Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Killing Ground 

Rate This Film
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Killing Ground 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Killing Ground

Quote:
A couple's romantic camping trip becomes a desperate fight for survival in this ultra-raw, unhinged kill ride. In need of a break from the pressures of their life in the city, Sam (Harriet Dyer) and Ian (Ian Meadows) head to a remote beach for a weekend getaway. When they come across an abandoned campsite, with no trace of its occupants, they're concerned. When they discover a lone, traumatized child nearby, they're scared. And when they encounter two local weirdos, they're in for a hell of a bad time. Unfolding in an innovative, time-scrambling structure, Killing Ground delivers both nerve-shredding suspense and gut-punching realism.
Directed By: Damien Power

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:14 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Killing Ground
A brutal, despairing, and cleverly structured Australian suspense film. A doctor and his long-term girlfriend on a New Year's Eve camping trip. A family staying by the same falls a few days earlier. Two hunters in a bar, uncouthly leering at women and arguing over incriminating cell-phone photos. Dread mounts with mathematical precision as these strands/timelines converge, culminating in moments of blunt, nauseating violence and hard-to-answer questions of cruelty and cowardice. This is a serious and striking horror experience with highly authentic performances, and it announces first-time feature director Damien Power as an auspicious, hard-edged talent.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:11 pm
Forum General

Eh this was only alright to me. It's basically Wolf Creek without the charismatic and terrifying performance of John Jarratt. It's well acted and effectively disturbing at times, but I wasn't expecting it to be as much of a slow burn as it was.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:32 pm
Wallflower

I thought this was great but it's definitely not for everyone. I can understand people hating it because it is fairly disturbing. Think The Last House on The Left or Eden Lake. If you can handle disturbing content like in those movies then this is well-worth watching. Really liked the way it was structured. Honestly my only problem is the ending.
Spoiler: show
What the hell happened to baby Ollie? I mean we saw he was still alive in the woods but why not show if they rescued him. I was hoping to see all three of them at the hospital and not just the main couple. Obviously this is going to be what everyone is wondering and it's almost annoying they didn't bother to include this bit of info. Would make for a much more satisfying ending. I think a happy ending is deserved after all of the brutality. This is pretty much enough for me to drop my grade down a notch.

I'll go with an 8/10 (A-) I think.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:57 am
Pure Phase

Similar to the dream therapy mentioned by a character early in the film, you can choose your own fate for the baby. I believe there is a (very grimly) poignant component to the final shot of the baby and the dog stranded in the woods, two victims who cannot even comprehend the cruelty of the universe.

And the baby being at the hospital at the end (they are a family now!) would distract from the real point: his cowardice, even if justifiable, has driven a wedge between the couple. The last few moments are full of unspoken seething. He didn't bother to see if he could help Ollie before running away.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]