Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Ingrid Goes West 

Rate This Film
A 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Ingrid Goes West 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Ingrid Goes West

Quote:
Ingrid Goes West is a American comedy-drama film directed by Matt Spicer and written by Spicer and David Branson Smith. The film stars Aubrey Plaza, Elizabeth Olsen, O'Shea Jackson Jr., Wyatt Russell, and Billy Magnussen.

It premiered in competition at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:14 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Ingrid Goes West
This movie was great! It's a spot-on depiction of our society's obsession with social media and is equally laugh-out-loud hilarious and sad. It's anchored by a transcendent, honest and heartbreaking performance from Aubrey Plaza in a role that finally gives her the strong material she deserves. She absolutely blew me away - it's an incredibly tricky character who has to be equal parts terrifying yet still sympathetic - and Plaza just nails it. Her monologue near the end of the film about her own self-worth just gutted me. It's a fantastic performance and i hope it doesn't get lost in the shuffle later this year. Also great is Elizabeth Olsen in her strongest role since her breakout in Martha Marcy May Marlene. She just nails that vapid twenty-something persona and has a magnetism that allows you to totally buy Ingrid's obsession with her character. Also worth mentioning is O'Shea Jackson Jr. who is easily the movie's most likable character and has a surprisingly lovely chemistry with Plaza. The movie tackles some serious issues but ultimately remains quite light and entertaining. There are quite a few scenes that are fucking hilarious (the opening scene, and Olsen's photo shoot sequence in the desert are so great) including what might be the best sex scene of the year. It's a spiritual successor to To Die For and Welcome To Me. Such a lovely surprise. A-

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:08 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:43 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I actually saw this again a few weeks ago and I've raised my grade to an A. I love this movie - it's easily one of the best movies of the year right now for me. It's so fucking hilarious and spot-on about what it is satirizing. Elizabeth Olsen is also amazing in it - I appreciated her performance even more during my second viewing.

There are so many great, quotable lines. The screenplay would actually make my end of the year list right now as one of the best as well.

"Damn girl, that looks yummy as fuck! What's your email address?" :funny:

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:42 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I thought this was great. Aubrey Plaza, Elizabeth Olsen, and O'Shea Jackson Jr. are all terrific.

8/10 (A-)

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:27 am
Cream of the Crop

Ingrid Goes West is a quirky charmer with a downright dark streak. Bittersweetly funny and thought-provoking. Yet another great performance in the Aubrey Plaza pantheon. *A+*

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:06 pm
now we know

I've got to say, I loved this film. In essence, it is a Gen Z remake of Single White Female. But it is gripping how well it remakes it with Instagram to break the ice. Aubrey Plaza is terrific. She was born to play that awkward stalker type. My favourite scene is the Catwoman scene. Not just because it is incredibly sexy for a girl to perform in such a way for a guy, but also because it shows Ingrid at her conniving and insincere best while still maintaining realism (yes, kidnapping someone is a tad far-fetched). The film is a perfect and unfortunately sad depiction of our obsession with ourselves (social media is just an avenue; it's ourselves that we are obsessed with) and of our passion for leading fake lives (and how easy it is to do so) and convincing ourselves that it is real.

B+

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

It is not a particularly funny film. I laughed once. But then I do have a very hard time finding women funny. So I wouldn't say it is a comedy. But it is light, and deep if you want it to be. It could be used to study social science.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeah I also thought this was great. A very realistic and disturbing depiction of social media obsession that hits you pretty hard in some scenes. Aubrey Plaza is so fucking good here, and I found it interesting how they were able to pull off making a character that would usually be the villain in any other movie so sympathetic yet scary as shit as the same time. I guess a lot of that credit goes towards the strong writing and Plaza's performance, but damn was I surprised that they were able to pull something like that off. Elizabeth Olsen and O'Shea Jackson Jr. are really solid too and the more I see of Wyatt Russell the more I'm starting to really like the guy as an actor. After Cold in July, 22 Jump Street, Goon: Last of the Enforcers and this I can definitely see him becoming as versatile of an actor as his legendary father.

Also, you guys weren't kidding about that sex scene. Easily, the hottest thing I have ever seen and I don't think I will look at Catwoman the same for a while lol.

B+

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:14 am
Keeping it Light

There's too many great reviews for me to not watch this soon.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:08 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

There's absolutely no way this movie won't make my top five of the year at this point. It's so amazing. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since Sundance. I honestly do think it should be required viewing for people in their 20s/early 30s.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:28 am
Profile YIM
now we know

As in; if you do not watch it you will be fined or prosecuted?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:22 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This is a nice film. Aubrey Plaza is excellent and carries the film, but O'Shea Jackson shines in a supporting role too. This definitely turned out better than I expected, the good reviews drew me to this finally, and they're pretty much spot on. I didn't love this, but it's a very good drama about social media and mental illness.

B+

Thu May 03, 2018 1:39 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I quite liked this movie specially the acting and the message its based on. Aubrey Plaza was amazing here whereas Olsen and Jackson were good as well. The only problem with the movie is that it sometimes tries too hard to be funny but fails. And yes the sex scene was great.

6/10

Mon May 07, 2018 11:55 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I bring this movie up in conversations regularly as a must watch. I legit think it’s a new favorite of mine.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:40 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]