Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Wonder Woman (2017) 

Rate this film.
A 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23

Wonder Woman (2017) 
now we know

Post Re: Wonder Woman
stuffp wrote:
Algren wrote:
Good review. It really is one of the worst superhero films I can recall watching as well. But I did not hate it. I was more just severely underwhelmed at how basic in plot and action and impressive moments it was.

I did not hate it either, but I did feel very unsatisfied and was expecting more. It's not as uneven as BvS or SS, but to counter that it's just consistently more bad. I enjoyed it a little bit too, but a little bit doesn't get it far enough.

Wonder Woman fits snugly into the mold of a nice, organised, light entertainment superhero flick. But it fits so well that it is a bland and blatant copy of the Marvel formula. And then the only area that you wish it DID copy Marvel (post-/mid-credits tease), and it DOESN'T! It is a total washout.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:57 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Gal Gadot should be nominated at The Razzies for Worst Actress. I wonder if they still have enough balls left to do that - I doubt it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:59 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:
stuffp wrote:
Algren wrote:
Good review. It really is one of the worst superhero films I can recall watching as well. But I did not hate it. I was more just severely underwhelmed at how basic in plot and action and impressive moments it was.

I did not hate it either, but I did feel very unsatisfied and was expecting more. It's not as uneven as BvS or SS, but to counter that it's just consistently more bad. I enjoyed it a little bit too, but a little bit doesn't get it far enough.

Wonder Woman fits snugly into the mold of a nice, organised, light entertainment superhero flick. But it fits so well that it is a bland and blatant copy of the Marvel formula. And then the only area that you wish it DID copy Marvel (post-/mid-credits tease), and it DOESN'T! It is a total washout.

I had a hard time seeing Wonder Woman as a Marvel copy, one of the last 2 Marvel's I've seen Ant-Man and Dr. Strange do so much better in creating an origin story in their own way. I didn't even like Ant-Man much, but it has some nice comedic timing. Wonder Woman would be closest to Marvel's Thors. In short I feel Marvel has just much higher production values than DC, like they do things with care, while at the DC universe there seem to be too many forces at play that disrupt any attempt at making a good film.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:45 am
now we know

Without a doubt, Wonder Woman is the Thor equivalent in the DC universe, both in design and quality. And Ant-Man is a relative masterpiece compared to Thor, Thor: The Dark World, and Wonder Woman.

I had to laugh at this poster when I first saw it, but now I totally get why they added Pine. He is the best part of the film. Even in such a girl power film, a man is the best aspect. No matter how shit it looks on the poster from a design perspective, it makes total sense to add him because he steals the show from a poor, poor female lead.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:09 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I really like Gal Gadot, I think she makes a fine Wonder Woman too, but just not a great one. I really liked her in BvS, it was one of the better aspects. I thought her supporting role as the wife-of in Criminal (very underrated film) was great too. Great as Gisele in the Fast series too, funny in Keeping up with the Joneses. Given her Wonder Woman character it's own film was a mistake though. Pine saves it indeed.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:21 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The fact that more people here are hating this than the hot garbage fire that was Batman v. Superman makes absolutely no sense.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:02 am
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

BvS is not a good film, but I had much more fun with that.

While Wonder Woman doesn't have a "Martha" moment, it's just so bland and unexciting.
BvS f'd up to be an epic film but at least it tried, Wonder Woman seemed perfectly content at being average and I respect it even less for that.
I can see people liking Wonder Woman sure, but have real difficulty understanding for anyone considering it at the same level as Logan.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:44 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

thompsoncory wrote:
The fact that more people here are hating this than the hot garbage fire that was Batman v. Superman makes absolutely no sense.

*sees the film is about a woman who is powerful*

nah, it makes sense.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:25 am
The Kramer

I mean its really only 3 people who didn't like it, only one of which could actually being accused of disliking it for sexist reasons (though I don't think that is the case). On the other hand, saying we only liked the movie because of sex politics is also nonsense. Everyone "wanted" BVS to be "more", but it wasn't.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:36 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Well, yes, I was making a joke.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:37 am
100% That Bitch

So much win. This film is everything I wanted it to be

A

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A

Best DCU movie, loved it.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:12 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Magnus wrote:
Can't post full thoughts right now, but this may be in my top 10 comic book movies of all time. I need to see it again to determine it but it's at the first Iron Man level for me.

This :yes:

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:14 am
Profile WWW
now we know

At no point did I get the impression that Wonder Woman was super in any way. She looks dainty and she did nothing (because Gadot is such a bad actress) to dispel that.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:18 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am really surprised with the praise this movie is getting even here in KJ, I thought the reviewers here would not be as forgiving of the flaws that the RT critics are just passing over.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:31 am
now we know

I am not totally surprised. The same portion of KJ also thinks that Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones are funny.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:30 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I'm a fan of the Thor movies. Mythic, sword and shield stuff. I rank them higher than most people do in the MCU movies. I'm also a sucker for origin stories. I also tend to be blinded to faults because of familiar actors being in a movie (Professor Lupin from Harry Potter). So naturally and unsurprisingly I loved Wonder Woman. No Man's Land gave me goosebumps and I ate up the origin story. I was surprised I also really liked Chris Pine. I thought his character might be a throwaway, but it wasn't. And I loved Gal Gadot as Diana. Is it perfect? Not quite. But it struck me as incredibly rewatchable and the length didn't bother me at all. I'd put it in the same league of comic movies as Iron Man, Avengers, and Guardians. The best DC movie (though I am quite a fan of Man of Steel).

A

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Algren wrote:
I am not totally surprised. The same portion of KJ also thinks that Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones are funny.

They are. Just not necessarily together. Or if you're Leslie Jones, on Saturday Night Live, who can't read a cue card to save her life.

You like them too, except McKinnon.

Algren wrote:
Ghostbusters

I quite enjoyed this. The two anchors, Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig, were very good, especially Wigg. McKinnon was annoying as hell and not funny in the slightest (she should be dropped from any sequel). And Leslie Jones was also present (surprisingly not too irritating). The cameos worked well, and I for one loved seeing them (apart from Weaver, by which point it seemed like overkill and was pretty lame as a cameo anyway). Chris Hemsworth steals the show here. He was the cause of 90% of the humour, which is embarrassing when you've got so many actual comedians in the film! But who cares. I can't say "the film was a blast", but it was at least a pleasant surprise. I don't have any nostalgic bias towards the original Ghostbusters films, which made it easier for me to swallow this remake/reboot.

The effects are superb, the film nips along at a really digestible pace, each character is written well enough that they stand out as having their own personality (even if it is somewhat copied from the male Ghostbusters), and it even has some jumpy scenes. All in all, not a bad remake/reboot.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Initial thoughts:

Very enjoyable. Not so much as the Guardians of the Galaxy films (those are my favorite superhero pictures) but up there.

Great acting, good direction, script could have been better, maybe a bit more character development so I cared more about them all...

A few too many "flashback / As you know, Bob" bits. Starts off in the present, goes back to childhood, then there's a flashback / story in childhood, then goes to adulthood where she meets guy who does another flashback / story about the war... you get the idea.

This island has had no contact with the rest of the planet for how many thousands of years yet she not only can speak English but modern English as well? ;)

But I really liked the character, glad she took charge and was the hero, and look forward to more.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Jmart wrote:
Algren wrote:

They are. Just not necessarily together. Or if you're Leslie Jones, on Saturday Night Live, who can't read a cue card to save her life.

You like them too, except McKinnon.

Algren wrote:
Ghostbusters

I quite enjoyed this. The two anchors, Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig, were very good, especially Wigg. McKinnon was annoying as hell and not funny in the slightest (she should be dropped from any sequel). And Leslie Jones was also present (surprisingly not too irritating). The cameos worked well, and I for one loved seeing them (apart from Weaver, by which point it seemed like overkill and was pretty lame as a cameo anyway). Chris Hemsworth steals the show here. He was the cause of 90% of the humour, which is embarrassing when you've got so many actual comedians in the film! But who cares. I can't say "the film was a blast", but it was at least a pleasant surprise. I don't have any nostalgic bias towards the original Ghostbusters films, which made it easier for me to swallow this remake/reboot.

The effects are superb, the film nips along at a really digestible pace, each character is written well enough that they stand out as having their own personality (even if it is somewhat copied from the male Ghostbusters), and it even has some jumpy scenes. All in all, not a bad remake/reboot.

B

Good try, smart ass. But I never said they were funny.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I really wanted to like this, but count me as one of those guys whose completely dumb founded by all the praise. I didn't outright hate it, but outside the No Man's Land sequence this is such a stale and generic, superhero origin film IMO. I agree that MoS, BvS and SS all have major problems, but even at their worst they are still better than anything in this. At least I could tell those movies had somekind of energy behind their direction while this is just routine and uninteresting for the most part. I mean maybe I'm missing something, but the whole first hour already had me bored out of my mind. Sure Themyscira looked pretty, but the Amazons weren't the least bit interesting as characters outside of seeing them in action and it's weird how closed off they are from the rest of the world yet they can speak perfect, modern day English.

I am also one of the few that has defended Gal Cadot in the past although I understand she is not a great actress, but this movie finally showed me that maybe she is the wrong choice to lead a film. Not saying she's awful, but she just doesn't have enough charisma or screen presence to truly create a character you can truly get invested in. Chris Pine was ok, but he honestly seemed to just be playing himself, but if we really have to get into why I didn't enjoy this film it has to be the dog shit, piss poor excuse for villains. Danny Huston is a talented actor, but I am so fucking sick of seeing him being reduced to these same old stock villain roles. Ares and Dr. Poison are no better and all three might as well have been playing villains in a cartoon because that's about all I got out of them. Oh and that third act/final fight is no fucking better than any of the other previous DCEU films.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:42 pm
Extraordinary

1. Man of Steel
2. Wonder Woman
3. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
4. Suicide Squad

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:57 pm
Killing With Kindness

1. Wonder Woman - A
2. Man of Steel - A-/B+
3. Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Extended, never watched the theatrical edit) - A-/B+
4. Suicide Squad - B

Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

1. Suicide Squad
2. Man of Steel
3. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
4. Wonder Woman

Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:24 am
Keeping it Light

1. Man of Steel (B+)
2. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (C)
3. Suicide Squad (D+)
4. Wonder Woman (D)

Groucho wrote:
This island has had no contact with the rest of the planet for how many
thousands of years yet she not only can speak English but modern English as well?

Dil wrote:
it's weird how closed off they are from the rest of the world yet they can speak perfect, modern day English.

This didn't bother me at all though, after all she (they) speak "100" languages and the English was with a twist of ancient "greek" accent which I actually found appealing.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next