Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Beauty and the Beast (2017) 

Rate This Film
A 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
B 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 18

Beauty and the Beast (2017) 
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Beauty and the Beast (2017)
It's too bad you didn't enjoy it. Especially since you loved La La Land and Sing Street so I know you're not averse to musicals.

I love both but the animated film is better than this and as a film fan you should really watch it at some point. The ballroom sequence in particular is still incredibly impressive on a technical level even though the movie is 26 years old now. There's a reason it's in the National Film Registry for historical preservation.

I've been listening to the soundtrack a lot and the score is so gorgeous. I know Alan Menken can't get nominated but I hope the new songs do, even if they're inferior to the old songs. I've really warmed to "Days In The Sun" too which I wasn't too fond of on the first listen.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:43 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

Did you really not find any of the songs memorable?

Belle? Be Our Guest? Beauty and the Beast?

They've proven to stand the test of time.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:44 pm
now we know

Jiffy wrote:
Did you really not find any of the songs memorable?

I thought I might actually recognise at least one of the songs, but none of them stood out (and they were not enjoyable). It was like this film [and its songs] was brand new.

The same can't be said for songs in The Lion King, Aladdin etc.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

All of the songs from the original movie are basically iconic in the public lexicon. Even "The Mob Song" is GREAT (and I actually prefer it to "Gaston").

But yeah, "Be Our Guest," "Beauty and the Beast" and "Belle" are the best known.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:50 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

thompsoncory wrote:
I love both but the animated film is better than this and as a film fan you should really watch it at some point.

I would, but my experience watching this isn't making it a must-see.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's probably in my top ten movies of all time. And I do feel it's more emotionally resonant than the remake if you know the backstory behind its development, mostly because of the Howard Ashman backstory.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:54 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

I am a bit surprised by Algren's blunt-force hatred of this.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:08 pm
Hold the door!

Algren have you seen and liked any of the following? I know you hated Frozen (and you say you hated Moana, but I know you're just saying that to piss me off) so I'll leave that off.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty
The Little Mermaid
Pocahontas
Mulan
The Princess and the Frog
Tangled

If you don't like any of those princess musicals, you probably wouldn't like Beauty and the Beast either.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:23 pm
now we know

I've not seen any of them.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I've had the soundtrack on all day. All the known songs are wonderful, of course, but I really love "Evermore" and "How Does a Moment Last Forever."

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:34 pm
Angels & Demons

I said sit there times this weekend and gonna see it more gurls! It for serious almost is good as the anauamayed classucvegr it does f quit e there there without the same heart and pact as the original film. A--

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:19 am
now we know

zwackerm wrote:
Algren have you seen and liked any of the following?

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty
The Little Mermaid
Pocahontas
Mulan
The Princess and the Frog
Tangled

Algren wrote:
I've not seen any of them.

Ok, so that's not entirely true. I think I've seen Cinderella. But it would have been when I was very young, and of the other older Disney films, it is hard to NOT see them, though I have not seen them in their entirety...just the famous parts or maybe they were on in the background. Growing up, you see lots of clips and generally know the story, and sometimes it feels as if you have seen the film when you actually haven't. Disney is so invasive into a child's visual memory that it can feel that way. Anyway, I know that I never owned any of them. When I was a child, my video collection consisted of Crocodile Dundee, Action Man, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Hook, football videos, and Stallone, not Disney stuff. My brother also didn't have any Disney's. I definitely have not seen Pocahontas, Mulan, The Princess and the Frog, and Tangled. The type of Disney stuff I saw was the more boyish stuff like The Jungle Book and Fantasia, and other animated stuff like episodes of Donald Duck, Goofy, Wacky Races, Road Runner, and Sylvester and Tweety. Disney wasn't much on the schedule for me as a child.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:39 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Algren wrote:
and other animated stuff like episodes of Donald Duck, Goofy, Wacky Races, Road Runner, and Sylvester and Tweety. Disney wasn't much on the schedule for me as a child.

First two are Disney, the rest isn't.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:17 am
Profile WWW
now we know

_axiom wrote:
Algren wrote:
and other animated stuff like episodes of Donald Duck, Goofy, Wacky Races, Road Runner, and Sylvester and Tweety. Disney wasn't much on the schedule for me as a child.

First two are Disney, the rest isn't.

Well aware. Hence...

Algren wrote:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:25 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Donald Duck & Goof = Disney. So some of your other stuff is still Disney.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:00 am
Profile WWW
now we know

_axiom wrote:
Donald Duck & Goof = Disney. So some of your other stuff is still Disney.

Other, as in ... not film.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I found this new live action Beauty and the Beast to be an unpleasant experience. The tone was inconsistent, swinging back and forth from over-the-top to insipid. The overall look (lighting/art direction) was dingy and cheap, including much of the cgi (especially the Beast's face and the Beast's long range movement). Other than Kevin Kline, I didn't like the human casting - Emma Watson never seemed to be the smart woman she was supposed to be; Luke Evans didn't make a suitably dashing Gaston; Josh Gad was just plain irritating. The character cgi was uninspired - Lumiere barely had the characteristics of a candelabra, rather just a little gold man; the rest of them just didn't have enough character portrayed in their faces - they left me cold. The movie was too long, at least a half hour should have been chopped - the original was 84 minutes, this is 129 minutes - it felt interminable. The songs came off muddied in sound, not the angelic fluency of the originals. I can't imagine a worse remake - this was awful. *F*

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:11 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

shocker

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:49 am
now we know

tree and a half wrote:
The overall look (lighting/art direction) was dingy and cheap, including much of the cgi (especially the Beast's face and the Beast's long range movement)

Yes. This is exactly what I thought. It all felt very cheap. I suppose this is expected when an animated film turns into a live-action film, but I wasn't giving it a pass because of that. Live-action also doesn't allow the goofiness of the Beast's transition from hard-ass to softy to play out in a likable way.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Chippy wrote:
shocker

You loved it? I honestly found it repulsive. And although I'm going against the majority of corporate media reviews, I'm not even going against the consensus in this case - 64 rotten reviews, not even including this one: Let’s not mince words: Beauty and the Beast is a terrible movie.

It is revealing that KJer's such as you, Libs, and _axiom find it distressing that I occasionally diagree with the consensus. The sanctity of the hivemind must be very important to you. It is also curious that you don't make any comment on the 85% of my reviews which happen to coincide with the consensus opinion.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:53 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Nah, I don't care what you think. But it's quite hilarious how similar you are to Armond White. Trolling for the hell of it. It's like it's your life mission.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:36 am
Angels & Demons

tree and a half wrote:
I found this new live action Beauty and the Beast to be an unpleasant experience. The tone was inconsistent, swinging back and forth from over-the-top to insipid. The overall look (lighting/art direction) was dingy and cheap, including much of the cgi (especially the Beast's face and the Beast's long range movement). Other than Kevin Kline, I didn't like the human casting - Emma Watson never seemed to be the smart woman she was supposed to be; Luke Evans didn't make a suitably dashing Gaston; Josh Gad was just pWhatever Melissa! Dis is bonafide hate speech hurr. Hater Alert Gurls!lain irritating. The character cgi was uninspired - Lumiere barely had the characteristics of a candelabra, rather just a little gold man; the rest of them just didn't have enough character portrayed in their faces - they left me cold. The movie was too long, at least a half hour should have been chopped - the original was 84 minutes, this is 129 minutes - it felt interminable. The songs came off muddied in sound, not the angelic fluency of the originals. I can't imagine a worse remake - this was awful. *F*

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:06 am
Wallflower

Saw it Tuesday and I thought it was great. Gorgeously done. Emma Watson is a perfect Belle and Luke Evans gives the best performance of everyone. He'd honestly deserve a Best Supporting Actor nomination. Stole the entire movie. My only real complaint is that it does drag a bit in the middle but I can forgive that. I haven't seen the animated version since I was a kid so I don't remember too much from it which helped my enjoyment.

9/10 (A-)

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:16 pm
Extraordinary

Better than I thought it would be.

I liked the new songs although they left out "Human Again" from the extended version of the animated (and from the play) and I recall another song from the play sung by Gaston when he first proposes to Belle that was pretty funny. Wish they had used those. I also missed the part where they sing "No one plots like Gaston / Takes cheap shots like Gaston / Plans to persecute harmless crackpots like Gaston" -- I love those lyrics.

I also enjoyed that they made LeFou's character a bit more nuanced and had him question Gaston along the way instead of just being a mindless follower.

The casting was great, and I enjoyed seeing (and hearing) Ian McKellan, Emma Thompson, Ewan McGregor and the others.

I thought Emma Watson wasn't, well, pretty enough to be Belle, who should be absolutely beautiful. I noticed that they had to make all the other women in the film average-looking in order to make Belle the most beautiful one in the town.

But quite enjoyable, especially in 3D.

Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Groucho wrote:

I thought Emma Watson wasn't, well, pretty enough to be Belle.

:nono: :nono: :nono:

Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next