Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Transformers: The Last Knight 

Rate This Film
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
D 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 12

Transformers: The Last Knight 
now we know

Post Re: Transformers: The Last Knight
Jack Sparrow wrote:
I still have no idea why this was called "The Last Knight"

It is odd, I agree. I mean, it is 100% referring to Mark Wahlberg. He is The Last Knight. But it could also mean so many other things, such as Laura Haddock. She is the descendant of Merlin and is the only one that can handle the staff. Is she The Last Knight as well? Or is it Optimus? I mean, he does most of the fighting for them all, and he has a fucking huge sword on his back. And then there's the added confusion of all those Transformer knights being resurrected. And the one in the crashed ship that gives the pendant to Wahlberg. He's a knight too. So yeah, silly title or incoherent story - one of them is at fault.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:44 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I did enjoy seeing Bumblebee as a World War II Transformer soldier against the Nazis. That was enjoyable and unexpected, which gives me hope that the Bumblebee spin-off will be good.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:07 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I liked that bit from Bumblebee part as well, I wish it will be given a totally different treatment and we see a good movie.

As for the TLK I think it was clear that Wahlberg was him. From what I remember Hopkins' character mentions the same during history lesson but then for some reason Haddock is shown to be able to touch the table and energize it (Merlin was never part of the round table as he was most the magician/advisor and not an actual knight, but whatever). That part of the film is actually good so I didn't mind it as much.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:53 pm
now we know

There are definitely plot holes. But eh, they did not influence my overall opinion. Other things did.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I actually didn't mind this to much. Knowing that this franchise is mostly about high-cgi slugfests and with all the bad rep the film got I didn't expect much. For the first hour and a half I was actually enjoying this enough, I found the plot that centered back to the middle ages interesting, the characters were likable and it had some cool action too. But it then drops off hard after that, once they get into the sub marine, I found all the underwater stuff incredibly dull while the rest filled itself out with mostly blunt action that couldn't keep my attention really. It moves a long at a fast pace, that it's not easy to keep track of what's really going on, but I did found it pretty linear. One example of the fast pace is when they reel of all the names of people involved with the "society" (of people involved with transformers? didn't exactly catch that part), but it was nice to see Shia come by.
A shorter run-time is probably what would have helped the film the most, putting things together in a more concise package. I felt it just didn't need the whole Cybertron element to this film. Wish it could have finished better, but for the larger first part of it I found it to be passable entertainment.

C-

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:23 am
Keeping it Light

David wrote:
While I am sure this film is full of product placement, it is not as noticeable as it was in past Transformers, particularly the fourth. Which is almost disappointing. ;) Because it is fun to see Bay find ways to frame a lavish action shot around, say, a sunlit Pepsi billboard.

The most obvious moment here is Wahlberg's character having a robot to bring him...can't remember if it was a Coors or a Bud. And at one point, despite this portion of the film being set in South Dakota, his teenage-girl pal sips from what seems to be a Chinese-brand milk carton.

Yeah, the teenage-girl pal sips from a carton of blue/yellow colored milk tea. Other product placements I saw, and I'm not sure if they're also on the version released in the US. Right at the start the music service the scientist uses: Kugou, and the guy supervising the junk yard for Wahlberg, he's browsing this Chinese car site: xin.com

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:31 am
now we know

I did not notice any product placement.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:45 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

It was definitely more toned down, appearing only for a second and nothing glaring like how Stanley Tucci was sipping that milk on the roof in Age of Extinction.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:53 am
now we know

Actually, I may have noticed Cisco yet again, but then I may be remembering one of the other four.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:12 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Wow this was unpleasant. I had a fair amount of warning but I trusted in Mr. Bay. This felt like someone else took over and was forced to do a very poor imitation. There's not even any cool action sequences. Wahlberg summoning Excalibur was great, but thats only one of the 140+ minutes.

How can anything be edited so poorly? The main draw of the film is the Bumblebee vs Optimus fight and it begins OFF SCREEN. Absolute insanity. I didn't think there was anything that could turm against this franchise but The Last Knight found a way.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:37 am
Cream of the Crop

Who gave it an A?

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:53 am
Keeping it Light

We're unlikely to find out if that person doesn't leave a review. But Riggs gave it a B in his yearly list, so that lone A could represent him and a few others who liked this.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:09 am
now we know

tree and a half wrote:
Who gave it an A?

Libs.

:rofl:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:21 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I honestly don't know why I still bother with these movies anymore either. It took me a while to even warm up to the first film, and while most people hated ROTF I consider it almost a masterpiece compared to these later sequels. I don't know why, but I can at least have some fun with the action sequences in it, and as much as I didn't like DOTM the last 30 minutes was impressive in terms of action. Between this one and Extinction though I could give less of a shit for anyone or anything happening. Both movies feel so weightless when it comes to the action too, yet somehow this is still a worser film.

I really don't even know where to start, but first off why the fuck was Optimus only in this for like 10 minutes? I mean they made such a big fucking deal about him being the villain and he isn't even in the movie that much. Also, his so called big fight with Bumblebee which they also tried hyping up was pretty disappointing too. As much as I like Wahlberg as an actor my feelings haven't changed about him from the last one. He is so wrong for these movies whether or not he's playing a genius, Texas inventor or generic, action hero. Laura Haddock as the new love interest was ok I guess, but I never took her seriously as a scientist. The little girl was about as useless as John Turturro, and I'm still trying to figure out why Anthony Hopkins agreed to be in this other than collecting a quick paycheck. If their are any positives I can think of it's that yeah the action looked good, and their are a few spectacular visual shots, but none of that is enough of a reason to sit through this.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:06 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

There are multiple stories mixed together and this is still an incoherent mess but I enjoyed it a little more this time. The first act is done nicely but ends badly, the middle act introduces Wahlberg and Moner's characters and their relationship but then doesn't follow up much on this till the final act, the Hopkins character and history lesson along with banter between the leads are great but it doesn't explore much on this. The finale is a lot of action that feels tired with stakes that can be ripped off from the previous Transformers movies. I really wish they made a movie without stuffing so many things in it and instead focused on a simple story. Luckily we did get a good Bumblebee movie from this.

C

Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2