molesting father. Why couldn't all their fears be so real? In the book,
the leper that attacks Eddie was a frightening man. Why does Muschietti have a CGI
molting leper that is hardly recognizeable as an actual tangible thing? Does he not trust
that Georgie smiling in the shadows of the basement is scary enough? He has to have
his face decompose, and rot, and whatever other CGI thing they can slap on until you
realize, "Damn, less really is more." There are so many moments of potential brilliance it
actually stings. The adults drive by Ben getting a beat down and ignore it, only to have a
balloon rise in the back seat of their car. That has Cary Fukunaga written all over it, and I
can't help but wonder what his version would have been. The subtlety and unsettling
nature of True Detective is risky for a big screen venture, and I really see in this film the
fear of the studio system not taking a real chance. Its a rare horror movie with a heart
that got injected with a cheesy theme park ride. Its worth seeing if you love these
characters. It's got good moments. But damn. It was so, so close to something really
special."

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:02 am
Extraordinary

Thought it was pretty great.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:35 am
Extraordinary

Of the kids Stanley and Mike were the worst, especially Mike 'cause his character was flat and you never really felt his connection with the others in the group.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:23 pm
Wallflower

I loved it. Already one of my favorite horror films. Adored the characters. My favorites were Beverly and Eddie. The coming-of-age aspect reminded me of Stand By Me. The movie is hilarious and touching. Skaarsgaard is great as Pennywise. There really wasn't much they could have done to make the movie any better. It's very well-done and really entertaining. I'll be going again for sure.

9/10 (A)

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:29 am
Pure Phase

I have watched this film twice now. I would say it is a tremendous coming-of-age drama; the teenage cast is splendid, and their small world—the bicycle trips across town, the affectionately coarse quarreling (your mom!)—is authentic and resonant, and the picture's scariest elements are arguably the indignities and traumas inflicted upon them by schoolyard bullies or even their own parents. It is decent, but not quite as successful as a supernatural, jump-scare-laden horror film. I admire Bill Skarsgård's demented theatricality and intense physical commitment, but the film perhaps overplays the Pennywise card; the paper-boat prologue is disturbing, eerie, and perfectly executed, but one becomes slightly numb to the character after so many maximalist set pieces over two hours and 15 minutes. Overall, though, this is definitely a creative success and a top-tier Stephen King adaptation. I am entirely game for the 27-years-later sequel.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:01 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was excellent! Just a whole lot of fun from beginning to end. It's not scary but has an undeniable sense of atmosphere and is gorgeously shot. I absolutely adored all the kids. They were fantastic and had great chemistry. Sophia Lillis was the standout for me - this girl is a find and is going to be a huge movie star - but I loved them all and the dialogue and banter between them was equal parts authentic and hilarious. Bill Skarsgard also did a great job as Pennywise. I thought the most effective scene was easily the scene in the garage with the slides, but I loved the finale as well. I agree with what others have said in saying that it's also incredibly touching. It really harkens back to films of a different era. A fantastic time at the movies and I cannot wait for the sequel. A-

Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:46 pm
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

A-

Dear god my friendo almost ripped my arm out

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:37 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I loved the freedom the R rating gave the film, it had a naturalistic sensibility at points which I have never seen in a major Hollywood YA blockbuster (that's basically what this is), particularly the scenes when they're all bathing together. It reminded me of European arthouse cinema; that young almost voyeuristic approach to burgeoning sexuality. The kids were fantastic, they held the whole thing together; Skarsgard didn't do anything unexpected with the titular monster but he played it very well regardless. IT manages to transcend its fantasy plot to deliver something with real gravitas about the loss of youthful innocence. And, as in any great horror film, the real monsters are people.

A-

PS. Sophia Lillis is going to be a STAR. What an incredible breakthrough performance, and in a few years she's going to be a stunningly beautiful woman. She has a long, long career ahead of her. JLaw is shook.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:28 pm
The Kramer

I wish they expanded on the fantasy parts and overall mythology/world of the film. Why does It seduce and kill Georgie horribly in the beginning, but only feed on the fears of the rest of children? Do the parents know whats going on and choose to ignore it or are they just blissfully ignorant? Why does It have to change forms when It is already really scary as a clown? Maybe they will explain more in chapter two. I doubt it though. I've never seen the miniseries or read the book, but I think they actually did kill Pennywise and that It 2 will be Bowers the psycho bully.

I'll chalk all that to the usual Stephen King nonsense , cause the movie is still really good. The Loser Club has authentic chemistry (though are you really a loser if you have your own clown hunting gang?) The horror scenes are set up so well and always have a great payoff. And my gosh the music is so damn powerful. 2017 has been a great year for scores and this is right up there with Dunkirk, Apes and Split.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:05 pm
The Dark Knight

I saw it a second time and still didn't like it much.

Beverly was a horrible actress.

Always be proactive

Animals are gods

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Loved it. I've heard much talk about how good the Kids are and it's all true. Just really fantastic casting and I can't wait to see whom they cast as adults. It wasn't was scary as I thought it would be and pretty much during every Pennywise scene the music got so loud that I got distracted. This is just a damn good movie and I'm glad about the hype it's receiving.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:28 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I had a good time with It: Chapter One, despite its flaws. It is not scary in the slightest. For anyone with a bit of understanding of film, you can see the jump scares a mile away, and there are no other effective means to scare, so that was lame. And as soon as it goes computer-generated, it loses any semblance of dread or eeriness. And a few things didn't make sense (like Beverly killing her dad and then getting away scot-free, and the hovering children bit). But everything else was pleasing. The film is 80s through and though, which I loved. I got a real sense of Stand By Me twinned with A Nightmare on Elm Street (which, let's face it, is basically the same story as It) with a sprinkling of Spielberg. I loved seeing the cinema signs for Batman, Lethal Weapon 2, and A Nightmare on Elm Street 5. Love those little touches. The humour, while not LOL, was great, and very welcome. Unfortunately, it was too much of an avenue for girls to shed their fear, so in my screening it was annoying, but I am sure watching it at home will be more enjoyable. The boys were all great, especially Finn Wolfhard that jokes about his friends' mums. The black kid looks exactly like a young Muhammad Ali.

I am now fully invested in the story and cannot wait to see Chapter Two. Hope they don't over-cast it with big stars.

B+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

imtim83 wrote:
I saw it a second time and still didn't like it much.

Beverly was a horrible actress.

Why did you watch it a second time if you didn't like it the first time?

Beverly being horrible sounds like a troll comment...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:50 pm
now we know

Yeah, she was fine.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I liked the original mini-series a lot when I watched it as a kid, it's always been one of my favorite horrors because it was scary but not over the top and good drama. This new IT, not so much of a fan. For a horror films it lacks being scary, sure a few jump scares, but anything involved CGI is meh and any danger is pretty much predictable. The appearance of the red balloon effectively conveys fear though. What makes the film nice and watchable though is the whole kids hanging out element, they're conversing in a fun way and it's a good time. I quite liked the film for that. Its run-time is also excessive for me, there's a bit too many kids that all seem to need to do their own fear thing and it could been less dragging for me in how they finally find the well house and defeat IT. It wins enough points with it's late 80's, early 90's nostalgia feel that I had a good enough time and great kids performances, but I feels like there was a better film in it too.

B-

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:00 am
now we know

Did it not end in 1989?

Anyway, glad we agree that it was not scary. Besides the end, the horror never lingers. It is jump scare, gap, jump scare. When it should have been more relentless in its methods to scare. The jump scares were not even good scares. I liked seeing them unfold, but they did not have one main component ... shock. It is difficult these days to scare audiences (or maybe just me) but the Paranormal Activity films managed it so it is possible.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next