Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Baby Driver 

Rate this film:
A 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
B 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

Baby Driver 

Post Re: Baby Driver
I liked it. I am not in love with it, but it was a very well made film.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:20 am

Not sure where I'd rank it. Too soon.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:22 am
The Kramer

Edgar Wright makes a Martin Scorsese film and it turns out damn good! His usual genre bending is more subtle here, as things never go too far to the extreme in either comedy, drama, romance and action. But because Baby doesn't care about things like genre, it manages to avoid feeling samey despite having a very very familiar plot.

Having said that, I wasn't totaly in love with it right at the start. The production is top notch, but the story is so familar that the characters seem kinda bored with it. There are a few key character moments in the climax that lifted it up into what I'd consider "Edgar quality". First, Kevin Spacey's character would have turned heel and tried to kill Baby in every other movie like this. Yet here, despite the extortion, Spacey shows he did really look at Baby as a friend and someone he cared about. It makes his death 100x more impactful and quite tragic. In 99% of movies it'd be Jamie Foxx chasing the heroes around at the end. But we already knew he was a psycho killer and he is disposed of at just the right time. Hamm is kind of a protector throughout the movie. The cool kid at school who stands up for the kids who get bullied. So seeing him go terminator after watching his wife die was much more terrifying than anything the comically evil Jamie Foxx could do. And seeing Deborah willing to go Thelma and Louis against the cops at the end, but Baby stopping her sets up the eventual happy ending perfectly. I'm glad they don't have to spend the rest of their lives on the run, even if that would have wrapped things up alot more naturally.

So these little personal touches at the end elevated the rest of the movie for me. It wasn't just flat characters in a fun highlstyle picture. These people can stand alongside those in Scott Pilgrim and the Cornetto trilogy. And because of that, so can Baby Driver.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:07 pm

I agree, the story was too cliche overall, but with interesting choices along the way where it still felt fresh. So it's shoos movie, just not his best, but certainly his most mainstream.

A- for now, but just like The World's End, I'm sure it will rise in time upon repeat viewings. Wright makes very rewatchable films

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:20 pm
Wallflower

I saw it a third time last night and it honestly gets better every single time I see it.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:17 am
Wallflower

tree and a half wrote:
This review from IMDb provides an astute analysis of Baby Driver.

Spoiler: show
Trailer showcases high potential, wasted in the actual film

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

The trailer held great potential for this movie - smartly timed moves to energetic music, explosive car chase scenes, a budding romance.

The actual movie - worth one discounted movie ticket for viewing at the theaters at most.

Why?

You start off with a catchy title 'Baby DRIVER' - so you'd think you'll be seeing Fast & Furious-style chases and such throughout, just like the trailer teases. Yet, the latter 1/2 of the movie is filled with long, long scenes of Baby.... RUNNING?!?

Then, add on all the lost potential - You can easily sing away to the ending song of FF7, but here in Baby Driver, you can barely put together a La La Land-like soundtrack. It's a total scramble of odd songs from across genres that don't really fit together - more like the ramblings of the director's mind - and what you get is nothing that reaches as high as the very first bank robbery scene, which setup lots of anticipation for it's timed wipers, etc.

Tack on paper-thin characterization - the assembled 'team' is barely interesting versus the FF team. Unmotivated and silly scenes.

eg. Right, you go into a building to get weapons, hear a super long blab about port cuts, and only get offered 9 weapons?! And instead of picking the 'best', Jamie starts a shootout, picks up random weapons, and blows the rest up?!? So -stupid- versus FF, where the team is offered the best, and they build and take the best to offer the audience a truly awesome race/fight scene later on. In Baby, it's an aborted effort. Why offer the goods if you're just going to waste it all?

eg. So many scenes are merely Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk.... all in the MIDDLE of an exciting fight/chase/etc. scene. Why, oh, why wasn't all this cut??

And you end up with a miserable ending versus the 'enemy' at the end. Baby steals one car, crashes it into the bad guy's car. Then, Baby gets out, steals another in the parking lot, crashes it again into the bad guy's car. Then, gets out.... you get the idea. Just how fast can one kid get out of a car, break into another, jack it, and drive it into the bad guy?! So unbelievable.... not only for the changing of cars, but now it's become "Baby Car Crash" rather than "Baby Driver".

Spacey dies in an equally lame way in the end - simply shot dead. Not even uses the full potential of Baby here at all, who stands with his girl looking all stupid at the men coming to shoot him dead instead of 'Running' so well like he did earlier in the movie. Why, Baby, Why don't you RUN???? Because it's not a Driver movie anymore and you're facing death.

The movie does stick with you afterwards and you do wonder, what if the fullest potential of the idea had been written into the movie? Imagine if it had Top 10 hits, rocking cameos by top singers, FF-style car chases, an amazing team fighting to escape the cops, etc. Yes, it would have broken Wonder Woman records and become a cult legend.

Instead, Baby Driver slowly deflates after the first bank robbery and leaves everyone with a yawn at the end for the immature ending. (It's also unbelievable how the the girl is characterized - every girl I've talked to who watched it rolls her eyes at the unbelievable way she 'falls in love' all so suddenly.)

You're also left with the tapes. Such unbelievable potential, wasted. It could have had Spacey listen to the 'Mom' tape, setting up the reason he protects Baby in the end and his life changes, realizing the 'love' he once had, but nope. Nothing done with it that would have moved the viewers.

7/10 because it's unique enough to stick in your brain for a day or two after. Otherwise, I'd rank it lower for the fragmented plot, weak characterization of most of the characters, poor pacing, etc.

That person is, well, retarded. They can have their stupid Fast & Furious movies. Baby Driver is for those who love cinema. There's seriously so much to appreciate with this film and even the third time around I was grinning like an idiot with glee as I watched it.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:20 am
Superfreak

Character heavy people will not care for this much.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:11 am
Forum General

Eh I was pretty disappointed with this. Sure the action sequences are well done, especially the parking garage stuff towards the end, but outside of that and the use of music at times I just didn't care much for anything else. I had a feeling from the trailers I wouldn't like Ansel Elgort's character at all and to no surprise I didn't. I mean he might as well have been a plank of wood in this movie because I didn't find him very charismatic or likeable at all and I could give even less of two shits for the so called romance he had with Lily James. It's honestly too bad the supporting cast didn't get more screen time because Kevin Spacey, Jamie Foxx and John Hamm were actually fun to watch and much more interesting characters. Hell John Bernthal in the very little screen time he has makes more of an impression than him.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:37 pm

It's grown on me as do all Edgar Wright's films

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:11 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I should have known this would be bad seeing as it's Edgar Wright, but shame on me for being fooled again. I have never enjoyed a single Edgar Wright film, and a couple of his films I could not even manage to get through and watch in their entirety.

This movie is a mess. The action is cool yes, and the cinematography is nice. However I found the acting extremely inconsistent, the story and script odd, the pacing uneven, and the soundtrack very overbearing, to the point of making this film essentially a musical. Many of the soundtrack selections were not to my liking, and there were very very few moments in the film without overbearing songs blaring loudly. One of the characters in the beginning says something along the lines of "it's nice to have some peace and quiet". Well perhaps Edgar Wright should have looked in the mirror and taken that advice while he was making the movie. Giving a film quiet moments, and time for the audience to breathe and relax is an important directorial skill that seems to have eluded Edgar Wright.

I found many of the choices and actions the characters make and take in the film were dumb, and sometimes even infuriating. Likewise with some of the directorial choices.

My biggest problem was the third act of the film. Don't really feel like mentioning all my problems with it.

This gets a big fat D from me. Were it not for the action and cinematography, this would be a flat out F in my eyes.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:08 pm
Keeping it Light

This is great, I love how the film is guided by music and the getaway scenes are awesome too. The cinematography is excellent and it further bangs it home with a very good cast. Especially Jamie Fox stands out in his best form. It's not perfect however, I missed a click between Baby and Debora to be completely on board with the story. But the film is an incredible blast from start to finish, pumping tunes and with frenetic action sequences it bedazzled me in my seat.

A

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:28 am
now we know

This isn't bad. It's fun but it is very much style over substance. It thinks it is so clever because it has some slick camera techniques and lots of musical integration, but it overuses songs and slow-motion, and it also gets repetitive and the choice of songs does not complement or heighten the action. Also, the way it drip feeds information is a pointless tactic that will make morons think they have a high-level grasp of film. Lily James is absolutely gorgeous, but Ansel should not have played Miles. I do not get this film's reception. It's just some easy viewing fun, nothing groundbreaking. Scenes such as Miles mincing around his apartment while his handicapped, blind father-in-law performs sign language really drags this film down.

A disappointment.

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The stepfather is deaf, not blind. Hence the sign language. ;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:26 pm
now we know

Whatever. He also has weird eyes.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

It is an action film that people will think they are clever for spotting things. "Ooh, the words of the song are on that tree! How smart! What, you didn't notice it? Oh man, I can't believe you didn't spot that!". It's a fine gimmicky technique, but it is just needless style over substance, for morons to think of themselves as intelligent.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Surprised I enjoyed this so much considering it's not my genre. But it was really entertaining, well written and funny. The actress who played Darling or Monica or whatever her name was was SO hot.

A-

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:10 pm

Yes Zwack. Yessssssss!

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:26 pm
Killing With Kindness

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Yes Zwack. Yessssssss!

This

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:56 pm
Profile WWW