Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Black Butterfly (2017) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Black Butterfly (2017) 
Pure Phase

Post Black Butterfly (2017)

Quote:
Black Butterfly is a 2017 American thriller film directed by Brian Goodman and written by Marc Frydman and Justin Stanley.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 28, 2017 11:27 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Black Butterfly (2017)
This is a hard film to grade because it is a dynamic, involving, and suspenseful drama right until it becomes absolutely absurd in its final 10 or so minutes and downright insulting in its last few shots. Antonio Banderas plays a once-celebrated, now-uninspired writer and alcoholic living in a secluded Colorado cabin. After a chance encounter in a diner, he invites a charismatic traveler (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) to stay with him. The drifter begins to exert control over his host, urging, even threatening, him to stay sober and create. The influence of Stephen King's Misery—and its iconic film adaptation—is clear as author-versus-house-guest tension mounts, and the way the main characters' pantomime of a rivalry and hostage situation slowly, almost imperceptibly morphs into an actual hostage situation is intriguing. Banderas and Meyers both deliver brooding, compelling performances. Unfortunately, the film decides it requires not one, but two twist endings in the overt, this-changes-everything Primal Fear/Sixth Sense/Usual Suspects tradition, and both land with deafening, groan-worthy thuds. The first is grating in a more conventional way: a major reversal, an expository monologue, prior scenes shown from another perspective, an overwhelming sense of contrivance, etc.
Spoiler: show
The second, as far as I can tell, implies almost the entire film was a dream (this old chestnut, lazily served without adornment or commentary). Such a move feels almost contemptuous of the viewer and the time he or she invested.

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon May 29, 2017 3:30 am
Wallflower

Post Re: Black Butterfly (2017)
I had someone ruin the ending for me and I'm glad they did. Will not invest my time in the movie after that. Seriously the worst kind of twist they could have.

Wed May 31, 2017 3:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]