Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Thoroughbreds 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Thoroughbreds 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Thoroughbreds

Quote:
Thoroughbreds (also known as Thoroughbred at the time of its 2017 Sundance Film Festival release) is an American drama thriller film written and directed by Cory Finley, in his directorial debut. It stars Olivia Cooke, Anya Taylor-Joy, Anton Yelchin (in his final role), Paul Sparks, and Francie Swift.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:15 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Thoroughbred
This movie is the best movie I saw at Sundance this year and will probably end up being one of my favorites of 2017. It's an awesome, deliciously twisted and consistently surprising blast that is the most fun I've had at the movies in a while. It's best to go into this movie knowing as little about it as possible. It's largely a two-hander between Olivia Cooke and Anya Taylor-Joy as two teenage sociopaths, and they are both incredible in this movie and play so well off each other. As things gradually develop over the film's four 'chapters,' the tension builds and builds - until a dark and surprising climax. In addition to the two fantastic performances from Cooke and Taylor-Joy, both on their way to blowing up as two of Hollywood's hottest young actresses, everything else about this movie just works. It's expertly written and directed by first time filmmaker Cory Finley - it looks gorgeous and has perfect pacing as well as an eerie and atmospheric score. This is a Hitchockian thriller at its best and I am so happy it has found a home at Focus. It deserves to be a new classic of the genre. A

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:17 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Very excited for this one.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:45 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Saw this again yesterday and it's still awesome. Can't believe it took over a year for Focus to release it.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:11 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

Poor Amanda. She was maybe a little too empathetic for her own good, or at least for a sociopath. ( :wink: ) At the very least, maybe a little too honest.

Next time you save your friend from “drowning”, make sure they actually care about you.

B+

I would’ve killed him for the rowing machine alone.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Yes, good film. It's not especially deep or revelatory, but it is nicely shot and crisply written, and it perfectly captures the rich-bitch caricature. The film also oozes a sort of anemia, just like its main characters. Anya Taylor-Joy is superb. And actually Anton Yelchin leaves it to his final performance to put in a good one. Very impressed with him here. I think I like the idea, the presentation, and the marketing of the film more so than the actual film. I want it to be that lone indie at the top of my yearly list, but while it is fine, it never becomes the classic that it is dressed as.

Anya Taylor-Joy is viciously sexy here. Cooke is probably the more "beautiful", but she's so miserable that it's hard to care. Taylor-Joy is striking, and if I were to meet both I know which one would make my heart beat faster.

B+

Sat May 26, 2018 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re: Thoroughbreds
I kept hoping my theater would get it but they never did. Almost drove 2 hours to see it but now that I finally got to see it I'm glad I didn't. I really liked it, but it's definitely underwhelming compared to my expectations and wouldn't have been worth the drive. My thoughts pretty much echo Algren's on this one. Both actresses are really good. It's a well-shot film. It just doesn't have that something extra to make it a great one.

8/10 (B+)

Sat May 26, 2018 3:59 pm
now we know

Sat May 26, 2018 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Really solid flick, but my thoughts don't deviate much from everyone else's. It's nothing super memorable, but Anya Taylor-Joy who looks incredibly sexy in this, and Olivia Cooke really do propel this movie beyond something that's just average IMO. My favorite character in this film was easily Anton Yelchin though and while he doesn't have a whole lot of screen time I loved every minute when his character showed up. Sad to see that the dude is gone now, but this wasn't a bad final role for him.

B+

Mon May 28, 2018 11:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]