Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Justice League 

Rate this film.
A 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
D 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
F 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

Justice League 
Extraordinary

Post Justice League

Quote:
Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman's selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:52 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Justice League
Shorter than MAN OF STEEL, more coherent than SUICIDE SQUAD, and considerably more focused than BATMAN V SUPERMAN, JUSTICE LEAGUE nevertheless manages to be a bit of a disappointment. It's a wet firecracker of a movie, all of its energy sucked away by studio brass fearful of backlash.

Heroes are recruited. A(n infinitely boring) villain is battled. It's fine. Nobody's going to find equivalent "Martha" joke-fodder in this movie.

But you know what? The "Martha" plot point, for all its silliness, came from a movie that had a lot on its mind. And the only thing JUSTICE LEAGUE has on its mind is the filmmakers (and I'd say this film is more the product of Warner Bros. executives than either Zack Snyder or Joss Whedon) begging you not to hate it.

And hey, I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it all that much, either.

Grade: C

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:53 am
now we know

Got to love that review. :funny:

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:04 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Cool comparisons. Wet firecracker :funny:

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:51 am
Extraordinary

Justice League suffers from choppy editing and some distracting factors (I couldn't focus on the opening scene as Cavill's face looked distorted... luckily it's not too bad in the second half of the film) the cast is very enjoyable and I think the tone was well done. I loved Ezra Miller and the other new additions fit their roles well too. (Although surprisingly i thought Aquaman had the least impact in the league/film) The humor didn't feel too shoehorned and yet this still felt like a DC film.

WB needs to stop fucking up with editing their film. If they let the transitions run more smoothly [like BvS UE] it would've made a much more enjoyable movie. Also so many scenes in the trailers didn't make the final cut, which was also distracting. That said, the team makes the movie thankfully.

1. Man of Steel
2. Wonder Woman
3. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
4. Justice League
5. Suicide Squad

Last edited by publicenemy#1 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:29 pm
Extraordinary

The end credits scene was a really great addition though. The crowd I saw it with went crazy.
Spoiler: show
(Although some kept saying it was Deadpool lol)

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:36 pm
Extraordinary

Superman resurrection scene was aces.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:45 pm
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
eidt: I take back my swipe at TDS. He didn't hate the Martha thing back in 2016 either (I also don't hate it). my bad g.

I think the execution is silly and unnatural, but the idea of their mothers having the same name and that suddenly making Superman human to Batman... I actually think that's a pretty great idea, haha.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I would go with the same. Its good and I enjoyed it much more than BvS and SS but there are some repeated mistakes and rushing of things. The fight is again numbing CGI battle and somehow less engaging, I felt BvS fight was more (equal) teamwork and had brilliant background score than this one. The actual fight relied too heavily on one character which I didn't like but the biggest problem I had is that we don't get that sense of team spirit from the final fight even though they keep saving each other here and there. There was never a big reveal (there was one but we are never given time for it to sync in, thanks to crappy editing) or some surprising power/act, no team coordination during the fight or the army never put them or the surroundings in real danger like we saw with the first Avengers.

5/10

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:18 pm
Keeping it Light

JL is just plain bad, there's so much wrong with the film I'm not sure where to start. It seems the film makers had no idea about what to do with it either. There's no sense of direction, constant tonal shifts make it impossible to get sucked into the story. Pretty much right from the start it mumbles and fumbles along with silly dialogue, trying-so-hard jokes that just don't work, and the worst superhero villain I can remember. The CGI on Steppenwolf looks just bad and there's nothing interesting about his motivations either. The JL trailer already seemed to show a flawed film, and the end result just doubles on it, the editing is poor, how we go right to the action in one scene to a dramatic character scene in the next is uninspiring, and the cringing dialogue doesn't help in any way either. Suffice to say, it's the abomination I feared and actually expected. The DC universe hasn't showed promise since BvS. There's bits in scenes that are a bit fun to watch, Wonder Woman blocking a charade of bullets (but seriously, does that even make sense for her to be fast like that), Superman kicking ass, but none of it is enough to even get one whole good scene. Every tiny bit of good, is covered by heaps of bad. There's no excuses either, they got the disposal of every budget and talent (with the cast itself nothing is wrong, except Hinds's Steppenwolf, just ugh). Worst of the year for me so far.

F

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:05 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

That's too harsh. Its surely not as bad as BvS or SS.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:15 pm
Keeping it Light

Ah, it's so much worse for me, they just keep getting worse and worse, and they're not learning anything. I'm befuddled with any praise WW got too.

1. Man of Steel - B+ (very good film, nice origin story, unfortunately a bit un-done by blind CGI action in the last act)
2. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - C (not unreasonable to define it as "It's not perfect, but it's fun!")
3. Suicide Squad - D+ (a mess, somewhat saved by some cool characters)
4. Wonder Woman - D (only Pine saves it from being worse, as bad as a film could be in all other departments)
5. Justice League - F (how not to make a film)

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:28 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

So yeah Wonder Woman wasn't a great experience for me as well and I thought it is/was overrated as well but I somehow feel JL was better than BvS and SS.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Wonder Woman was great! This? We'll find out soon enough

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:49 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Well it was great for many but maybe a few people didn't like it?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:50 pm

I think that sounds fair.

I'm just glad they finally made a superhero movie with Wonder Woman that knew how to hit its emotional beats, knew how to use a theme in an artistic way, and how proper three act storytelling (Marvel always falters in the third act outside of maybe Ragnarok). It was cheesy at times, sure, but at least its third act had some emotional payoff for once. I didn't really understand that until my second viewing. That cheese keeps it from being an A film, but none of the MCU films are A films, so outside of Logan,Wonder Woman is easily the best superhero film since The Dark Knight.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:30 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I know what you mean in terms of payoff in Wonder Woman, there is a small one but its not used very well afterwards in the final fight.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:38 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I loved this review for Nate Zoebl - A super reviewer at RT

Quote:
The story behind the Justice League movie is one of turmoil and turnover. Zack Snyder has been the cinematic voice for the DC film universe (DCU) and, if you listen to enough critics and fans, the weight holding down the franchise. Justice League began filming in the spring of 2016, which means they had a considerable lead time before release. Either they went into production with a script they were unhappy with or they learned it. A year later, in the spring of 2017, Snyder bowed out of his directorial duties to spend more time with his family in the aftermath of his daughter's suicide. Enter Joss Whedon, the wunderkind behind Marvel's record-breaking Avengers. The studio was unhappy with Snyder's rough-cut, deeming the footage "useable," and tapped Whedon to make drastic reshoots. He rewrote the film enough to earn a writing credit from the WGA. Complicating the already pricey reshoots was star Henry Cavill's mustache, a holdover from the filming of Mission: Impossible 6. He wasn't permitted to shave his 'stach, and so Warner Bros. was forced to pay likely millions... to digitally erase Cavil's facial hair (DCU is 0-2 when it comes to mustaches this year). The final product is being met with great fanfare, hope, and curiosity. If anybody could save this project it's Whedon, right? Well Justice League could have been renamed Super Hero Fatigue: The Movie. Months (?) after the death of Superman (Cavill), Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck) is traveling the world and recruiting a very specific group of job candidates. He needs serious help to combat an oncoming alien adversary, Steppenwolf (voiced by Cirian Hinds). The cosmic Big Bad is looking for three special boxes, a.k.a. mother boxes, to destroy the world. Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) helps Batman convince the half-man/half-machine hybrid Cyborg (Ray Fisher), underwater dweller Aquaman (Jason Momoa), and hyperactive speedster Flash (Ezra Miller) to form a league of sorts to thwart Steppenwolf. Aggressively bland, lazy, and unmemorable, I was genuinely left questioning whether Justice League was somehow worse because it wasn't worse. It's not the aggravating stew that was Batman vs. Superman or Suicide Squad, but those weren't exactly easy hurdles to clear. To put it in another colorful analogy: while it may not be a flaming dumpster fire, it's just a dumpster, something you wouldn't give any mind to because, hey, it's just a normal dumpster, and why would you even want to spend time looking at that anyway? That's Justice League for you, a DCU super hero film that's better by default and still disappointing to the point that you wish it would be mercy killed to spare us a prolonged death rattle. This movie is ground down to the raw pulp of a super hero movie. It lacks personality. Stop me if you've heard this one before from a modern super hero film. An ensemble of poorly developed characters must band together to stop a dumb villain from world annihilation with a giant energy portal in the sky. There have been now five DCU films in this sputtering cinematic universe and three movies fit that formulaic description. Even the 2015 Fantastic Four remake followed this. The draw of this film is its mythical heroes, yet they are so lazily developed that we rarely feel any sense of awe or reverence with them. The cast chemistry is relatively strong and the actors have been well chosen, but let's go person-by-person in this league to determine just how poorly the story serves them. Batman has become the Nick Fury of this new post-Superman world, taking charge assembling a team to combat a more dire, powerful alien threat. He's the least super in many regards and has fleeting moments contemplating his mortality, but just when you think they might give the older Batman some depth, they pull back. His biggest relationship is with Wonder Woman and their central conflict feels contrived. He's angry at her for not getting more involved (hey, Wonder Woman, you got out there for WWI but sat out the Holocaust?). It feels like a strange managerial tiff. Affleck (Live by Night) seems to have gotten more growly and smug. Gadot (Keeping Up with the Joneses) scowls and scoffs. Considering they've each lead a DCU movie, we should be more attached to them in this story. He's not fun to be around and neither is she. The new members have some degree of promise. Aquaman is a gruff, shaggy, tattooed loner embodied by Jason Momoa, and his performance works better than the character does. Momoa (Game of Thrones) is charismatic as a wild man but he comes across as a fraternity jock. His cocky, carefree persona and aesthetic is trying too hard to re-imagine Aquaman a sexy superhero for today. The underwater action scene in Atlantis is so cumbersomely filmed and staged that I think I realized, in that moment, how visually dreary underwater fight scenes are. There goes any last shred of interest in the solo Aquaman film coming in 2018. Cyborg is basically a modern Frankenstein story and should have had affecting characterization about the battle over reclaiming his humanity. Instead he becomes the plot equivalent of a Swiss army knife, able to open any locked device or technological obstacle. The Flash/Barry Allen is the best part of the film by default (a familiar term in this review). Miller's (Perks of Being a Wallflower) extra jubilant performance feels like a course correction from the criticism of how unflinchingly gloomy BvS was. He's the stars-in-his-eyes rookie who is also a fanboy first, geeking out about getting to work with legends. It's not just that the fanboy-as-hero angle was already tackled better by Marvel in Tom Holland's newest edition of Spider-Man, it's also that the film doesn't know when to stop. Barry Allen has to quip for every occasion. While some belie his insecurity and nervousness about being promoted to the front lines of hero work, several are forced. The coolest thing he can do is run so fast time slows down, yet we've already seen this displayed better and with more witty panache in the recent X-Men films with Quicksilver. Flash is the only character with anything resembling an arc, and this amounts to little more than not being as terrible at fighting and getting a job. He makes his dad proud... by getting a job, and this is sadly the best example of a character arc in Justice League. Another course correction was ditching overly complicated plotting for simplification, which can be a virtue. With Justice League, simplicity gives way to a dispirited lack of ambition and effort. The plot is thusly: Batman has to recruit a team to stop a Big Bad from getting three boxes buried around the world. Perhaps some will characterize this as a facetious oversimplification, but that's really all that's going on for two hours. The only other significant plot turn is the resurrection of Superman. The concluding image of BvS was the dirt hovering over Clark Kent's casket, heavily implying he was coming back, so this really shouldn't be a spoiler. The heroes suddenly decide the mother boxes can bring Superman back, and they know how to do it, and then just do it, without any setup. If it had been Cyborg who came up with this plan since he shares the alien technology that could have made some degree of sense. No, it's Bruce Wayne who comes up with this idea, a man with no experience with alien technology. The heroes use one of the magic mother boxes to bring Superman back from the dead and then, inexplicably, leave it behind for our villain to capture. Literally the characters look over their shoulders and, whoops, a giant energy vortex has sucked up the final item needed to destroy the world. Maybe one of you should have had somebody watching that important thing. There are other moments that speak to the troubles of simplicity leading to laziness. The opening sequence with Wonder Woman involves a group of criminals taking hostages in a bank. Oh, these are sophisticated bank robbers you might guess. No, these are, in their own outlandish words, "reactionary terrorists," and they're here to set off a bomb. Why did you have to enter the bank, let alone take hostages, and call attention to yourselves then? Would a bevy of car bombs not get the job done? These guys are on screen just to be dispatched by Wonder Woman, but at least put some effort into them. Here's another example of the effects of oversimplification. Steppenwolf's base of operations is an Eastern EuropeanRussian bloc city in the wake of an abandoned nuclear facility. We see one desperate family fret over the flying Steppenwolf hench-demons and barricade themselves in their home. We then keep cutting back to them again and again. Will they have a greater importance? Is the final mother box to be found underneath their home? No, they are merely an on-the-ground a perspective and offer no insights, complications, or interest. We just keep checking in with them as if they are the most irrelevant war correspondent. When the climactic battle ensues, they're the sole lives we see in danger from the epic fighting. The villain is also a severe liability, as Steppenwolf feels plucked from the mid 2000s video game. He feels like a mini-boss from a God of War game. Not a boss battle, a mini-boss. His entire character design is ugly and resembls a goat. He may be twelve feet tall or whatever he is but he is completely unremarkable and nonthreatening. He wants to bring about the end of the world by collecting his three world-destroying MacGuffins and making them cross the streams. His back-story happens midway through the film and is shockingly a rip-off of the Cate Blanchett-narrated prologue from The Lord of the Rings. All the races of the world and beyond teamed up against this dumb dude and then they took possession of his source of power, the three boxes to rule them all, and divided them up among the different races for safety. They're even dressed like Middle Earth fantasy characters. They foolishly split up the boxes in a way that the bad guy would know exactly where they are if he ever came back. This lame villain is also hampered with a lame back-story. I don't understand what about this character makes him invincible in the first half and what changes to make him beatable in the second half. His powers and potential weaknesses are ill defined and you too will struggle to work up any interest for what may be one of the most boring and useless villains in super hero film history. According to my pal Ben Bailey, Steppenwolf makes Malakeith (Christopher Eccleston) of Thor 2 look like Loki (Tom Hiddelston) in Thor 2. Justice League feels like two movies indelicately grafted together, and if you have a trained eye for cinematography you'll easily be able to spot the difference between the Snyder parts and the Whedon parts (final product looks 70 percent Snyder, 30 percent Whedon). Snyder is much more the visual stylist so his camera arrangements are far more dynamic, and his cinematography also makes more use of space within the frame, especially from the foreground and background. His scenes also have a more crisp, filmic look. By contrast, the Whedon scenes feel overly clumsy and with too much strained humor. The Whedon humor holds on a beat longer, as if it's waiting for a canned laughter response to clear. Lois Lane (Amy Adams) remarks about how Superman smells, Martha Kent (Diane Lane) drops a malapropism about her son calling Lois the "thirstiest reporter," Barry Allen's inability to grasp what is brunch, which is the only thing shoehorned into the middle of Snyder footage. Then the brunch joke is brought up again in the first post-credit scene, which had me convinced that Whedon was going to produce some sort of meta moment with the Justice League final post-credit scene mirroring The Avengers, with the team out enjoying a casual meal together. Not only do I think I enjoyed the Snyder parts better but I think I also enjoyed the humor of the Snyder parts better. The color correction is also completely different. Check out the Justice League trailers and you'll see two different climaxes, one before Whedon that takes place in Snyder's typical landscape of diluted grays and blues, and another after Whedon that looks to be set on Mars. An unintended consequence of altering the color correction so decisively is that the costumes suffer. These outfits were clearly designed for the landscape of colors for Snyder's darker vision. Whedon's brightening up makes the costumes look like discount cosplay. It's not that the Snyder parts are that much better, it's that the Whedon parts aren't that great. The action sequences are just as unmemorable as the rest of the movie. Action sequences need variation, they need mini-goals, and they need multiple points of action. There's a reason many film climaxes involve different pairs or groups fighting different villains. It keeps the action fresh, involves all of the characters in meaningful ways, and provides more payoffs. The action becomes more dynamic and complex and simply entertaining. The action in Justice League is thoroughly underwhelming. With the exception of Cyborg being a hacker plot device, none of the characters use their powers in integral ways. All they do is punch and jump. When that happens the heroes are too interchangeable. They also don't seem to do anything different in the third act nor does the climax require them to do anything different, so their victory as a team feels perfunctory and arbitrary. The special effects feel unfinished and unpolished for a $300 million movie. A sequence set on Wonder Woman's home island looks like it was taken from a cheesy Dynasty Warriors video game. A montage during the conclusion has shockingly bad CGI of the Flash running in a goofy, gangly, leg-failing way that made me doubt Whedon's eyesight. The most hilarious special effect, possibly of all time, is the fake Superman upper lip. It kept me analyzing every Cavill mouth I saw. His upper lip looked too waxy with shine and indented too widely. We are not there yet my friends for realistic mustache removal technology. We'll just have to go back to old-fashioned razors and rue this primitive existence of ours. Batman vs. Superman and Suicide Squad have already conditioned audiences to expect the worst, and the fact that Justice League is better may make some mistakenly believe this is a good super hero adventure. It's not. While not the spectacular failure of its predecessors, this is extraordinarily forgettable and thoroughly underwhelming from top to bottom. I think I might have actually preferred Joss Whedon not being involved and simply releasing the full Zack Snyder cut. It would have been stylistically more coherent. Much of the Whedon reshoots do not feel like they are for the better. To be fair, he came in late and this franchise behemoth had already gone too far to fully alter its fate. There are small moments that work but the big moments are what fail. This movie is missing setups, payoffs, and character arcs. It's missing pathos and emotion. It's missing memorable action sequences that are exciting and varied. It's missing basic internal logic. It's missing a greater relevance. The villain is just an obstacle to be overcome without any larger thematic relevance. I struggled to care about what was happening. Ultimately, the finished product feels like Zack Snyder's garage sale ("Here's all the stuff you're used to and maybe you're tired of but I'm not gonna put that much effort into this so maybe we can haggle"). And then Joss Whedon bought it all, repackaged it, and sold it back to you, America. As dreadful as the previous movies were they at least had moments that stood out, many of them for the wrong reasons, admittedly. Justice League isn't as bad and yet is paradoxically less watchable. Nate's Grade: C

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:39 pm
Forum General

Damn stuffp your review actually kinda worries me. Me and you have had pretty similar tastes when it comes to these DCEU films, although I do like SS a bit more than you and I'm not so high on MOS. Still I really hope I at least like it.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:13 pm
Keeping it Light

There's a bunch of action one might like, but narratively and from a character development perspective I didn't enjoy it any way. I just find it very poorly made and without a doubt worse than BvS which is properly most similar to this film, but I still somewhat enjoyed myself with that film and not at all with this one. There's too much wrong with it for me to find any appreciation for it. The individual character abilities are cool, there's a nice use of a Leonard Cohen song too, I liked the mid-credits (it says something about a film when that's one of the highlights and even that was imperfect) but nothing forms any cohesive value. They try so hard on the humour, and there's so much obvious blue screen or green screen or whatever it's called it's unpleasant to see. I didn't see the point at all either of The Flash's dad.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:36 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Ok here's the list for me.

1. Man of Steel - 6/10
2. Wonder Woman - 6/10
3. Justice League - 5/10
4. Batman v Superman - 4/10
5. Suicide Squad - 4/10

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:36 pm

Okay, it was fun. And I agree with Magnus, The Avengers is not that much better than this

B?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:09 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

He didn't say that, atleast in this thread.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:36 pm
Romosexual!

BooYah! A+ :wub2: :wub2:

What a movie for the DC fans. Full of the animated Justice League tv show awesomeness but better cause it’s live action.
Soo much geeking out moments. Loved everything about it. Going to see it again Sunday & Monday.

Oh my god the post credit scenes. Eeeeeeek! Can they just start filming JL2 already cause I’m ALL IN!!!

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:03 pm
Ocarina of Time

A+ of course

People on the internet and haters ask too much for DC films and they can´t realize how crap most marvel films are, I hate comparing them, but that`s how it works nowadays, JL is not the best superhero film but it would easily be in top 10.

This will do really good with general audiences, they liked it a lot, something I did not feel with BvS (UE) and MoS with I think are superior films.

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next