Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 The Dark Tower 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6

The Dark Tower 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post The Dark Tower

Quote:
The Dark Tower is an upcoming American science fantasy western action horror film directed and co-written by Nikolaj Arcel. The film is a continuation of Stephen King's novel series of the same name, the film stars Idris Elba as Roland Deschain, a gunslinger on a quest to protect the Dark Tower – a mythical structure which supports all realities – and Matthew McConaughey as his nemesis, Walter o'Dim, the "Man in Black".[2]

Intended to launch a film and television franchise, the first installment combines elements from several novels in the eight-volume series, taking place partly in modern-day New York City and partly in Mid-World, Roland's Old West-style parallel universe. Additionally, King has tweeted a photo of the Horn of Eld with the caption "Last Time Around", which relates to the ending of the final book, The Dark Tower VII; Arcel has said that fans will know the film is a sequel to the books' events.[3] The film is set to be released on August 4, 2017 in 3D and 2D by Columbia Pictures.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:38 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Dark Tower
It's definitely one that gets worse the more I think about it. About 30 minutes in I was thinking "this isn't bad at all" but as it ends (its a very short film) it just falls short in every aspect. Poor development of the relationship between the Gunslinger and Jake and a disconnect as to what story they're trying to tell. The potential is there, and the leads are good (McConaughey is an afterthought, not really sure why people say he's Razzie bad, he's barely in the movie), the execution is just off. Too bad, I'm actually interested in where the story goes, I guess I'll read the summaries of the books on Wiki.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:36 am
Hold the door!

publicenemy#1 wrote:
I guess I'll read the summaries of the books on Wiki.

Or you could read the actual books!?

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:15 am
Superman: The Movie

Yeah, just jump right in to the 8-part book series. Have fun.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

This is not so bad. It is perhaps anticlimactic after a over a decade's worth of failed attempts to adapt Stephen King's flawed, glorious, sprawling eight-novel fantasy saga for the big screen, but it is very entertaining as a fast-paced, lean, mostly unpretentious genre film. It firmly held my attention and is never less than competently produced. Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey deliver above-average performances—the former charismatic and stoic, the latter preening and tastily malevolent—and British teenage actor Tom Taylor is an engaging and sympathetic lead/audience surrogate. What the film could use is simply...more: more eerie-neat creature F/X and world building, more character development, an extra set piece or two, a more elaborate final battle, etc. It feels overly satisfied going 70 percent of the way, with being all right and acceptable, and would benefit from an injection of extra imagination and maybe even a dose of madness. But at the same time, it is fine and closer to the top of the King-on-screen canon than the bottom.

B/B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:27 pm
The Kramer

Gunslinger, Drawing, Wastelands, Wizard, Wolves, Song, Dark Tower. What is the 8th?

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:04 am
Hold the door!

Jmart wrote:

People read long book series all the time.

The eighth is the 2012 midquel Wind Through the Keyhole

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:24 am
Pure Phase

I have not read it, nor, sadly, have I finished the original series (I was quite a fan of the first few in my teenage years), but I thought The Wind Through the Keyhole was accepted as a proper Dark Tower novel.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:52 am
The Wall

David wrote:
I have not read it, nor, sadly, have I finished the original series (I was quite a fan of the first few in my teenage years), but I thought The Wind Through the Keyhole was accepted as a proper Dark Tower novel.

It is.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:31 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was fast paced and well sewn together never overstaying its welcome but also never taking a breather and glossing through a lot of material that the non-book readers would not have time to think about. The story comes out as very generic which never exceeding in any aspects. There is also not much at stake or the gravitas of it were never felt; the only time I remember emotional connection was the death of a parent. The biggest flaw is the bond between Jake and Roland which is why this feels more rushed than usual. McConaghey feels wasted here and Elba just plays himself. I also felt it lacked much imagination and made this look like just another Western mash-up with futuristic technology.

5/10

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:24 am
Pure Phase

I do not believe it is fair to say Elba just plays himself. No, he is not transforming into Stephen Hawking, but he doesn't use his natural accent and conveys a nice sense of cynicism and exhaustion. He sells the character within the space allowed to him.

On another note, this is the third summer 2017 movie to reference Arthurian legend, albeit more briefly than Transformers 5 and, of course, the Guy Ritchie movie. Hollywood bet big on Arthur this year.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:59 pm
now we know

David wrote:
No, he is not transforming into Stephen Hawking

LOL - now that I'd like to see!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I really liked this and am genuinely confused at the terrible reviews. Sure some things could have landed with a bit more oomph, and the movie badly needed a scene where Roland sacrificed his revenge for the greater good. It's a solid adaptation of Gunslinger and The Wastelands though, minus the huge bear. The 3 main actors are all good, Junkie XLs score is excellent, it is always moving at a swift pace and the action scenes are thrilling.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:55 am
Superman: The Movie

zwackerm wrote:
Jmart wrote:

People read long book series all the time.

Yeah, if it interests them.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Elba's accent is changed yet but its the tough guy act that comes our repetitive for me. I agree that Elba is good for this role but he didn't do much justice to the character, there were other factors at play here but its just the general feeling that he could have done more in scenes of death and the finale.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:57 am
The Kramer

The death of his father was pretty bad. I thought he did well in his physical acting though.I loved how he shot people, so mechinical, never doubting that it was a kill shot and just moving on. He had the look of someone who has been worn down by doing the same thing for countless years.

Spoiler: show
Infinite years if we go by the end of book 7.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:31 pm
The Wall

Well technically you should as this is a continuation as he has the horn this time in the movie.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Not a bad film, but it could have been so much better IMO. It works at best as a basic action film that's a timewaster, but nothing more which is a shame, because I really enjoyed the world this movie was set in, but they never take the time to fully flesh it out. The mythology is the main thing that kept me interested, and I would be very happy to actually see a tv show based on these books. As for the film itself the kid is pretty good and Elba is solid as the hero, but I wish they let him have more of a personality like in the New York scenes. McConaughey as the villain was pretty stale and weak honestly which was disappointing because there were instances where he had some screen presence, but he just ends up being wasted.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:28 pm
now we know

This isn't so bad. It's actually quite fun. It could have done with being more grandiose and, not necessarily upping the stakes, but stressing the stakes and the rules of the world more, perhaps in a prologue. Idris Elba is cool. McConaughey is pretty good too. I would have loved to see them duke it out Neo-Agent Smith stylee. But it never happens. I liked all of the New York-set scenes. When he's being chased by the asylum workers, then when the Gunslinger goes to New York and fights with Jackie Earle Haley. But the film is all basic. It never feels special or awesome. This happens, then that, then it's over. It's too neat.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Ouch, that was painful and bad. Just a disappointing film, completely average in execution and pretty much just not exciting at all. I liked Matthew as the villain, but he wasn't really good either, only Elba showed some resemblance of a good character for me. Some of his gunslinger scenes were cool, other than that the film had nothing going for it. I was glad when it was over, pretty terrible really. Oh, I guess one other highlight was Jake's mom is hot.

D

Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:37 pm
Hold the door!

This was beyond dull and pointless. Whatever makes the book series popular is not present in this generic ass fantasy flick.

F

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]