Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Free Fire 

Rate This Film
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Free Fire 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Free Fire

Quote:
Free Fire is a 2016 British action-comedy film directed by Ben Wheatley, from a screenplay by Wheatley and Amy Jump. It stars Brie Larson, Sharlto Copley, Armie Hammer, Cillian Murphy and Jack Reynor.

The film had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on 8 September 2016.[4] The film also served as the closer of the 2016 BFI London Film Festival on 16 October 2016.[5] The film was released in the United Kingdom on 31 March 2017 by StudioCanal UK, and in the United States on 21 April 2017 by A24.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:06 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Free Fire
Has a good cast and has several great moments but lacks 'oomph'.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:06 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Agreed. I thought the cast was uniformly excellent and the script was very sharp but there was something missing. It's still a fun time though. B

Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:25 am
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

If Free Fire had been made by a better director, it could have been a classic - its concept is quite clever and fun. Oh, and while I'm making changes, I'd replace Brie Larson with almost any other actress, other than her miraculous Room, she really can't act worth a damn. Plus, please add a better score. All that being said, it's still a pretty good movie as it stands. *B+*

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:43 pm
Extraordinary

I agree that Brie Larson was pretty meh here.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:36 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought her, Sharlto, Armie Hammer and Cilian were all great. HATED Sam Riley and his character. I wanted him to die like 45 minutes prior to when he actually did.

The movie's problem is the direction. The script and performances suggest a more fun movie than this actually ends up being.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:40 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

tree and a half wrote:
I'd replace Brie Larson with almost any other actress, other than her miraculous Room, she really can't act worth a damn.

You've seen Short Term 12? If not then shut up ;). If so and you still think Room is her only good performance then you're insane.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:22 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah she was equally brilliant in Short Term 12.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:16 am
Cream of the Crop

Magic Mike wrote:
tree and a half wrote:
I'd replace Brie Larson with almost any other actress, other than her miraculous Room, she really can't act worth a damn.

You've seen Short Term 12? If not then shut up ;). If so and you still think Room is her only good performance then you're insane.

True, I didn't see Short Term 12, but her work here and in Kong: Skull Island demonstrates a deadness in her eyes that inspires little confidence in her future work. I can only hope she proves me wrong.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:36 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I believe both these roles were pre-Oscar nomination selections when she wasn't known enough or getting many roles. I do hope she does great roles from here on.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:12 am
Wallflower

tree and a half wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
tree and a half wrote:

True, I didn't see Short Term 12, but her work here and in Kong: Skull Island demonstrates a deadness in her eyes that inspires little confidence in her future work. I can only hope she proves me wrong.

NOBODY had anything to do in Kong. Almost everyone was bland. If those are your only two examples then you just need to see her in more roles. And check out Short Term 12. I think she's even better there than in Room personally.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:52 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Absolutely I believe she was MUCH better in Short Term 12 than Room.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:02 am
Pure Phase

A brutal, well-calibrated, and ultimately very entertaining action comedy. It has its small-but-charming concept—a warehouse-set arms deal goes awry, resulting in a 90-minute gunfight between IRA soldiers and Boston criminals—and it runs around as far as it can with it, establishing the characters' allegiances with economy and allowing a talented ensemble cast to deliver big, scenery-devouring, vicious performances. Sharlto Copley, Armie Hammer, and Sam Riley are particularly excellent. Hammer's performance as an eloquent, well-manicured gunrunner is the best he has delivered to date. And though he is not too ostentatious behind the camera—I imagine another director, say, trying to present this in a single shot—Ben Wheatley's direction is muscular and stylish, and he does a tremendous job maintaining geographic clarity within the cluttered, claustrophobic warehouse setting.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:44 am
Wallflower

I thought it was an entertaining flick. Definitely had a good time with it.

7/10 ( B )

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:07 pm
Forum General

Maybe it's because I watched this after the massive disappointment that was Alien: Covenant , but I had a fucking blast with this movie. It's a highly entertaining throwback to 90's action films, especially movies that were heavily inspired by Tarantino stuff. The ensemble cast works brilliantly, but if I had to pick the standouts it would easily be Hammer, Copley and Murphy. I was actually surprised how much I liked an almost unrecognizable Jack Reynor too. I also loved how violent the action was, but it wasn't too over the top or cartoony. It's too bad this flopped, because we could definitely use more action films like this.

Thu May 25, 2017 9:52 pm
now we know

I have been wanting to see this since David's Toronto Film Festival thread, and I am glad I've seen it. It's very good. Apart from the final "rain check" line, it is superbly well written, and mixes great humour with cool characters in one big shootout. At one time it feels as if the shooting just goes on and on with no purpose, with ricochet after ricochet, and they all get shot to shit with seemingly no damage being done, and they all seem to have unlimited ammunition ... BUT eventually it stabilises, and it is such an entertaining shoot'em up that these trivialities matter little. Wheatley has made a very fun film. He could have improve the editing to allow the viewer to better understand each character's position within the tight confines of the warehouse, but apart from that his direction was top-notch.

Sharlto Copley is magnificent. Armie Hammer exceeded my expectation. Cillian Murphy is reliable as always. Jack Reynor is slowly becoming one to watch. Brie Larson was shit.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Free Fire is fun. There's a whole lot of good about it. I enjoyed the close counters 70's story setting of a weapons deal escalating. The film makes the right turns to make it an entertaining experience. The wildness of the situation is easy to like but it also doesn't get to the point where it becomes something to love. The cast is great though, everyone's got their own nice bits to it, I liked Reynor a lot and Copley is definitely the standout. It could've be nice if there was more to the film than everyone just going out one by one, but it does a very fine job with its script and score.

B+

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:39 am
The Kramer

Yeah this was fun, reminiscent of a bottle episode of a tv show like Breaking Bad. I enjoyed most of the characters and the actors work well with the concept. The big downfall is that this movie is too cool for school, and that it is so cool that it actually made all the twists, especially the one involving Brie at the end, so damn predictable.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:07 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I didn't love it as much as people did it here. I watched this a year back but found the trailers to be better than the actual movie. It just couldn't sustain the Free Fire concept after first half and then it wasn't funny enough to carry the momentum.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]