Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Evan Almighty 

What grade would you give this film?
A 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
C 47%  47%  [ 9 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 19

Evan Almighty 
Where will you be?

Post Evan Almighty
Evan Almighty

Quote:
Evan Almighty is a 2007 American religious comedy film and the sequel of Bruce Almighty (2003). The film was directed by Tom Shadyac, written by Steve Oedekerk, and starring Steve Carell as the title character. Morgan Freeman reprised his role as God from the original film. Production of the film began in January 2006. Several visual effect companies were used to provide CGI for the numerous animals and climactic flood scene. Shadyac ensured the production had a positive environmental impact during principal photography, and, along with Universal Pictures, stressed the animals' conditions were acceptable despite PETA objections.

By the time the film premiered on June 10, 2007, it had become the most expensive film comedy. Although the film grossed over $173 million worldwide, it received generally negative reviews. In October 2007, the film was released on DVD and HD DVD.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:33 am
Forum General

This movie was so freaking bad. I didn't laugh at all and the audience I was with also didn't laugh. Seriously it was incredibly boring movie and lot of kids were restless and asking their mommy if they can go somewhere else.

Seriously how the fuck did this movie cost $175-200 million??? This is so far the worst movie ever from steve carell and morgan freeman.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Morgan Freeman was also in Dreamcatcher and Hard Rain.

just sayin

didn't watch those.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Morgan Freeman was also in Dreamcatcher and Hard Rain.

just sayin

Not mention Chain Reaction, but Dreamcatcher is by far this most agregious movie role, with the weird moustache and the bad overacting...everyone involved in that movie ought to be ashamed.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:10 pm
Where will you be?

How long does the flood stuff go on for? Is there some of it that we don't see in the trailer?

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:02 pm
Forum General

How long does the flood stuff go on for? Is there some of it that we don't see in the trailer?

I wasn't timing man. The movie was horrible. And the flood looked extremely fake. The water effects looked so crap.

Everyhting was bad about it.

Steve Carell should have never signed to this project. My respect for him dropped big time after this god awful abomination of cinema in terms of comedy and sfx.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

I loved it. It had its humourous parts but I liked it more for what it had to say. And teh acronym at the end of the film as to what ARK really means was beautiful. A soild A- for me.

Sorry you think this is an abomination. It's rated fucking G for piss sake. What did you want? A sex scene?

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I loved it. It had its humourous parts but I liked it more for what it had to say. And teh acronym at the end of the film as to what ARK really means was beautiful. A soild A- for me.

Sorry you think this is an abomination. It's rated fucking G for piss sake. What did you want? A sex scene?

it sucked ass.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

baumer72 wrote:

it sucked ass.

You're entitled to your opinion. Sorry you didn't like it.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

baumer72 wrote:

it sucked ass.

How enlightening. Be a diplomat.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:41 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

kamaldhamal2007 wrote:
baumer72 wrote:

it sucked ass.

How enlightening. Be a diplomat.

That would be a interesting method of negotiation thought.

China: Accept the 2 systems 1 state deal now!!
Taiwan: No, you suck ass.

I'd love to see the result.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:43 pm
Orphan

I actually liked it quite a bit. The jokes work, Carell is more endearing than usual, and the animals add many laughs as well.

B+

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:56 am
---------

Hmmm obviously not as funny as Bruce Almighty, Steve Carell pretty much carries all of the jokes in this movie with just his reactions and screams, but it's not enough for a good movie. The story is pretty weak, needed something a bit more epic, and yet more personal. It was surprisingly not blasophemic at all. Felt actually like Night at the Musuem.

Definitely did not feel like the same person from Bruce Almightly, they shouldn't have made him go to Congress, didn't like that part of the movie, but his assistants were fantastic. Wanda Sykes is always great! A lot of the jokes do work, some are more cute than funny though.

Grade: C+/B-

Joke Spoiler: My fav part was "SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!" Hahaha

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:09 am
Devil's Advocate

I have a problem baumer. I agree with you on way too much. :happy:

If you combined Crash, Babel, V for Vendetta, and Blood Diamond, they wouldn't have half as much to say as Evan Almighty. And they wouldn't be able to do it with a fraction of the genuine heart Carrell's character shows. Evan Almighty is the first message movie out of all the pack released in the last couple years, that actually succeeds in saying something. It says more than a handful of things actually through Evan's character, about willpower, kindness, making a difference, real meaning in life, true beauty, making things right, and even environmental value, among others. I can't get to it all. That sounds hokey of paper of course, but the film really does cover it all.

It actually isn't that funny at all - But to quote Positive Jon from a review earlier today, it's strength lies in its heart, and in this case the messages as well. On top of that, the movie moves at an extremely solid and entertaining pace, and everyone in the film is likeable, making it one of the more enjoyable blockbusters of the year to go along with all it has to say. Again it's not a hilarious film, but it's lighthearted enough that it doesn't need to be.

As people Carrell and Graham stand out much more than Carrey and Aniston. And funny enough even though Morgan Freeman is seemingly the same god in both movies, he and his motivations couldn't be any different in both films. While in that film he let Carrey be god on a whim and apparantley not for much reason, other than to teach him to be a more kind person or something of the sort while letting him move the moon and disrupt the world, in Evan he is the opposite. In this, while I won't spoil it, Freeman has a BIG motive in what he's doing, and not just teaching Evan to be more of a family man. He is generally there to help. It's just the opposite.

(I expect some people will think the twist doesn't make sense, but I think it does completley... I'll explain my views in white when more people see the film. There's one thing with the animals where I could've sworn they were going to give an explanation for their plot point, and while the director missed a step by not doing that, since the movie doesn't contradict what I see as explainable for them, I'll just accept it that way.)

This is really my Click of 07. Likewise to that, Evan will be blasted by 80% of critics and viewers for being unfunny, but really the comedy is a complete afterthought when I think of both films, it's everything else that makes it worthwhile. And likewise I think I'll be alone in my total love for it. That movie btw ended up in my top 6 of last year, I think this will match that top 10 ranking for this year, if not top 5... 06 had a considerable amount of amazingly strong films and I think this year will be a fall-back.

Oh, and the CGI is quite good in the flood scene by the way. And the animals are used well. 180 million is very high, but I think it spent its money more effectively than a number of overbudget films released recently (cough Spiderman 3, Miami Vice, Superman Returns, that means you) And MovieDude it lasts maybe 5-10 minutes, but it's handled well enough, you get enough bang for your buck out of it.

What a glorious glorius surprise. It's times like these where I absolutely love being a movie fan. I've had a smile on my face all night.

A

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:43 am
I heet the canadian!

Damn you Shack and baumer, now I have to get $8 and see this.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:46 am
Forum General

I'm surprised I'm the only one who thought Wanda Sykes was absolutely hilarious. She really made the movie, IMO.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mod Team Leader

I'm surprised I'm the only one who thought Wanda Sykes was absolutely hilarious. She really made the movie, IMO.

She was very very fuuny and I liked her character.

Thanks Shack, nice to see someone else get the message.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Really cute and sometimes really funny, though if it weren't for Wanda Sykes, it wouldn't be half as funny as it turned out to be. It doesn't really need to be extremely funny though, it moves at a brisk pace and it has a really nice message about saving the environment, though the last ten or so minutes did become a little preachy and it brought it down a tad. Still, it's extremely underrated and a nice little movie to watch in the summer when your tired of superheros, pirates and ogres.

7/10 ( B )

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:20 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Written for the lowest common denominator (ie: summer movie audiences), just like it's source material: The Bible before it, Evan Almighty is just right for the uneducated thinking man (and that's a lot better than it may sound at first!)...

Hardly the most sophisticated tale, it is still one of history's first disaster stories, and as such, I'm surprised writers haven't riffed on it way more! It's the end of the world as we know it and I see signs!

I personally enjoyed the reality of the animal extras, though perhaps a tad underused given the $175 million it cost for them. But Steve Carrell looked great as Noah, and made the most of the material given to him ( ;) ya know -- just like Noah)...

The family was the lamest part of the movie, didn't really help, what with them abandoning the poor guy before returning to loyalty forever, though that Lauren Graham does look cute in her bizarro Bad Santa way. And Wanda Sykes did her schtick real good as always, but the rest of the supporting characters were, how would you say it? -- wasted.

Still, I gotta give Evan Almighty it's props for being the rare sequel better than the original, not that that's saying much in this case -- except it is, because this was a pretty darn good movie!

4 out of 5.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:39 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

It was good, mainly thanks to the charm of Steve Carell and Lauren Graham. These two are both incredibly likable onscreen and it is hard to dislike any project that they take part in. However, it is definitely a step down from the original film - which was much funnier and handled a similar concept in a more successful manner. The film is a bit preachy when it comes to the multiple messages it is trying to send, but it has to get some credit for having more to say than the average mainstream comedy. As said before, Steve Carell is quite charming and makes the most of the material he is given. Lauren Graham is also good, getting her chance to shine in a role that is larger than any of her film roles thus far. Wanda Sykes is also quite funny in a small supporting role. Morgan Freeman once again succeeds here and gives a respectable performance. The whole thing results in a cute, but somewhat forgettable film that serves as nothing more than a stepping stone for its charismatic ensemble.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:10 am
Profile YIM
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Written for the lowest common denominator (ie: summer movie audiences), just like it's source material: The Bible before it, Evan Almighty is just right for the uneducated thinking man (and that's a lot better than it may sound at first!)...

Hardly the most sophisticated tale, it is still one of history's first disaster stories, and as such, I'm surprised writers haven't riffed on it way more! It's the end of the world as we know it and I see signs!

I personally enjoyed the reality of the animal extras, though perhaps a tad underused given the $175 million it cost for them. But Steve Carrell looked great as Noah, and made the most of the material given to him ( ;) ya know -- just like Noah)...

The family was the lamest part of the movie, didn't really help, what with them abandoning the poor guy before returning to loyalty forever, though that Lauren Graham does look cute in her bizarro Bad Santa way. And Wanda Sykes did her schtick real good as always, but the rest of the supporting characters were, how would you say it? -- wasted.

Still, I gotta give Evan Almighty it's props for being the rare sequel better than the original, not that that's saying much in this case -- except it is, because this was a pretty darn good movie!

4 out of 5.

Oh come on Bradley.. Nothing in the trailers or TV Spots was even remotely funny indicating this was better than the 1st movie.. Your pulling our leg now..

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Oh come on Bradley.. Nothing in the trailers or TV Spots was even remotely funny indicating this was better than the 1st movie.. Your pulling our leg now..

Well I rated BA a 1 out of 5, so it didn't have far to go...

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:26 am
Where will you be?

Yeah it's much better than Bruce Almighty, but that ain't sayin' squat. Enjoyable as a one time watch, but nothing I need to see again anytime in the next decade.

Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:19 am
New Server, Same X

Fairly bad movie. Even for a kids movie. Although, I probably would've loved it better if I was 10.

The good: Steve Carell puts forth a decent effort, but it's easily his worst role yet. Wastes his talent. Wanda Sykes is somehow always funny, even though I for some reason thought I hated her. I think I laughed everytime she talked. She plays the same role everytime, in every bad movie that she's in, but that's cool. And, umm... well, a chuckle here and there.

The bad: Bird shit. The gag ain't funny once, and it ain't funny eight times. The movie could've been made for about $30 mill, if not for the final ten minutes. And by the time I got to the last big scene, I didn't really care all that much. And, the movie's cast is quite talented, but the cast also reeks of "supporting actors in bad movies". Lauren Graham, John Goodman, Wanda Sykes, Molly Shannon. I like or love all of 'em, but they do a lot of shit movies.

I do give the writers a ton of credit for doing something almost completely different from Bruce Almighty. They could've easily done the same stuff from Bruce (giving Evan God's powers for a week), but they didn't. Unfortunately, they came up with some horrific jokes. Maybe a carbon copy of Bruce Almighty wouldn't have been so bad...

Grade: D+

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next