Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Big Sick 

Rate This Film
A 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

The Big Sick 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post The Big Sick

Quote:
The Big Sick is a 2017 American romantic comedy film directed by Michael Showalter, from a screenplay by Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon. It stars Nanjiani, Zoe Kazan, Holly Hunter, Ray Romano, Adeel Akhtar and Anupam Kher.

The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 20, 2017. It is scheduled to be released on June 23, 2017, by Amazon Studios and Lionsgate.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Big Sick
This movie was absolutely delightful and heartwarming. It's definitely one of the best of the year so far. It has an incredibly sharp script that's sweet and unpredictable, and fleshes out every character enough so that all of them feel like real people. It is also hilarious and has several laugh-out-loud moments. The entire cast is uniformly excellent. Kumail Nanjiani delivers a breakout star-making turn here, he's incredible. Zoe Kazan is wonderful and the two of them have a lovely chemistry - they're a very easy pair to root for. Ray Romano and Holly Hunter are both absolutely fantastic here and play well off each other. I was particularly impressed by Hunter, she displays some great comedic timing. All of the comedians that play Kumail's friends (including Aidy Bryant) are hysterical. The whole thing just clicks and is a really uplifting watch. I loved this. A

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:57 am
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

The Big Sick is a little too sweet for my taste and the ethnic humor is a little too broad. Don't get me wrong, it's a crowd pleaser - a parallel universe version of My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Just didn't quite work for me. *B*

(PS: The cast is solid with the exception of Ray Romano. I'm a fan of his TV show, but he essentially plays the same character slightly toned down here, and it kept taking me out of the moment.)

Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:51 pm
Wallflower

This was delightful. Very funny and charming. I loved Kumail Nanjiani, Zoe Kazan, Holly Hunter, and Ray Romano in it. Hunter being the standout. She would be deserving of a Best Supporting Actress nomination.

8/10 (A-)

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:05 pm
Pure Phase

This is a sweet, modest, nicely acted comedy, but it did not wow me. It has so many concerns and subplots—the main character's secret secularism contrasted with his traditional Muslim family, his travails as an aspiring comic, his ex-girlfriend's illness/hospitalization, her parent's estrangement after an act of infidelity—and the experience begins to feel too long, a perfectly solid 85-minute movie stretched to two full hours. Maybe the film should have jettisoned the stand-up elements; they are rather wan and mostly unfunny compared to such pictures as Lenny, Funny People, Obvious Child, and Don't Think Twice. The best scenes involve Holly Hunter and Ray Romano, both excellent.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:42 pm
Extraordinary

Very enjoyable, quite refreshing to see a movie like this this summer.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:51 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I think the biggest nail it hits is how self absorbed men are in terms of relationships.

I mean its a superb movie and I love it, but its the scene where the main guy lists his efforts and he gets rebuffed. it nails hard and its true. Not everything is about you.

You have to have some self cop on about how you aren't the most important thing.

This movie showed that while still acknowledging proper love.

Simply stunning and easily one of the best of the year.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:48 pm
Defeats all expectations

The bit about Kumail's Pakistani family/cultural conflict is a bit shallow. But his personal journey through Emily's coma and interactions with her parents feel real and sincere. Not many dramedies have this sincerity.

78/100 (B+)

Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:30 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I watched this last year and still have fond memories of this. Didn't like Kumail as much but Holly Hunter was brilliant in this.

8/10

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:52 pm
On autopilot for the summer

This film wants to be great and it just isn't? It's solid. It just steals from a lot of films that make it weaker.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]