Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Get Out 

Rate this film:
A 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

Get Out 
Pure Phase

Post Get Out

Quote:
Get Out is a 2017 American horror film written and directed by Jordan Peele, marking his directorial debut. The film stars Daniel Kaluuya, Catherine Keener, Allison Williams, Bradley Whitford and Stephen Root.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:25 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Get Out
I really enjoyed this. The reasoning behind what's going on is kinda flimsy but other than that it's well made/acted, creepy and very entertaining.

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:35 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie is AWESOME. It's insanely well-written, perfectly balancing comedy and tension while also incorporating a very relevant social commentary throughout. It's one of the best horror scripts I've seen in years. It also is very well-directed for a first timer. The casting is pitch perfect across the board and all the actors give great performances. Daniel Kaluuya gives an excellent performance that transcends the genre, Alison Williams is a blast as are Catherine Keener and Bradley Whitford. Even the small players such as Lil Rel Howery (who's hilarious) and Betty Gabriel are excellent. Above all, it's super entertaining and a huge crowdpleaser. A

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:20 am
Profile YIM
Sbil

As helmed by Jordan Peele, Get Out may have the best balance of comedy and horror in any movie since the original Scream.

It's bold and razor sharp, a perfect horror flick for the age we're living in now. It's actually hard to believe Peele is a first-time filmmaker with how effectively composed this movie is. The film is unnerving as it burns slowly, then makes us uncomfortable and toys with our own notions of race and privilege, and then lets it all loose in a bonkers climax.

Great performances by the whole cast. Daniel Kaluuya is a sympathetic lead, and an appealing Allison Williams definitely has a future in movies if she wants one. I'll never be upset seeing Catherine Keener and/or Bradley Whitford in anything.

I also feel like special notice should be given to Lil Rel Howery, Keith Stanfield and Betty Gabriel, who are hilarious and extremely creepy, respectively.

Also, please try to see this with a crowd.

A-

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:31 pm
Extraordinary

This was incredible.

Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:22 am
Pure Phase

An entertaining and interesting fusion of comedy, social satire, and, first and foremost, suspense. My only caveat: after such a slow, but assured and diabolical buildup, I wish the climax went a step further, hit a bit harder. Simply put, I wanted the final stretch to be scarier. As a first-time feature director, Jordan Peele only falters when the film dives directly into action and violence: the way he stages uncertain, uncomfortable encounters (a microaggression here, a nervous glance there) is incredibly shrewd and potent. Daniel Kaluuya is a charismatic, sympathetic lead. Catherine Keener and Bradley Whitford are menacing and mysterious without any mustache-twirling theatricality or even raised voices.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:08 am
Pure Phase

The Keener character deserves a more memorable death/final scene.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:11 am
Extraordinary

It certainly doesn't compare to the white-knuckle terror in RINGS.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:16 am
Pure Phase

I am glad me finding Rings kind of okay is still on your mind, toots. ;)

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:20 am
Indiana Jones IV

There goes the 100% RT score...

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Great stuff and a dramatic improvement over last years Keanu. It still feels like a long sketch from the show, but not one that runs out of ideas 2/3rds of the way through. And I like how it sets the tone as a comedy right away, with that creepy car turning out to be really expensive Lambo.

I figured out the whole body switching thing from the trailers. That actually increased the suspense and tension though. The whole party scene was incredibly eerie, yet still remains comedic enough under or above the surface depending on how much you know. Being shown off as "the new black boyfriend" and being constantly asked about your blackness, even in the friendliest of ways, would make anyone uncomfortable. The smiling racism is not often tackled, white people who think they're doing good but are actually making things worse (like the Osc... ah nevermind :P ).

As a straight horror movie I'd give it a B+. It is an effective story that is well shot and has approrpiate music to go along with it. The comedic racial undertones set it above that. It deserves that 99%. The rare piece that informs the viewer of what its like to feel different without necessarily blaming anyone else. It would have been so easy to end the movie with a racist cop killing the main character, and everyone in the audience was expecting it. But instead they have the ability to know they've already done their job with the story they wanted to tell.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:44 pm
Wallflower

I thought it was very well-done. Funny and clever with really good performances. I was kind of under-whelmed by the finale. I thought it felt rushed and honestly a bit too obvious. I also thought it was lacking in the scares and suspense department. But it was still great and pretty original.

8/10 (A-)

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:28 am
Cream of the Crop

Get Out would have make a great half hour Twilight Episode or it needed a lot more humor and a better director. Ho hum. *C*

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:57 pm
Sbil

tree and a half wrote:
Get Out would have make a great half hour Twilight Episode or it needed a lot more humor and a better director. Ho hum. *C*

What a shocker.

I assume the grade would've been an A if it had a 25% Rotten Tomatoes score.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:19 am
Cream of the Crop

Libs wrote:
tree and a half wrote:

What a shocker.

I assume the grade would've been an A if it had a 25% Rotten Tomatoes score.

That's odd - you didn't say anything when our opinions coincided on movies such as Fifty Shades Darker, Split, 20th Century Women, Hidden Figures, Rogue One, Allied, Moana, Nocturnal Animals, Loving, Moonlight, The Accountant, The Girl On The Train, Deepwater Horizon, Bridget Jones's Baby, Snowden, Sully, Florence Foster Jenkins, Don't Breathe, Bad Moms, War Dogs, Nerve, Suicide Squad, Mike And Dave Need Wedding Dates, The Shallows, Love & Friendship, Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, The Nice Guys, Money Monster, The Meddler, Everybody Wants Some!!, The Boss, Batman v Superman, Eye In The Sky, Hello, My Name Is Doris, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Eddie The Eagle, Hail, Caesar!, The Danish Girl, Joy, Brooklyn, The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, and The Gift.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:20 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

You're very strange.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:29 am
Superman: The Movie

I thought Logan was going to be the most overrated movie of the year. Sure it was early, but no, no film could match it. Then I saw Get Out. It's not suspenseful, it's not scary, and it's pretty obvious. On the bright side it's somewhat clever and Peele's sense of humor comes through, but yeah...obvious. Then again, maybe Peele is trying to be obvious. It doesn't make for an entertaining movie, and certainly not deserving of the overwhelming praise, but good on ya. And he certainly has an eye for visuals. I might not be a big fan of this but I'm intrigued by what he does next as a director.

C

I loved when the crowd gasped at the Williams reveal. My thought: no shit, now hopefully the movie will do something fun with it. Outside of a deer head and playing off the expectations of a police car, nope, not much.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

This worked a lot better for me as a thriller with some dark humor thrown in. I never thought of it as a straight up horror/comedy because it's never scary enough or funny enough to reach either genre IMO, although there were good bits of tension and most of the comedy involving the TSA guy was pretty damn funny. Other than that it's very well directed/acted and I can't wait to see what Peele does next. He has a great eye for visuals and music as well.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:00 pm
Cream of the Crop

Jmart wrote:
I thought Logan was going to be the most overrated movie of the year. Sure it was early, but no, no film could match it. Then I saw Get Out. It's not suspenseful, it's not scary, and it's pretty obvious. On the bright side it's somewhat clever and Peele's sense of humor comes through, but yeah...obvious. Then again, maybe Peele is trying to be obvious. It doesn't make for an entertaining movie, and certainly not deserving of the overwhelming praise, but good on ya. And he certainly has an eye for visuals. I might not be a big fan of this but I'm intrigued by what he does next as a director.

C

I loved when the crowd gasped at the Williams reveal. My thought: no shit, now hopefully the movie will do something fun with it. Outside of a deer head and playing off the expectations of a police car, nope, not much.

Excuse me, but do you not realize that Get Out received a 99% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes?!?!? Please correct your grade to comply with the consensus opinion. Thank-you in advance.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:27 am
Sbil

tree and a half wrote:
Jmart wrote:

C

Excuse me, but do you not realize that Get Out received a 99% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes?!?!? Please correct your grade to comply with the consensus opinion. Thank-you in advance.

See, it's OK when Jmart or anyone else has a contrarian opinion because they actually mean what they're saying. Yours is an Armond White-esque ploy for attention.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:42 am
Cream of the Crop

Libs wrote:
See, it's OK when Jmart or anyone else has a contrarian opinion because they actually mean what they're saying. Yours is an Armond White-esque ploy for attention.
This is an instructive example of an attempt at the malicious technique known as silencing. I suggest that KJer's interested in rhetoric and debate in the modern age would do well to learn to recognize it and study it, so that it can less easily be used against them.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:03 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was good as a dark humor movie but it has zero horror elements and the ending comes too quickly with the setup taking its lavish time. The result is a good just not great movie though it surely is creepy. I liked Split more than this though.

6/10

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:12 pm
Defeats all expectations

A witty and well-thought out suspense movie that needs better execution. The "sunken place" sequence could be a scary idea if handled with better cinematography and graphics. The movie works well as a suspense movie. The first half nicely builds up the tension with the family's strange behavior that gradually gets stranger. The second half opens with the big revelation that sensibly completes the jigsaw puzzle in the first half and makes one sneer at the family, though it ends with a typical and weak escape/revenge.

Writer-director Jordan Peele has improved his writing and directing from his last effort Keanu. The plot is much more focused and structured this time. The film feels more even and smooth (and less talky). There are some good casting choices. Daniel Kaluuya can act with his eyes in the lead role. The maid Georgina (played by Betty Gabriel) is really creepy.

71/100 (B)

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:28 pm
Angels & Demons

Totally over confusing.

C-.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:53 am
100% That Bitch

A-
Deserves every cent it made

Tongue Pop!