Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Beauty and the Beast (2017) 

Rate This Film
A 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
B 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 18

Beauty and the Beast (2017) 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Quote:
Beauty and the Beast is a 2017 British/American musical romantic dark fantasy film produced by Mandeville Films, and released by Walt Disney Pictures. The film was directed by Bill Condon and is from a screenplay written by Stephen Chbosky and Evan Spiliotopoulos.[5] The film is inspired by Disney's 1991 animated film of the same name, itself being an adaptation of Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont's fairy tale. The film features an ensemble cast that includes Emma Watson and Dan Stevens as the titular characters with Luke Evans, Kevin Kline, Josh Gad, Ewan McGregor, Stanley Tucci, Audra McDonald, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Ian McKellen and Emma Thompson. In the film, Belle is taken prisoner by a fearsome Beast in his enchanted castle and she learns to look beyond his appearance while evading a narcissistic hunter who seeks to take Belle for himself.

Principal photography began at Shepperton Studios in Surrey, England on May 18, 2015, and ended on August 21. Beauty and the Beast premiered on February 23, 2017, at Spencer House in London and is scheduled to be released in the United States on March 17, 2017, in standard, Disney Digital 3-D, RealD 3D, IMAX formats and Dolby Cinema.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:22 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Beauty and the Beast (2017)
An enjoyable but inferior version of an animated masterpiece. This is 40 minutes longer and yet this version lacks the charm and power of the original. Emma Watson is good (besides processed singing vocals...) but I think they could've got someone who could have been perfect for Belle.

Evermore is pretty great though.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:57 pm
Hold the door!

The three new songs are all great! I usually hate the pop versions they do, but Celine Dion, Ariana Grande and Josh Groban are amazing so I can't complain here.

I listened to the soundtrack. Emma sounds like the little boy from Sweeney Todd.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:17 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

It is good and has a decent re-watchable quality but it is definitely inferior to the animated version. The added bits and pieces were decent but they needed more of the inner beauty/love angle to make it look different. The actors are all good and I loved the sets as well as makeup (might win some Oscars for that or atleast get nominated).

7/10

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:41 pm
Pure Phase

I highly enjoyed this. I have a fond memory of the animated film, but I have not watched it in full in a long time, so I did not enter this as an obsessive fan or with any enormous preconceived notions, positive or negative. And it plays as an luxuriously designed, romantic, wholesome, and largely satisfying musical; no single element is a revelation, but it is made with obvious technical skill, incredibly easy to watch, and infused with a certain earnest joy which almost registers as therapeutic in the Trump era. Emma Watson, who I remain rather dubious of as a serious actor, is slightly overshadowed and devoured by the enormity of the production, but Dan Stevens is an intense, magnetic presence as the Beast ("Evermore" is my favorite scene from the entire picture), and the myriad talents on hand in either digital or physical form—including Kevin Kline, Ewan McGregor, Ian McKellen, Emma Thompson, and Stanley Tucci—are roundly delightful.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:52 pm
Hold the door!

Truly excellent. My favorite remake ever.

The vast majority of the film is an improvement over the animated picture. The main scene I did not like as much was Be Our Guest, because it felt more realistic and less magical in live action. But from the moment the film opens at the prince's party, the visual style is just absolutely impeccable. Big ensemble numbers like Belle, Gaston, and The Mob Song soar in live action; it almost feels like the number is happening in real life.

Emma Watson is amazing as Belle. I agree her voice sounds a little too perfect at times thanks to editing, but she just has an innocence and a purity about her that I can't believe anyone who watched her wouldn't fall in love. I saw this in IMAX 3D and it was probably the best 3D I've ever seen. There was so much depth to the sets and costumes, even though I'm sure much of it was digital, I never found myself questioning if any of it was real. IT WAS REAL!

The three new songs for the film are all fantastic and I'm almost sad they weren't saved for another Disney film because I fear this film will be forgotten like Disney's other live action remakes. Evermore is fantastic, Dan Stevens knocks it out of the park, way better than the Josh Groban version, which is amazing because he is my idol. How Does a Moment Last Forever is a great motif that fits in perfectly with the score, eventually culminating in the Celine Dion version. I was not a huge fan of her before this movie, but consider me a convert. She is amazing! And I really liked Days in the sun, especially the duet between Garderobe and Belle, which also uses the motif from How Does a Moment Last Forever.

Everything about this movie is utterly sumptuous, over the top and glorious. Gaston is not quite as obnoxious as his animated counterpart, which made his reveal at the end of the movie more shocking. Maurice was improved as a character 1000X. Kevin Kline was so sympathetic. I'd want Maurice for a father! And Josh Gad is great as Lefou. The gay moment is so short and subtle, there really didn't need to be such hullabaloo.

Literally everything about this was perfect. It changed just enough while keeping most of what we loved from the animated feature: the songs, the characters and the complex story, which I'd argue is told in an even more adult and complex way here.

I want to go see it again ASAP.

A+

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:19 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

The animated film is the first movie I ever saw in a theater and has always had a very special place in my heart. I was absolutely obsessed with it as a child and saw the stage version twice on Broadway. I've probably seen the original movie no joke 100 times. Needless to say this was far and away my most anticipated movie of 2017, and easily the most excited I've been for a film since The Dark Knight Rises or the last Harry Potter movie. I was not let down. This is a sumptuous, gorgeously made film that, while not necessarily reaching the heights of the flawless original movie, establishes itself as its own sublime piece of Disney magic.

The minute the opening chords of the prologue theme hit I had chills down my spine. The score and songs just stand on their own so well, and they are aided by three strong new entries here as well as many homages to the Broadway score (which had several great songs that were unused) in the compositions as well. "Evermore" is easily the best of the new songs though "How Does A Moment Last Forever" was also lovely and "Days In The Sun" served the story better than the similarly themed but more upbeat "Human Again" from the musical and the re-released theatrical version 15 years ago.

The performances are universally strong, but I was most impressed by Luke Evans. In addition to having an incredible singing voice, he oozes charisma in the best/worst possible way as Gaston and is clearly having an absolute blast. The whole "Mob Song" sequence just epitomized for me an actor in their element enjoying every second of what they were doing. Emma Watson is absolutely lovely and makes for a wonderful Belle, she's the anchor of the movie and really sold all the elements of her character (her singing voice was also lovely! I don't understand the hate). Dan Stevens was great as the Beast in a largely motion-capture performance. "Evermore" is a great sequence and he has strong chemistry with Watson. Kevin Kline is great as an expanded Maurice, and Josh Gad plays a role he could handle in his sleep but with charm and pizazz.

The vocal cast is all great but special mention has to go to Ian McKellen who is the standout, and Emma Thompson who takes an iconic role and makes it her own. Stanley Tucci, Audra McDonald, Ewan McGregor and the wonderful Gugu Mbatha-Raw are all excellent as well.

The direction/visuals/costumes/production design are out of this world. I see Oscar nominations in the future for almost every technical aspect. It's an absolutely gorgeous movie to look at. And Bill Condon pays great respect to the original movie in so many aspects of his direction, but adds his own flavor to it as well. I loved the new backstory beats about Belle's mother and may have cried in the Paris sequence. And there are so many wonderful little touches that are made to enhance the story. It's a movie that demands to be seen on the big screen.

It is out of this world amazing to hear this music again on the big screen. The orchestrations are just incredible. Also this is a musical through and through. It really harkens back to a movie from the '50s or '60s.

Overall, you probably couldn't find a more die-hard fan of the original film on this board and I thought this was absolutely beautiful. It stands on its own while honoring the original movie and what made it so special to so many people. I will definitely be seeing it again.

A

And for the record, only cried 3 times ;) Paris sequence, "Evermore," and the transformation/ending because I do any time I watch this story and also it was beautifully done here (particularly the objects turning back. My heart :( LOL )

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:57 pm
Profile YIM
King Albert!

Okay, here are my impressions. I thought some of the additions were good, and they added on to the story and gave more specifics. The visuals were creepy, but the good kind because that was the point. However, the biggest flaw with the film is Emma Watson herself. She can't sing, her dancing is atrocious, and she clearly has a British accent when she supposed to be French. They needed another actress. Other the that, everyone else played their roles brilliantly (Especially McKellan). I give it a B for the great story structure and visuals, but Belle prevented it from being an A.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:56 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Josh Gad got the most applause both times I saw the movie. :lol:

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:14 am
Hold the door!

Cory, is the original BATB better than La La Land?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:43 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Of course.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:11 am
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

The Scottie wrote:
she clearly has a British accent when she supposed to be French

This is a rather daft criticism. ;) No one expected Belle to be played with a French accent. She wasn't in the original animated film.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:37 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Seeing this again tomorrow.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:30 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

It's goodish...and completely inferior in every single way to the original. With one exception. I could watch a Gaston/LeFou movie all fucking day. Their romance is actually kind of more believable than what happens with Belle and the Beast.

So what works...

Gaston - Luke Evans dominates the movie
LeFou
All of the actors*
All of the old songs**
The Mansion***

What doesn't work

*Dan Stevens is kind of a non-presence, but I blame the CGI snore than anything else.
*Belle (the opening number) sucks whenever Emma Watson is singing, which is funny because she's not bad for the rest of the film. For some reason she doesn't go for the high notes that she's able to hit in later songs. She's probably not the voice Belle deserves though.
***The ballroom scene. What the hell kind of chintzy ass ballroom was that? That scene was sweeping and massive in the original. Here, they kind of just dance in a circle.
CGI Beastface
The new songs
Nitpick - Why does Gaston use a gun? In his big number he's dancing and pretend sword fighting with everyone ("WINK") foreshadowing how he will "kill the Beast" (yes, it's a dagger in the original but same thing). So of course his weapon is a gun.
The end credits - What fucking soap opera was that out of?

B-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme...

Beauty and the Beast '91 is, in my opinion, still Disney's finest animated film (not counting any Pixar movies). This live-action remake, while not having the same power, is elegant and lovely. The production design is outstanding, and the music is all rather wonderful (even the new songs..."Evermore" and "How Does a Moment Last Forever" are very pretty). Emma Watson represents a fine Belle; she doesn't make her jump off the screen, but she's not deserving of some of the criticism she's gotten. Dan Stevens is similarly solid, but the best acting in this is Luke Evans, who is clearly having the time of his life as Gaston. For me, this was fairly comparable in quality with the Cinderella remake from a few years ago. B+

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:25 pm
now we know

I didn't think it was going to end. It was torture enduring this superficial, badly acted, and quite frankly silly live-action remake. I hated it. The story, the script, the unnecessary 3D, the acting, the characters, the production's design, the songs (not one memorable song among them!). It's just idealistic nonsense that is best left in animated form.

F

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Perhaps the gay moment was cut from the Chinese release. I didn't spot anything that I would deem a "gay moment", though obviously Gaston's assistant is quite camp and probably masturbates to him every night. Could someone shed any light on what the gay moment is?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Algren wrote:
Perhaps the gay moment was cut from the Chinese release. I didn't spot anything that I would deem a "gay moment", though obviously Gaston's assistant is quite camp and probably masturbates to him every night. Could someone shed any light on what the gay moment is?

Lefou dances with a dude at the wedding at the end.

And your review makes it obvious you don't like this kind of film anyway. Why did you even see it?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:45 pm
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
Algren wrote:

Lefou dances with a dude at the wedding at the end.

Oh, right. Quite a small bit. Very surprised this was even a thing, to be honest.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
Beauty and the Beast

I didn't think it was going to end. It was torture enduring this superficial, badly acted, and quite frankly silly live-action remake. I hated it. The story, the script, the unnecessary 3D, the acting, the characters, the production's design, the songs (not one memorable song among them!). It's just idealistic nonsense that is best left in animated form.

F

How do you rate the 1991 version?

I'm assuming you're referring only to the new songs?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:05 pm
now we know

Not seen it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Algren wrote:
Not seen it.

:whaa:

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:07 pm
Hold the door!

I think this movie will help Luke Evans career. Hopefully he gets a juicy role and transitions into becoming a serious actor.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:10 pm
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
I think this movie will help Luke Evans career. Hopefully he gets a juicy role and transitions into becoming a serious actor.

If he does, Richard Madden will be kicking himself.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
And your review makes it obvious you don't like this kind of film anyway. Why did you even see it?

I believe I can appreciate any type of film if it's well-made. This wasn't.

And what is "this kind of film" anyway?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next