Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Beatriz at Dinner 

Rate This Film
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Beatriz at Dinner 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Beatriz at Dinner

Quote:
Beatriz at Dinner is an American-Canadian film directed by Miguel Arteta from a screenplay by Mike White. It stars Salma Hayek, John Lithgow, Connie Britton, Jay Duplass, Amy Landecker, Chloƫ Sevigny and David Warshofsky.

The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 23, 2017. It was released in the United States on June 9, 2017, by Roadside Attractions and FilmNation Entertainment, before being released in Canada on June 16, 2017, by Elevation Pictures.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:09 pm
Sbil

Post Re: Beatriz at Dinner
This was well done all around. A biting, often highly uncomfortable social commentary of oblivious white privilege in the Trump era. It's barely over 80 minutes, but manages to cover a lot of ground during that time. This is one of Salma Hayek's best performances, with able support from John Lithgow (avoiding caricature) and Connie Britton. The film felt like it was building towards a Death and the Maiden-esque conclusion, and only sort of gets there. I wanted a little more meat, I guess you could say. But there's a surprisingly high number of things to digest considering the short running time. B

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:17 pm
---------

Salma was amazing in this. I loved the first 70 minutes of this, but the last 10 minutes...

Spoiler: show
Didn't like the reveal of killing John Lithgow to be a daydream (just didn't gel with the rest of the movie in format), but was even more disappointed with Beatriz killing herself. I don't mind downer endings, but that action just didn't seem to fit her character at all.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:41 pm
Cream of the Crop

Beatriz at Dinner seemed like a lock as an entertaining and illuminating concept for a film, yet it turned out underwhelming in execution. Especially disappointing given the director's previous feature, Cedar Rapids. *B*

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:57 am
Wallflower

This was enjoyable but I swear they didn't know where to go with this movie. The finale didn't feel believable and the whole thing feels too slight. I definitely liked it for a while but the finale is really weak. Hayek was great though.

7/10 (B-)

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:15 am
Forum General

I enjoyed this movie but I wouldn't ever watch it again or think of it again for that matter. I don't think it took full advantage of it's plot, it could have really delved into some discussions and while it started to go there, it didn't last for long. I just expected more of a punch. The acting is very good by all though and the time goes by pretty quickly. I do agree they didn't really know how to end it and some of the things that Beatriz did throughout the film seemed a bit out of character for her. Entertaining but slight.

B

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was good up until the ending which sucked. Salma was excellent though, as were John Lithgow and Connie Britton. B-

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:23 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Nerve-racking coming together of rich and poor, righteous and sinful, greedy and the generous, the healing and the harmful. That aspect, I loved. It is a mouth-watering exhibition of differing world views. The performances are all top-drawer too. But the film is let down by its ending, and by its lack of logical and real connective tissue between Beatriz's dead goat and Doug's business operations. I assume it is meant as a dig at the destructive force of multi-national carelessness, but I feel the film loses potency in its otherwise virtuous message by taking this leap. Still good, but disappointingly flawed.

B+

Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:02 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I was surprised to hear that Hayek's character is called "Beatrice". I was saying "Be-uh-triz" before. I guess that's the Spanish way to spell the name.

Also, just remembered this, Chloƫ Sevigny insulting the French. :funny:

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

This was a hard-hitting film that for me evolved from B range to A range the longer it marinated in my thoughts. It's a deft, sometimes hilarious, sometimes aching, microcosmic slice of what it feels like to be a healer in this world where most of the 'big-movers' are profiteering, soulless men. Peace unto the realms of the hearts that bleed.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]