Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Wonder Woman (2017) 

Rate this film.
A 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23

Wonder Woman (2017) 
now we know

Post Re: Wonder Woman
Chippy wrote:
I wish I would've bought this forum to ban a few pieces of shit members.

Said like a true Trump supporter.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:23 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Price wrote:

Also, if she has you on ignore, how did she know that your review was tired shit. The only one quoting you is zwackerm, and he only posts one line of your review and the grade, which although negative, is explained why it's given in much more detail in the whole review, which is much more exhaustive than the one she posted, which is not really a review except for seven words.

You're right. It reeks of narcissistic self-importance.

Excuse me, but you don't have this right. When I said "tired shit," I was talking about Algren no doubt jumping on my review and mocking me for being a woman who, gasp, gave a positive review to a female superhero movie. That's why I wrote a preemptive note before my review, it has nothing to do with Algren's opinion on the movie (which...like I said, I have him on ignore, so I don't know what he thought of it).

I would like to be able to watch and review movies in peace without being attacked for it, like he has done to me for years. That is all. It doesn't feel like much to ask.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:26 am
I heet the canadian!

The difference between Price and Algren's post is that one can probably assume Price's was entirely tongue-in-cheek.

Algren, on the other hand, does not have a single self-aware bone in his body.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:24 am
now we know

Libs wrote:
I was talking about Algren no doubt jumping on my review and mocking me for being a woman who, gasp, gave a positive review to a female superhero movie.

Let me just stop you there....that never happened. Talk about victimizing yourself.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:50 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I need to see it again asap. I missed some dialogues cause people were laughing.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:54 am
now we know

Another thing I disliked (and feel was a missed opportunity) was that Wonder Woman never felt truly super. She had a shield and a sword, and ok, she stops bullets with her lightning fast reactions and metal pads on her wrists, but she did not give me the impression of being super strong or being able to fly (she jumps like the Hulk?). I am not too familiar with Wonder Woman, I guess, but I thought she was as strong and as capable of flight as Superman is. Regardless, I felt she wasn't all that remarkable for a superhero in 2017 considering what we've seen in the past decade.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

Libs wrote:
Price wrote:

Also, if she has you on ignore, how did she know that your review was tired shit. The only one quoting you is zwackerm, and he only posts one line of your review and the grade, which although negative, is explained why it's given in much more detail in the whole review, which is much more exhaustive than the one she posted, which is not really a review except for seven words.

You're right. It reeks of narcissistic self-importance.

Excuse me, but you don't have this right. When I said "tired shit," I was talking about Algren no doubt jumping on my review and mocking me for being a woman who, gasp, gave a positive review to a female superhero movie. That's why I wrote a preemptive note before my review, it has nothing to do with Algren's opinion on the movie (which...like I said, I have him on ignore, so I don't know what he thought of it).

I would like to be able to watch and review movies in peace without being attacked for it, like he has done to me for years. That is all. It doesn't feel like much to ask.

My advice: ignore him completely. But by completely I mean don't even mention him, no matter what he says. This forum is relatively small, so everyone knows how everyone ticks. Even if he mentions you, people will know it's the usual stick and just move on, not paying any attention.
But by making yourself the victim, you fuel further attacks which to tell the truth, make this forum much more interesting than any of Chippy's 59000+ posts.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:36 pm
Where will you be?

This forum's unwillingness to address Algren represents a moral failure that has led to multiple posters abandoning this site.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:46 pm
Superfreak

MovieDude wrote:
This forum's unwillingness to address Algren represents a moral failure that has led to multiple posters abandoning this site.

Correct.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:36 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Name those posters.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:36 pm
Pure Phase

Algren is a value to this forum. He is a consistently amusing, challenging, intelligent, and distinctive voice. Boo to people who would sand him and other idiosyncratic posters away until the forum is just people politely reciting tidily anodyne observations to one another.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:17 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Price wrote:
Name those posters.

memberlist.php

Take your pick

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:41 pm
Hold the door!

Does Algren really bully anyone besides Libs? Like consistently? He makes jabs at everyone from time to time, but she's the only regular one.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:06 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

zwackerm wrote:
Does Algren really bully anyone besides Libs? Like consistently? He makes jabs at everyone from time to time, but she's the only regular one.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=82485&p=2173567#p2173567

It's hilarious that you're "OK!" with bullying, as long as it's just one person, and that person is a girl.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:11 pm
I heet the canadian!

Algren certainly has never bullied Jack Sparrow. Not at all.

David wrote:
Algren is a value to this forum. He is a consistently amusing, challenging, intelligent, and distinctive voice. Boo to people who would sand him and other idiosyncratic posters away until the forum is just people politely reciting tidily anodyne observations to one another.
He has made repeated sexist, racist, and outright hateful comments in the past. Or is that the sort of "amusing, challenging" voice that you think should go unpunished?

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:24 pm
Pure Phase

He probes and prods taboos, sure.

You could accuse Magnus of sexism and racism, too, if you perused the entirety of his posting history, and he was handed the key to the entire forum.

I don't want a forum strictly consisting of people who blur together. Firebrands and eccentrics add spice and dimension.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:58 pm
Pure Phase

This is...mediocre verging on all right. It is obscenely undeserving, in my opinion, of the sterling critical reception. Critics are choosing to ignore so many trite or poorly calculated beats: the cliché, for instance, of the talented British character actor playing an underdeveloped, ultra-expository antagonist who transforms into a video-game monster for the let's-throw-each-other-into-big-boxes-and-pavement final fight. Yawn. It also feels its length, a not-inconsiderable two hours and 21 minutes. The second act is far and away the best, with the modest scenes of fish-out-of-water comedy and political intrigue in London and the, I admit, spectacularly conceived, shot, and cut no-man's-land action sequence. I could not invest in the first act...too camp, too plastic, too big-budget Xena: Warrior Princess. And the third is just an unwieldy, overwrought lump of nothing. The airfield scenes become interminable, with everyone racing to and fro, explaining everything to one another, saving the world, having personal revelations. Chris Pine delivers a charismatic performance, and his appeal as a foil elevates Gal Gadot's pleasant-but-one-note performance. I understand people so badly want this to movie to be a big deal, to be more—they want the catharsis provided by those social-media pictures of small girls staring with wide eyes at the poster because THIS IS A GAME CHANGER—but the actual product, I feel, just plays as another in-one-ear-and-out-the-other superhero programmer.

C

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:17 pm
Pure Phase

I want to navigate this with great care lest I be decreed a chauvinist pig, but isn't it a problem (for people who claim to view this from a feminist perspective) how the film is so obsessed with Wonder Woman being this GORGEOUS specimen? A male character isn't sure whether to be aroused or horrified by her supernatural competency, but either way she is on a pedestal. So many gags revolve around how she is just SO beautiful and statuesque and hot and cannot help but turn heads and silence a room, etc., etc. Is this Charlie's Angels-evoking idea of Women Who Kick Ass (And Still Turn You On) preferable to, say, what James Cameron and Linda Hamilton did with Sarah Connor 26 years ago?

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:34 pm
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7#p2173567

It's hilarious that you're "OK!" with bullying, as long as it's just one person, and that person is a girl.

Did I fucking say it was Ok? Don't put fucking words in my mouth asshole. I indeed think that Algren is a Bully and what he does to Libs is unacceptable. Go fuck yourself.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:38 pm
now we know

I most certainly am not a Billy!

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:48 pm
now we know

David wrote:
This is...mediocre verging on all right. It is obscenely undeserving, in my opinion, of the sterling critical reception. ... I understand people so badly want this to movie to be a big deal, to be more, but the actual product, I feel, just plays as another in-one-ear-and-out-the-other superhero programmer.

Beautifully put. :yes:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Wonder Woman is the kind of film where it's hard to find anything good about it. To reel of my displeasures. Gal Gadot proves to be not capable of leading a film, she does not have the acting range or aura to put a film on her back. The action is often rendered boring with an overuse of slow-motion. The score is nothing particular, the wonder woman theme is cool but so very sparingly used. Danny Huston is just one of the worst villains I've seen in a film before. Then there's more other annoyances too. About the topic of feminism which seems to surround this film, it feels very much like it's forced in, but also I didn't even found it helped it's cause. Mainly because Wonder Woman appears just so naive in the whole film. Sure, book smart and physically strong, but also clumsy and foolish in her thinking sometimes. Also moments like, "oh, I love ice-cream" and "love is what made her conquer evil" make Wonder Woman more like a character in a chick-flick. Well enough about that, the script simply isn't very good either, most of the dialogue is cringe worthy. It's worst superhero film I ever recall watching. The things I did like, Chris Pine was a cool supporting character, but I found it odd he played a British soldier with his American accent. Connie Nielsen and Robin Wright had nice roles in the beginning of the film too. Some of the action scenes are surely cool too, but nothing we haven't or don't see anywhere else. On a last note the setting of how it incorporated the settings of World War I didn't work for me either.
Well that's about it.

D

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:05 am
now we know

Good review. It really is one of the worst superhero films I can recall watching as well. But I did not hate it. I was more just severely underwhelmed at how basic in plot and action and impressive moments it was.

stuffp wrote:
The things I did like, Chris Pine was a cool supporting character, but I found it odd he played a British soldier with his American accent.

I did not think this was an issue or oversight on DC's part. But as you brought it up, I guess it is a similar case to Brad Pitt's character in Allied.

stuffp wrote:
Wonder Woman appears just so naive in the whole film.

I also got the impression she was a bit stupid. I mean, she ultimately is correct, but the film does not paint her this way. The film tars her with the "oh please shut up about your mythological ideas" brush, which undermines the film's feminist ambitions.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:17 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:
Good review. It really is one of the worst superhero films I can recall watching as well. But I did not hate it. I was more just severely underwhelmed at how basic in plot and action and impressive moments it was.

I did not hate it either, but I did feel very unsatisfied and was expecting more. It's not as uneven as BvS or SS, but to counter that it's just consistently more bad. I enjoyed it a little bit too, but a little bit doesn't get it far enough.

Algren wrote:
stuffp wrote:
The things I did like, Chris Pine was a cool supporting character, but I found it odd he played a British soldier with his American accent.

I did not think this was an issue or oversight on DC's part. But as you brought it up, I guess it is a similar case to Brad Pitt's character in Allied.

And I did think about this, but at least there he was considered as an American, working for the British, he played a Canadian even I thought, speaking French too as an asset for the job. The Max Vartan character simply makes much more sense to me than Steven Trevor did, although Pine himself surely was good.

Algren wrote:
stuffp wrote:
Wonder Woman appears just so naive in the whole film.

I also got the impression she was a bit stupid. I mean, she ultimately is correct, but the film does not paint her this way. The film tars her with the "oh please shut up about your mythological ideas" brush, which undermines the film's feminist ambitions.

Yeah, exactly what I felt.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next