Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Belko Experiment 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Belko Experiment 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post The Belko Experiment

Quote:
The Belko Experiment is a 2016 American horror film directed by Greg McLean and written by James Gunn. The film stars John Gallagher Jr., Tony Goldwyn, Adria Arjona, and Melonie Diaz. Filming began on June 1, 2015, in Bogotá, Colombia. The film premiered at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival on September 10, 2016. The film is scheduled to be released on March 17, 2017, in the United States, by Blumhouse Tilt and Orion Pictures. The production companies for the film are Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and the Safran Company, and the film will be distributed by Blumhouse Tilt and Orion Pictures.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:44 pm
Wallflower

Post Re: The Belko Experiment
I thought it was an entertaining flick. Surprisingly dark and disturbing at times.

8/10 (B+)

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:45 pm
Pure Phase

I enjoyed this crafty, nasty collaboration between James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy, Slither) and Greg McLean (Wolf Creek) a great deal. It is a dynamic genre film mining considerable dread and a potent amount of gallows humor from its high concept. The evolution of the central scenario—from modest bemusement to increasing paranoia to headlong carnage and chaos—is involving and well-paced, and the cast is full of distinctive and gifted character actors, including Tony Goldwyn, John C. McGinley (very frightening as a macho oaf with a vein of psychopathy just waiting for an outlet), Michael Rooker, and the charismatic John Gallagher, Jr. I was quite startled and surprised by a few of the twists and turns:
Spoiler: show
I expected the repairman played by Rooker to live longer and become a dominant player, and later I became convinced the Melonie Diaz character would be the lone survivor only for her to abruptly die.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:47 am
The Kramer

This looks alright, but I'm afraid its gonna reek of "this is what corporate America is really like!!!" I'll watch it on blu ray.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:32 pm
Extraordinary

An entertaining watch. The scene where people are being grouped and executed was rather effective.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:19 am
Forum General

I enjoyed this quite a bit as well. There are some insanely effective scenes that involve some truly disturbing/dark shit and I loved how they didn't pull any punches with the violence. It really surprises me how much they got away with because this definitely seemed to be pushing the boundaries of the R-rating.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:26 pm
now we know

I am glad I watched this. An awesomely brutal film. It's cool and it's dark. Loved it. Not sure how well it will hold up on repeat viewings, but for a first-time experience it is a very effective example of this concept (which, strangely, I feel has been done before, yet I cannot come up with a single title). All the players are great, especially John C. McGinley, who you just know is mental anyway, and Tony Goldwyn, who I have not seen since The 6th Day. On the one hand; I'd love to see sequels, and on the other; perhaps it's best as a stand-alone.

Oh, and it was lovely to see the Orion intro. Last time I saw that was before The Terminator. I thought they had stopped producing films.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]