Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Life (2017) 

Rate This Film
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

Life (2017) 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Life (2017)

Quote:
Life is a 2017 American science fiction horror film directed by Daniel Espinosa, written by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick and starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Rebecca Ferguson and Ryan Reynolds. The film follows a six-member crew of the International Space Station that uncovers what initially seems to be the first evidence of life on Mars.

The film had its world premiere at South by Southwest on March 18, 2017, and will be released in the United States on March 24, 2017 by Columbia Pictures.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Life (2017)
I thought this was an absolute blast and a great sci-fi horror popcorn flick. If you take it at any more than surface level you'll find a cavalcade of plot holes and idiotic characters, but in the moment it's a wild ride bolstered by strong performances and direction that keeps things moving at a breakneck pace. I was on the edge of my seat throughout and some scenes were legitimately scary. The big action/horror sequences are all remarkably well done though I don't think this landed as well in the character development moments. Jake Gyllenhaal and Rebecca Ferguson are both really strong here too, with the latter probably having the most to do. I also kind of saw the twists coming (and there are a few, especially the ending) but they were fun all the same. It also looks great for a movie with a relatively middle-of-the-road budget. Hugely entertaining. B+

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:18 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

And for the record, this is definitively NOT a Venom prequel. I have no idea how that rumor even started.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:19 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I thought it was a solid watch, although pretty forgettable besides a few scenes that made me cringe.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:51 am
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
And for the record, this is definitively NOT a Venom prequel. I have no idea how that rumor even started.

This Venom? :P

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:22 pm
Extraordinary

I just saw a commercial that has a quote saying Ryan Reynolds steals the show...

um...
Spoiler: show
he fucking dies in the beginning :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:26 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

That same commercial also shows the

creature literally eating him

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:41 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I honestly expected that from the second I saw he was third billed below Gyllenhaal and Ferguson.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:03 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

This was a total Alien ripoff. But a mostly effective one. I don't think it made all that much sense, but it's pretty unsettling and has some majorly creepy set pieces.

They also weren't afraid to "go there" with (major spoilers):

Killing off Ryan Reynolds immediately even though he was advertised as a lead
or
The chilling, unsettling, dark ending audiences will probably hate but I loved.

B

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:31 pm
Pure Phase

Not an incredible film, but a solid one. It benefits from being lean, mean (R rated), and unpretentious: six astronauts versus a malevolent octopus from Mars, go! It does what it does well, with crisply shot, propulsive set pieces; appropriately slimy creature F/X; and an excellent (overqualified, honestly) lead in Jake Gyllenhaal. Ryan Reynolds going the way of Samuel L. Jackson in Deep Blue Sea is a bold move, though it is a shame there is a television spot in rotation spoiling this.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:08 am
Pure Phase

Earth is fine because Calvin is going to be those fishermen's sushi dinner. ;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:09 am
Speed Racer

Definetly going to watch since Jake is there :funny:

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:05 pm
Cream of the Crop

Life is shit. I hate horror movies that depend on the stupidity of their characters to advance the story. Horny teenagers at camp is one thing, but the highest trained humans on Earth working under the strictest protocols? Give me a break. Total waste of time. *F*

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:56 pm
Wallflower

Decent time-waster. Really liked the ending.

7/10 ( B )

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:31 am
Angels & Demons

Very very bad and sad. I lost track of what was going on ya know. Very confusing. D+

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:26 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This could have been so much more but by spitting out it's danger it goes the generic action route. Also the deaths are very script manipulative specially the space one. First Calvin needs a certain atmosphere and then it doesn't. The ending is decent and the thrills are decent. It is creepy when it wants to be and the cast is all great here.

6/10

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:16 pm
Forum General

This was ok, but it's basically an Alien rip-off with less likeable characters outside of Ryan Reynolds who isn't even in it that much. The performances are fine, but Jake Gyllenhaal seemed like he was on autopilot most of the time, and I didn't care for Rebecca Ferguson's character. Both were too monotone and boring for me to ever get interested in. The sound design and the score are the highlights here IMO, and while the set pieces with Calvin are entertaining it got pretty stupid after a while when the movie just let him do things out of plot conveniency which made no sense. The human characters were especially stupid in this, and please don't let me get started on that dumb ending. I get what they were going for, but the execution was poor.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:18 am
Cream of the Crop

Thankfully, the writers made one thing scientifically accurate - the decontamination flame thrower. Current astronauts start every day by giving the whole station a good flame cleansing to prevent contamination. It only makes sense.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:40 am
now we know

An intense, edge-of-your-seat sci-fi thriller - the type of film that Alien wishes it was! - with a superb cast and performances. It has elements of Gravity, elements of Alien, and elements of Deep Rising, but it is very much its own creation too. It is a very well-made film. It knows what it wants to achieve, and it focuses on that. There's no delay. Big things happen, and then happen, and then happen. It has claustrophobia, paranoia, suspense. The intensity doesn't let up until the [albeit predictable] final scene. Then Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" plays as the end titles roll, leaving you with a jolting and cruel realisation that we're all screwed. Great film.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri May 19, 2017 7:27 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Life is a welcome close-quartered sci-fi thriller. It doesn't bring anything new to the screen, but it has a good cast and nice effects. It's by the books script make it never become really great, but it uses the material well and kept me interested throughout it's neat run-time. The very last scene is what made me feel thwarted about rewarding it for it's otherwise fine execution. The escape pod mix up seemed all to predictable and took some of the joy out of the ending for me. It was eerie though and also followed by a fitting end-credits song.

B

Mon May 22, 2017 1:33 am
Hold the door!

Surprisingly good film. Really exciting, though it does run long near the end, and of course the characters are dumb like in a lot of horror type films. Makes me want to watch Alien/s since I've never seen them.

A-

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:24 am
Superman: The Movie

There is not one plot development or twist that can't be seen coming from a mile away, especially the one at the end. The movie's called Life. It's born, we're all gonna die, it'll live. Great. I don't think I've ever seen this before...

And where the movie really fails is with the creature. Outside of a couple of head on shots, it's not convincing or menacing (unless squid is your biggest fear). That's a problem. If you never believe it's truly with them and trying to survive, then what's the point?

The cast...well, considering most of the marketing featured Reynolds in the lab you knew he wasn't going to last long. His death was fun though. The foreign members of the crew are mostly forgettable and don't feel at all like stereotypes. The handicapped guy is kind of interesting for a couple of scenes and then the creature latches on to his dead legs. And Ferguson and Gyllenhaal have a couple of good scenes acting together (those 12 hour days of doing nothing but shivering must've been tough).

Yeah, this was a waste. And boring.

D

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:14 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

If you want to watch supposed geniuses make frustratingly bad decisions for two hours, this is the movie for you. For everyone else, avoid Life like an alien plague. And none of the production aspects rise enough above generic to make up for the terrible script. This was awful.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]