Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Wonder Woman (2017) 

Rate this film.
A 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23

Wonder Woman (2017) 
Extraordinary

Post Wonder Woman (2017)

Quote:
Before she was Wonder Woman, she was Diana, princess of the Amazons, trained to be an unconquerable warrior. Raised on a sheltered island paradise, Diana meets an American pilot who tells her about the massive conflict that's raging in the outside world. Convinced that she can stop the threat, Diana leaves her home for the first time. Fighting alongside men in a war to end all wars, she finally discovers her full powers and true destiny.

Sat May 20, 2017 6:15 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Wonder Woman
Grade: B+

Take the bones of the good-natured, idealistic first CAPTAIN AMERICA movie, toss in the fun fish out of water antics of THOR, and bake in the Doomsday fight from BATMAN V SUPERMAN, and you're 90% of the way to having seen WONDER WOMAN already.

The recipe works, because everything comes back to Diana and Steve -- and both Gal Gadot and Chris Pine bring it. These are two characters you cheer for and want to see happy, and that makes up the generally perfect second act and provides the fuel for the shakier third act; an act that really could have devolved into the same uninvolving flurry of pixels as BVS, but doesn't thanks to the emotional choices at the center of it.

It's funny and exciting with a nicely-tuned dose of drama. And it's the best DCEU film by a mile.

More like this, please.

Sat May 20, 2017 6:23 am
Romosexual!

:D can't wait

How was the God of War??

Sat May 20, 2017 8:06 am
Extraordinary

Once armored up, he's basically Doomsday with dialogue.

Sat May 20, 2017 12:50 pm
Extraordinary

There wasn't last night, but it's entirely possible Warner Bros. was hiding it from the press.

Sat May 20, 2017 11:52 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

The producer says there isn't one.

http://batman-news.com/2017/05/21/wonde ... -scene-no/

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon May 22, 2017 10:27 am
Ocarina of Time

Maybe he is lying, I don't remember if there were reports of a post credit scene in SS early screenings

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Mon May 22, 2017 10:39 am
Extraordinary

I don't think he gains anything by lying.

Wed May 24, 2017 1:35 pm
I heet the canadian!

Mostly quick thoughts here: It's an odd beast. Overall it's definitely my favorite DCEU film, but still a middle of the road comic book flick at best.

Gal Gadot does a fine job when she isn't forced to spout nonsense about the God of War and corrupting of humanity. She is a charismatic screen presence and shares a lot of chemistry with Chris Pine. The actual sequences of Wonder Woman fighting German soldiers are a blast, and the film understands cool usage of abilities a lot more than any previous DCEU film.

For the first 30 minutes or so, I thought this film was in deep trouble. But it finds its footing and is loads of fun after that until the last act, which is equal parts emotionally engaging and a poster child for the absolute worst attributes of CGI superhero fighting. It really is just a deliriously bad final fight, and feels tacked on as all hell. The villain reveal itself also lands with a thud.

I think the biggest problem with the film for me was the mythology (both in the first act and in the last). I found it all hokey as hell, and completely at odds with the WW1 backdrop. The latter was probably my favorite part, and the frontlines portion was the film at its best. Some of the fish-out-of-water moments involving Diana were a step too cutesy for me, though.

C+

Thu May 25, 2017 4:16 am
I heet the canadian!

I should note that that is at least a full letter grade better than anything I've given a DCEU film prior.

Dark Shape, what was the deal with the last shot of the film?
Spoiler: show
I had kind of spaced out a bit, unfortunately, but it seemed like she heard some kind of explosion. But we get a view of London and I swear there's nothing to see except that cruise ship, and then she jumps right at the fucking camera.

Thu May 25, 2017 4:26 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I'm a big fan of third act slugfests... so I'm probably gonna enjoy this. (not that I wasn't going to, I'm easily pleased)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 25, 2017 7:02 pm
Extraordinary

Biggestgeekever wrote:
I should note that that is at least a full letter grade better than anything I've given a DCEU film prior.

Dark Shape, what was the deal with the last shot of the film?
I had kind of spaced out a bit, unfortunately, but it seemed like she heard some kind of explosion. But we get a view of London and I swear there's nothing to see except that cruise ship, and then she jumps right at the fucking camera.

It's just the typical (spoilered, I guess)

hero goes to work. I don't think she was responding to anything in particular.

In retrospect, it's kind of funny the whole movie is a flashback explaining why Diana writes an e-mail.

Biggestgeekever wrote:
For the first 30 minutes or so, I thought this film was in deep trouble. But it finds its footing and is loads of fun after that until the last act, which is equal parts emotionally engaging and a poster child for the absolute worst attributes of CGI superhero fighting. It really is just a deliriously bad final fight, and feels tacked on as all hell.

We're in complete agreement here. I didn't think the film was in deep trouble early on (I really enjoyed little girl Diana trying to train while her mother kept running her off), but the film improves considerably once Chris Pine shows up.

I actually got a little teary-eyed during the big No Man's Land sequence. That's how you introduce a superhero.

Fri May 26, 2017 2:17 pm
I heet the canadian!

The No Man's Land segment is easily the highlight of the film and the first time I've actually thought this DC universe of films is worth the effort. It is so damn good: it's rousing, it's inspiring, and it kicks ass. It is exactly what makes superheroes so appealing.

My problems with the first act I think boils down to three things:
1) the mythology was just not for me. I know it is taken from the comic book character, but introducing actual greek gods is just out-of-left-field in this universe. Thor 1 was clever enough to make them aliens. This comes back with a vengeance in the final act, too.
2) I found the Amazons to be a complete bore outside of combat. Almost none of them leave a lasting impression. Additionally, we're given no reason why Themyscira represents some greater society. The island sure is pretty, but this doesn't come off like a place that would be remotely exciting for more than a day vacation.
3)
I think Robin Wright is the only Amazon that gets close to being engaging. But she's killed off and is never brought up again, even though it's sold in the moment as a massive emotional loss for Diana. It doesn't even seem to play into Diana's reasoning for going to London.

Fri May 26, 2017 5:24 pm
Extraordinary

Gal Gadot and Chris Pine kill it. Gal is sexy, charming and likable. Their chemistry together is terrific.

Even though for the most part I've been a fan of the DCEU I enjoyed how different this felt from the other entries, I hope the use of other film makers like Wan's Aquaman can keep each film feel fresh like this one does.

This is not a critique of the film itself but it's annoying that most of the coolest shots were in trailers and TV spots, but oh well. *shrug*

Everything dealing with the villains was predictable and unengaging but besides that I had no big problems with the film. It's well-made, entertaining, funny and I'm so pleasantly surprised by how Gal's casting worked in a big way.

Wed May 31, 2017 2:34 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its a decent effort and much better from BvS and SS in terms of how the movie flows. Chris Pine steals the show here from start to end while Gal is great for posters her acting and specially English needs some work. The problem with the film is that its by the books and predictable throughout and while that is not always bad for a origins movie, most of the movie feels like its checking boxes from its list. Nothing in the movie stands out from a story perspective, neither the Greek Gods myth nor the World War aspect. The thing that works best is the chemistry between Pine and Gadot and the lighter tone of the movie, I particularly loved the boat scene when the leads are alone. From CGI perspective, No Man's Land scene works well but it felt too short even though it is continued quickly to the city set-piece, still that scene needed more prowess of Wonder Woman or the team (even though they are all there the team work is not earned). The final act is another brains-to-wall CGI fest and I can see Snyder's complete influence here but this lands with a thud (AGAIN!!). They needed a better final fight scene and even though Pine's character saves it a bit the superhero aspect just doesn't ring true nor does it justify the end of war which WW and the movie was chasing, specially since a similar situation was touted minutes back. This is a step in the right direction for DCEU but its not a home run that the reviews are suggesting.

6/10

Wed May 31, 2017 1:09 pm
I heet the canadian!

Now that I've some more time to collect my thoughts on the film, I think I'll grade each act individually, because I thought there was a substantial dip in quality among each. Full spoilers ahead:

First act: C+
Second act: B/B+
Third act: D

It seems the first act is the place where I diverge the most from people who have seen and reflecting on it, I think I was a bit unfair. There is some beautiful shots there and I was a fun of the storybook section. It’s still pretty rough, in my opinion, and that's for the reason I outlined above. Outside of how that death is handled by the rest of the movie, I don't have any complaints. I did find the dynamic of these incredibly strong, well-trained warriors still suffering severe casualties from guns to be interesting.

The second act has some really great stuff, like the No Man’s Land siege, which I honestly think is one of the best action scenes I’ve seen in a superhero film (some very poor CGI notwithstanding). But the notHowling Commandos do, by my approximation, drag the film down. They each have an issue that alone would be worthy for the film to tackle (PDST! Racism! Manifest Destiny!) that it’s impossible for the movie to get even a superficial treatment of them. I think taking them out and giving more time to Additionally, the fish-out-of-water humor, while often funny, is the film trying to have its cake and eat it. Diana is incredibly smart and learned, but is forced to come off too naïve at the same time. It feels like there are way to derive humor from this situation while commenting on the sexism of the time period (some of which, of course, still occurs today) without resorting to her expressing childlike wonder over ice cream. Still, the aforementioned action sequence really is spectacular, and Chris Pine and Gal Gadot have remarkable chemistry.

That third, though… the more one thinks about it, the more it completely falls apart. I think the film starts to lose me at the gala, where Danny Huston talks to Diana about gods. It lays on that he’s Ares so thick that I immediately knew he couldn’t be. But what’s even more bizarre is how those lines are completely nonsensical in the context of him not being Ares. The actual reveal of Ares consequently lands with a thud. And the fight is, as has been posted before, an embracing of everything wrong with CGI battles.

Of course, this is nothing new to DCEU films. But what makes it so disappointing here is the very complex, intriguing themes the film was tackling just prior to this big reveal. The great version of this movie has her dealing with these feelings for the rest of the runtime, perhaps even saving her conclusions about humanity until a sequel. Sure, Ares is actually controlling humans, he is merely telling them about the best way to kill each other. That still makes this far too black and white for me, and doesn’t really track anyway, considering World War 2 is just around the corner (unless, GOD FORBID, they bring Ares back). The fight itself is even more of a spectacular misfire considering how strong much of the action before is. Ares is a Doomsday who monologues endlessly.

I’m less certain how to digest Diana’s faith in humanity being restored by Trevor’s proclamation of love. They’re chemistry is so good that it works more than it should, but it all feels too quick and too typical. Again, I think the smart choice would have been for Diana to end this film with conflicting feelings about humanity, neither a total abandonment nor holding a “love conquers all” philosophy.

Overall, it is generally a step forward for the DCEU. But it should have been several. You can see the filthy fingerprints of the braintrust behind this series’ other films on the last act, so I truly hope the commercial and critical success of this movie allows Patty Jenkins to create a more cohesive sequel. If she can, that film could truly be a home run.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:00 pm
Superman: The Movie

You know that one scene in Man of Steel where Superman is in the Pacific fighting the world engine and he's on the floor staring up mustering everything he has to fly up and destroy it? It's one of the few scenes in the movie where there is no moral ambiguity and he's just a hero (and it's fitting that many people see Christopher Reeve's face melded into Cavill's in this scene)? And if the scene works you feel this wave of awe and hope wash over you. That one scene? Now stretch it out over 140 minutes and you've got Wonder Woman. She, like Superman, is hope personified. That's what I wanted out of Wonder Woman and I got it.

Is it perfect? No, far from it. The ultimate bad guy is dumb (not to mention he looks stupid). I'm also wouldve liked the film to be a little more blunt about who he was. He's not the god of war but he's her brother? I clearly missed something. His explanation was a little too rushed for me. The CGI is also pretty hideous throughout.

The good very much outweighs the bad though. Gal Gadot is a star. When she steps out of that trench, if you don't get goosebumps...Another unexpected charm is the chemistry between Gadot and Pine. And the movie more than earns that last scene of them on the runway. That last act is a CGI...something, but that scene and Pine's acting in the plane is pretty damn near perfect. That scene has a weight that no DC film has had since Nolan and it's what Lois & Clark only wish they could've have in the Snyder films (and they're good in MOS).

The DCEU is back on track.

A-

That last shot...Jenkins clearly watched Superman: The Movie before and while making this. That movie's tone is felt throughout, and the scene in the alley, but especially that last shot is a wonderful nod to that movie.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

The more I think about it, the more I love it; need to see it again for a final score, but so far it's an A

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:50 pm
Extraordinary

Jmart wrote:

Is it perfect? No, far from it. The ultimate bad guy is dumb (not to mention he looks stupid). I'm also wouldve liked the film to be a little more blunt about who he was. He's not the god of war but he's her brother? I clearly missed something. His explanation was a little too rushed for me. The CGI is also pretty hideous throughout.

Ares and Diana's father is Zeus.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:11 am
Superman: The Movie

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Jmart wrote:

o

Ares and Diana's father is Zeus.

That I got, but is he actually the god of war? Is he actually the god of truth like he says, or was that more of just a villain thing to say? If he's the god of war, when she destroys him, does that mean there are no more wars (even though at the end I think she talks about fighting in wars) or was that just naivety on her part?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:47 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I thought it was fun, if instantly forgettable outside of the middle act, which thankfully is the longest. Almost felt like a Xena Warrior Princess movie. Pine and Galdot make the film though. It's at least got a solid story from start to finish which the DCU has been lacking greatly. Dark Shape put it nicely. It exceeds the Thor aspect, and doesn't wear out the CA parts., outside of completely copying it. Pine saved the finale. Holy shit that was a bad fight, and the villain despite no explanation is super predictable.And yeah, that last shot may have worked before BVS. But it's looking like, she did nothing for 90 years, and no one has heard of her til BVS.

I'm really surprised by the RT score. Though it should be freshish.

It's an odd situation where it is technically the best film of the universe so far. But the other 3 films have much better highlights than here. But it looks like they are moving the right direction. Hopefully JL is the full correction

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:10 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

The final fight is BAD in terms of visuals, setup, storyline and direction. Its just poor and tonally different from the movie plus it doesn't answer (m)any questions, its just there to please action enthusiasts. Based on that alone I don't understand how it is getting such high praise from critics 93% and 7.6 average is almost same as the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie that is SO MUCH better than this. The more comparable Captain America: The First Avenger is a better movie overall.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Superfreak

This is the best Marvel film ever made. Though it is very philosophical for a Marvel film.

1. Where was Patty Jenkins in 2010/2011 whenever Snyder was chosen for Superman??? The "Steve gives super powered hero faith in humanity" is exactly what MOS tried to do with Lois...only it's 100x better thought out and executed here. Which leads to...

2. Gadot and Pine are fantastic. Writing is fantastic. They work very well.

3. No Mans Land build up + fight - the entire 15 minute sequence - is Spielberg esque perfection. Just flawless. The audience clapped a 6 or 7 times during this scene alone, which is frankly worth the price of admission. That is the best character intro, of any character in a comic book film, in years, perhaps since Jokers bank/magic trick scenes. Everybody ate them up. Diana's outrage at the casualties of war, and disgust for lack of immediate action. When she gives them the "fuck this" look, and it goes to slow mo of her transforming into costume & rising out of the trench, my audience THUNDERED with applause the likes of which I haven't heard in a long time.

4. The ending feels a tad forced with the bad guy. The Diana-Steve stuff is flawless, though. I heard a bunch of sniffles.

This is a true A-. Similar feeling to that of Batman Begins or Iron Man 1. Gal as Diana is going to be a big draw regardless of how this film performs. This is going to be a tremendous crowd pleaser.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:33 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I can understand that you liked it but its NOT even close to Batman Begins in terms of quality.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:02 am
Superfreak

No it isn't but in terms of crowd pleasing? Yes.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next