Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Dunkirk 

Rate This Film
A 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
B 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 18

Dunkirk 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Dunkirk

Quote:
Dunkirk is a 2017 English language war film[nb 1] written, co-produced and directed by Christopher Nolan. The film stars Fionn Whitehead, Tom Glynn-Carney, Jack Lowden, Harry Styles, Aneurin Barnard, James D'Arcy, Barry Keoghan, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy, Mark Rylance and Tom Hardy. Set during the Second World War, it concerns the Dunkirk evacuation. Distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, the film is an international co-production between the United Kingdom, the United States, France and the Netherlands.

Nolan wrote the script, told from three perspectives–the land, sea and air–to contain little dialogue and create suspense solely through details. Filming began in May 2016 in Dunkirk, France, and ended in Los Angeles, United States, where it also began post-production. Cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema shot the film on IMAX 65 mm and 65 mm large format film stock. The film made extensive use of practical effects such as employing 6,000 extras, assembling boats that had participated in the real Dunkirk evacuation, and using genuine era-appropriate planes for aerial sequences.

Dunkirk had its world premiere on 13 July 2017 at Odeon Leicester Square in London, England, and is scheduled to be released in the United Kingdom and United States on 21 July 2017, in IMAX, 70 mm and 35 mm film.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:13 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Dunkirk
One of the most intense movies I've seen in a long time, and it absolutely demands to be seen on the big screen. A

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:28 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

The whole sequence where it intercuts between the pilot stuck in his cockpit in the ocean, the soldiers hiding in the boat getting shot at and Hardy being tailed on his plane almost gave me a nervous breakdown. The whole movie is a masterclass in editing.

This is also one of Hans Zimmer's best scores ever.

It's assured a boatload of Oscar nominations (except in the acting categories - everyone is great including Harry Styles actually, but this isn't an 'actors' movie' in any way).

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:42 am
Profile YIM
Superfreak

Reserving post for my A++++ review

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:49 pm
Extraordinary

Excel wrote:
Reserving post for my A++++ review

reserve another post talking about what's wrong with it if it under performs.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:01 pm
Superman: The Movie

Whoever said Michael Caine wasn't in this movie was a fucking liar.

Oh, and hands down loudest movie I've ever heard. Holy shit.

NOLAN!

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Christopher Nolan's dramatization of the Dunkirk evacuation is undoubtedly an aural and visual masterpiece: the interplay of majestic, vertiginous aerial footage and steely-blue scenes of on-the-ground chaos; the cacophonous timepiece score. It is a film of constant, armrest-clenching suspense and spectacle. And though it results in an extraordinary ensemble cast, including Kenneth Branagh, Tom Hardy, and Cillian Murphy, being slightly underutilized, the foregrounding of incident, procedure, and in-the-moment experience over conventional character development is ultimately a clever way to submerge the viewer in the soldiers' fraught and uncertain mindset. Who's who is obscured by the crashing of waves, the roaring of aircraft, and the stinging whistle of gunfire. I have one significant qualm: though he has employed it incredibly well in prior films, most notably the game-changing Memento, Nolan's use of a nonlinear structure here registers as busy and pretentious. I adore his idea of presenting the evacuation from the perspectives of air, land, and sea, but I am not convinced the film is enriched by having those three prongs complicatedly intertwine as events play out multiple times from alternating vantage points. The manipulation of timelines never results in a glorious a-ha moment or a deeper understanding of the story and its players. It just feels decorative and can even be a tad confusing.

B+

Also, this sounds more critical than I intend, but the film is never particularly moving. When it tries—say, the death of the "I'll be useful, sir!" teenager on the boat or Branagh declaring he'll stay for the French!—it is a bit feeble. But I am going to allow it because there are more than enough great war tearjerkers. Oddly, the moment I found most moving is Hardy's character setting his plane on fire and being captured.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:54 pm
Pure Phase

1. Inception
2. Memento
3. The Prestige
4. The Dark Knight
5. Interstellar
6. Batman Begins
7. Dunkirk
8. Following
9. The Dark Knight Rises
10. Insomnia

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:57 pm

Quick question though and I'll put it in a spoiler since it's opening night.

I love Zimmer and I think his score for this is pretty fucking fantastic. However, there's one key scene on a boat towards the end where the dialogue gets muffled a little bit because of the score. If I heard correctly, was
Spoiler: show
Mark Rylance Tom Hardy's father?
Because if that's true, there's no better "a-ha" moment this year.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

No. His son was a pilot who died earlier in the war.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:00 am

Yeah, I realized driving home that the timelines didn't match. That seems like a missed opportunity. It might of come off incredibly corny and maybe that's why he avoided it (or the thought never crossed his mind as he's probably more focused on the three separate acts of heroism, but it was on the cornball tee.

Not unless he incepted us (or me). :unsure:

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:21 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I need to chew on it. The timelines didn't come together quite as cleanly as I would have liked, but I feel like it could play better upon second viewing when I have a better grasp of how everything interlocks.

Right now, it's hovering in the B+/A- range.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:51 am
Pure Phase

I am a bit confused as to how Styles' group ended up out at sea where Rylance rescues them. Were they on the boat which tips after being bombed?

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:04 am
Extraordinary

Hm.... definitely one that becomes more favorable as I think about it. I don't think My audience liked it lol

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:07 am
Cream of the Crop

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Hm.... definitely one that becomes more favorable as I think about it. I don't think My audience liked it lol

The reactions are going to be pretty divisive with general audiences. On the South Korea version of IMDB, it is already rated the second lowest of Nolan's movies next to Insomnia. Probably headed for a lower rating in a hurry.

The South Korea situation is a pretty big red flag if you think this movie is going to have great WOM with the general audience. South Korea has worshiped the hell out of Nolan's big budget work for years. Interstellar was a phenomenal success in that country.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

Easily the most intense experience I had in cinema. I watched this at imax 70mm dome. That wasn't fun but the experience was super immersive. None of the characters registered and as David said the multiple timelines did not intersect as well as how inception worked. But this was definitely one of a kind experience.

Definitely will be divisive though my audience(in bay area) clapped at the end. I hope it opens big enough to be successful.

I used to be shawman.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:23 am
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
I will have more to say tomorrow but it's perhaps the least enjoyable Nolan blockbuster but probably the single best cinematic experience he's ever created.

100% agree. This was an experience, and you never even got to see an enemy's face. You feel their fear, their despair, and the danger every step of the way; it's relentless. To survive was truly a miracle.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:42 am
Profile WWW

Magnus wrote:
-The film works so well in IMAX 70mm that I think it will be significantly different even in a regular movie theater. This isn't a issue but it does mean the film will just naturally be viewed be differently from everyone. It creates almost like a "original cut vs. directors cut" debate. I can totally understand people not liking it as much if they don't see it in 70mm.

I saw it in RPX on Thursday because I wanted to see it immediately but not make a 75 minute drive to the nearest true IMAX 70mm FILM theater. I plan on making the trip this week. Serious question: earplugs or no earplugs for IMAX? Maybe it's because I was sitting right under a speaker, but I was sitting in my seat with the honest thought of, "Oh my ears might bleed and I wouldn't be surprised; NOLAN!" IMAX even takes it up another notch, right?

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:32 am
Profile WWW
now we know

He's only gone and done it again! How can one director has so many magnum opuses? This is undoubtedly my favourite film of the year. It is a masterpiece war film depicting a rarely covered portion of the war - the retreat of the Allies. I admire the experimental method for delivering these three breathtaking intertwining stories that Christopher Nolan employed. Such masterful craftsmanship. Perfectly acted, beautifully scored, gorgeously photographed, succinctly edited, such an intense and realistic portrayal. The level of fear and panic you endure as the viewer is sensational, and you do not ever even see the enemy! This film made me proud to be British. I have to see this again.

A+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

1. Interstellar
2. Dunkirk

3. The Prestige
4. Batman Begins
5. Inception
6. The Dark Knight
7. Following
8. Insomnia
9. The Dark Knight Rises

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Wow, excellent film. An amazing experience from start to finish. Nolan's last film, Interstellar, didn't feel flawless to me, but with Dunkirk he put all the sails straight up and it works from start to finish. With it being a true event the outcome isn't really a surprise, but the film kept me locked in with every shot. Great score, great cinematography, a wonderful cast, Nolan shows all around why he should be considered the most talented director right now. What lifts the film to another level is how it tell the story through 3 different arcs and how they play along side each other at different timelines and are connecting at the same time. The film is an exciting tale of a rather unknown part of the second WW for me. And oh, boy, did this leave an impression I'll remember for quite a while. I look forward to experiencing it again soon.

A

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:47 am
now we know

Sublime film, but there was one thing I questioned. In the "one day" section, at one point one of the characters mentions "the local newspaper". I do not think they would have said this. I think, what with how localised and narrow-reaching people were back then, they would have said the name of the newspaper, not just a broad term for it.

But yeah, an extremely minor screenwriting gripe.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:51 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I love how there is absolutely no rest for the British. There are countless attacks and shots right until the end. It never lets up, which is how war is. Unpredictable, and does not follow normal Hollywood formulas.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

List

1. Inception
2. Memento
3. Dunkirk
4. The Prestige
5. Interstellar
6. Dark Knight Trilogy
7. Insomnia

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 am
Cream of the Crop

You've got to give Christopher Nolan his full credit: without failed experiments like Dunkirk, the quest for storyless cinema would never move forward. It starts off as "Tree of Life: WW2 Edition", then on to a disjointed series of snappy war action clips. It's a post-war movie-war movie. So atomized that it's perfect for splicing apart and assembling your own cracking good war movie at home - just add your own story! On the plus side, the sound design is awesome, but that overbearing Zimmer soundtrack - yikes. If Nolan ever gets hold of a script by a great writer, he might be dangerous. But in the meantime, at least I had plenty of time to think about how all those lead soldiers managed to keep their hair looking so stylin' under battle / sea evacuation conditions. *D*

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next