Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Get Out 

Rate this film:
A 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

Get Out 
now we know

So this was pretty good. Eerie and weird thriller with loads of racial content. I couldn't really find any comedy in the film, but the mystery kept my interest. I'm not blown away by the film but it was an intriguing hour-and-forty-minutes.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 28, 2017 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: Get Out
Wow, the twist in this was SO obvious.

It was well made, thrilling and well acted, but it's pretty heavy handed with the "white people are racist even unintentionally! And they all have a secret desire to enslave the black man again!" message. I was expecting a bit more, but I can't say I wasn't sufficiently entertained.

B

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:03 pm
Cream of the Crop

tree and a half wrote:
Get Out would have make a great half hour Twilight Zone episode or it needed a lot more humor and a better director. Ho hum. *C*

Boom!

Get Out director Jordan Peele to reboot The Twilight Zone

[Note: Error edited in my original post.]

Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:20 am
Keeping it Light

Pretty good film. While not particularly impressive it has a nice feel to it. The script deserves credit, the cast does a good job, the parents stand out for me especially, and the lead and the gf fulfill good roles too (jeez, I don't remember any of their names, except the brother "Jeremy" played by Caleb Landry Jones who I've seen everywhere it seems (American Made, War on Everyone). I wouldn't call this either a horror or comedy either, more of a sci-fi with a dash of fun to it. The film is very likable upon first viewing, the "what's the mystery about" kept my attention but it felt a bit slow and the revelation and ending weren't that engaging for me finally. I started watching it a second time again though, and was enjoying it a lot more with how I caught onto the foreshadowing this time.

B+

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:49 pm
Keeping it Light

Magnus wrote:
this has become vastly overrated by the culture.

The same could be said about Wonder Woman.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:48 pm
now we know

It is true of both, but Get Out has much more to it than the shitty Wonder Wife.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Magnus wrote:
this has become vastly overrated by the culture.

It's definitely in contention as one of KJ's Most Overrated Movies of 2017.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:07 am
Keeping it Light

You put it as a solid flick in your yearly list, but it seems you actually feel more frustrated with it.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:19 pm
Keeping it Light

Magnus wrote:
Solid flick it is. A massive achievement in cinema it isn’t.

I agree with this, but I also feel I need to mention that I don't think Blade Runner 2049 is either, while that reaches high with its use of visuals it falters in terms of story telling compared to Get Out.

Magnus wrote:
People wanna be woke so they’ll convince themselves it is

Which, don't you agree is the same treatment Wonder Woman is getting?

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:42 pm
The Kramer

stuffp wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Solid flick it is. A massive achievement in cinema it isn’t.

I agree with this, but I also feel I need to mention that I don't think Blade Runner 2049 is either, while that reaches high with its use of visuals it falters in terms of story telling compared to Get Out.

Magnus wrote:
People wanna be woke so they’ll convince themselves it is

Which, don't you agree is the same treatment Wonder Woman is getting?
Yep and that's also why Ghost in the Shell and Atomic Blonde got 90% tomato scores and $400m box office.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:49 pm
The Kramer

Magnus wrote:
I’m offended by those who think Get Out is some revelation of cinema. And I haven’t seen any thinkpiece or analysis to make
me think differently.

If you want to praise the film, fine. I think it’s overrated AF. It isn’t as complex with its themes and messages, it’s third act is rushed and messy, and there is not sufficient dramatic tension or poignancy to it that created a strong emotional response other than white guilt (which I have none of cause I’m not white).
You are more than welcome to rant in my #RacismSolved thread after it wins best picture. :)

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:03 pm
Keeping it Light

Thanks.
And wouldn't you say Moonlight's status has been elevated higher because of social reasons too? The film and Ali robbed other performers of an award last year.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:29 pm
The Kramer

Magnus wrote:
I just think people are doing "after the fact" reviews of Get Out cause of the social impact it had. Moonlight was a film whose quality was recognized and appreciated from the start and didn't go up after the fact as Get Out is.

The Metacritic end of year list is a good example. Get Out got a 84 on MC yet is leading the year end lists by a noticeable margin that is not likely to change. All the other films near the top are all above 92 if not higher.

Going back, if you look at the top 5 of the same list MC has for other years, the films at the top have scores above 92. Get Out's 84 MC score topping the year end list would be the lowest MC score ever to top the year since MC started doing it and by a noticeable margin.

People are obviosuly allowed to revised their opinions on movies up or down after they initially review it. But it's concering when it seems external social reasons are pushing people to do so.
True, but I think that's just as much because of when it released. If it was released in oscar season, critics would be more self-conscious, knowing they were supposed to give it good ratings. In February people were just going to see a good movie and rated it accordingly.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:50 pm
Superman: The Movie

So I decided to give this another try. This is most likely going to get a (mostly) meaningless best picture nomination on Tuesday, and everyone still seems to love it. I must've been missing something.

I was wrong. This is a good movie. An unbelievably overrated good movie. The good news now though is that I'll at least better understand the best picture nomination on Tuesday. That saying, if it deserves any nomination on Tuesday its in the best original screenplay category. It is meticulously written and clever. There's something about the execution though in the first two acts that left me...bored? I can appreciate the liberal white racism portion of the movie (the auction/party) but there's something about the delivery (the guests) that feels kinda dumb. I can't really put my finger on it. It's both too much and not enough subtle racism.

But this time around though, I liked the ending much more. Rod is awesome. He's the kick in the ass this film needed. I also agree with David that Keener's death is a little too forgettable considering she probably deserves the most gruesome death of the four. But the built up rage you can sense in Chris comes through and it makes the payoff much more powerful. I also appreciated the deer head even more and the symbolism there.

A second viewing definitely helped. I said the first time that the movie was obvious but that might have been the point. It is. The obviousness is the point. Get. Out. But I don't know. A little mystery wouldn't have hurt.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:12 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It's a really good horror film and very creative script. I didn't really know where the plot was going twist wise so I enjoyed seeing the extent of the evil plot revealed. I liked some of the call backs like realizing why the housekeeper was running, or realizing that the Bingo scene was an auction. Or how making them get stopped by a cop car early makes you go "oh crap" when one pulls up at the end.

What really elevates this movie is the cast and I'm fine with Peele's nomination just on actor directing. There is so many great non-verbal moments in this movie, from Kaluuya's whole performance to the subtle way Whitford looks across the dinner table. Williams played the white girl trap well and I didn't predict her as a villain until it happened. But the show stealer is Howley as Rod. I disagree with the people who call this movie a comedy since I don't think there is any outside of Rod's scenes, but his are fucking gold.

One nitpick - why did the grandparents as the housekeeper and maid have to keep their ruse up after Chris was captured? The housekeeper could've been ordering his son around in the surgery room after Chris found out what's going on, which would've alerted the audience that he's the grandfather and the real mastermind

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:03 pm
now we know

Kaluya's performance is standard awkward boyfriend stuff. We all know why he's being nominated. Hollywood setting up another averagely talented actor to think he's the next Denzel.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Gamaur wrote:
I'm not being the dick here, you are.

Happy 33rd, Gamaur!

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:34 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Algren wrote:
Kaluya's performance is standard awkward boyfriend stuff. We all know why he's being nominated. Hollywood setting up another averagely talented actor to think he's the next Denzel.

Yeah I am really not sure of Kaluya's nomination. It was decent but its so standard stuff. Similar to last year's Supporting Acting nomination/win for Mahershala Ali.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:52 am
now we know

Ali's performance was good, but just so small and very laid back.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:08 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Finally saw this. It was very intense. Big fan.

A+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2