Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Book of Henry 

Rate This Film
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Book of Henry 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post The Book of Henry

Quote:
The Book of Henry is a 2017 American drama film directed by Colin Trevorrow and written by Gregg Hurwitz. The film stars Naomi Watts, Jaeden Lieberher, Jacob Tremblay, Sarah Silverman, Lee Pace, Maddie Ziegler and Dean Norris.[4][5] The film was released in theaters on June 16, 2017, by Focus Features.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:26 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: The Book of Henry
The Book of Henry is a sad strange tale that takes a course so crooked that your mind may be bent by it. I loved the domestic parts exploring how this odd family lives, and I was in the mood for melodrama - so this offbeat little charmer got me! Yep, calling it now: TBOH will be a future cult sentimental favorite. The fine acting carried me through the waves of emotion. Naomi Watts is always awesome, and here she gets to play the full spectrum; Jaden Lieberher's resilient magnetism in the title role is indispensable; and though in a relatively minor part, Jacob Tremblay tops up the film's sincerity quotient. Sarah Silverman adds a pinch of bite. If you're in a cynical place right now, I suggest you skip The Book of Henry. But if you're up for an unpredictable thrill ride through this wistful funhouse fairytale of a movie, buy a ticket and hang on tight! *A*

Safety Not Guaranteed - A+
The Book of Henry - A
Jurassic World - C
Episode IX - ?

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:32 am
Cream of the Crop

Though hardly a rave, this review does manage to capture some of the charm of The Book of Henry.
Quote:
The Book of Henry is straight-up bonkers, and I loved it.

(Warning: Contains major plot spoilers.)

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:28 am
Superman: The Movie

Yeah, Bradley would love this.

I’ve been a (silent) defender of Colin Trevorrow (more indifferent than anything else). I really liked Safety Not Guaranteed and Jurassic World is fun if you completely ignore how it treats its female characters.

But with the one two punch of his directorial work in The Book of Henry and his screenwriting effort on Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, I can’t help but see a filmmaker who has complete and utter contempt for his audience.

There is not one moment of emotional realism in The Book of Henry. Everything is meticulously calculated to be manipulative. You’d think the movie might trip over a moment by accident, but nope, not one moment. The closest we get is when poor Tommy learns from our villain Henry that he’s not going to a win a gold medal in dodgeball at the Olympics and that life is ultimately pointless except when we spend it with those we love.

While trying to be appealing for everyone this movie ultimately turns out to be for no one.

But man does it have its moments. I don’t know how Naomi Watts didn’t blurt laugh while delivering the line, “WE ARE NOT MURDERING THE POLICE COMMISSIONER, AND THAT IS FINAL!”, to poor Jacob Tremblay.

D-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]