Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Man Down 

Rate This Film
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Man Down 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Man Down

Quote:
Man Down is a 2015 American war thriller drama film directed by Dito Montiel and written by Adam G. Simon. The film stars Shia LaBeouf, Kate Mara, Gary Oldman, Jai Courtney and Jose Pablo Cantillo.

The film had its world premiere in the Horizon section at 72nd Venice International Film Festival on September 6, 2015.[1] It was released on December 2, 2016, by Lionsgate Premiere.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:36 am
now we know

Well, well, well, Dito has finally made a brilliant film. I feel like there have been many PTSD films in the last decade, but none have stood out like Man Down. Montiel has crafted a compelling and lean post-war thriller. It's nowhere near First Blood in terms of my overall love for the film, but it has an intense and personal quality which produces an involving experience. It amplifies the trauma in a more effective way than Ted Kotcheff's 1982 masterpiece, and despite the twist not being this one-for-the-ages shock, it is satisfying.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:42 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Man Down
This film's critical reception is mind-boggling. The fact that it only sold one ticket in its UK release is also a blip (albeit minor) on the track record of UK movie-goers. The release plan was strange. It should have played in indie and arthouse-friendly areas like London, not working class Lancashire.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:42 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Man Down
Man Down isn't a flawless film, but it's a good story carried by an equally good cast. I didn't read any of the reviews online, but the aggregated scores I saw make no sense to me now. The film is told from 3 moments in time, with the flashback one the most enjoyable one. Kate Mara really shined in those scenes and Jai Courtney is a pleasant addition to this film as well, perfect role for him really. Oldman was effective too, but that interrogation scene didn't really flow for me with the interruptions. Shia went through it quite mumbling, and aside from a somewhat providing a guided narrative this didn't add much to the film, but at least it had Oldman. And then the present/ imaginary situation lacked budget, but I also didn't like the veil it put on the environment. Perhaps we were supposed to feel the messed up mind but it felt off for me instead. It all comes good together in the end though. The realization his best friend comforted his wife while he went to the war first, Shia arriving home in a confused state and the story connecting of what's really going on outside of his mind. The cast and its strong PTSD message make it a good experience overall.

B

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]