Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Silence (2016) 

Rate This Film
A 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Silence (2016) 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Silence (2016)

Quote:
Silence is a 2016 American epic historical drama film directed by Martin Scorsese and written by Jay Cocks and Scorsese, based upon the 1966 novel of the same name by Shūsaku Endō. While the story is set in Nagasaki, Japan, the film was shot entirely in Taipei, Taiwan. The film stars Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, Liam Neeson, Tadanobu Asano and Ciarán Hinds.[5] The plot follows two 17th century Jesuit priests who travel from Portugal to Japan in order to locate their missing mentor and spread Catholicism.

A long-time passion project of Scorsese's, which he had developed for over 25 years, the film premiered in Rome on November 29, 2016,[6] and was released in the United States on December 23, 2016. The film was chosen by American Film Institute as one of the Top Ten Films of 2016.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:11 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Silence
... didn't really like it. Too damn long and maybe it was the subject matter but I couldn't get invested in it. I thought Garfield was very good though.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:27 pm
Sbil

Post Re: Silence
This is a film that is often exquisitely composed and has scattered moments of beauty and insight, but it's also far too long and borders on self-indulgence at times. It seems clear that this was a bit of a passion project for Scorsese outside of his norm, but that doesn't necessarily mean the film is great. Andrew Garfield is very good, though I think I preferred his performance in Hacksaw Ridge. Adam Driver and Liam Neeson have relatively little to do, although Issei Ogata delivers a superlative, standout supporting performance. There might be more appeal for people with stronger religious convictions than myself. It's certainly a film I would recommend, though I have reservations. B

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:09 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Silence (2016)
In the 1600s, two Portuguese priests (Adam Driver and Andrew Garfield) covertly travel to Japan to investigate the rumor their revered mentor (a gaunt Liam Neeson) renounced his faith amid extensive, brutal persecutions of Christians by the country's feudal military government. Upon landing, they are embraced by farming and fishing communities still practicing the Western religion in secret. If discovered, Japan’s clandestine adherents of Christ face torture until they either apostatize or perish. God's silence (His reluctance, if even real, to directly guide or help humanity) in combination with the cruelty visited upon the Japanese Christians weighs particularly heavily upon one of the foreign priests. Silence is one of director Martin Scorsese's finest and most ambitious films. It is a punishing experience to a certain extent, yes—austere in tone; deliberate in pace; unyielding in its depiction of degradation and scarcity; nearly three hours long—but it is also incredibly fascinating and rewarding, a handsomely photographed and thematically complex drama of doubt, faith, and violence with moments of grandeur and sadism the viewer will not soon forget. Further establishing himself among the most gifted actors of his generation, Garfield delivers a visceral performance as flawed protagonist Father Rodrigues. He conveys the way faith is almost a physical experience for the character and the consuming anguish he endures when it is contradicted or tested. Also superb is veteran Japanese character actor Issey Ogata; his portrayal of an influential inquisitor targeting Christians (an intellectual force rather than just a one-note antagonist) is colorful, enigmatic, and, when required, supremely eerie.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:04 pm
loyalfromlondon

best movie of the year, magnus will hate it.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:40 pm
Cream of the Crop

Silence is an uncommonly thoughtful film. It is at once a philosophical criticism of evangelism and a sly declaration of faith. The cinematography and editing is immaculate and the acting is divine. Director Martin Scorcese uses every one of the 161 minutes to breathe life into the culture of 17th century Japan that was one of the few to successfully repel the Christian advance psy-ops squad missionaries from establishing a beachhead for colonization. *A*

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:44 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was a powerful film. I really liked how being long doesn't hinder the movie at all. Scorsese has done it again and all the actors do great here specially Garfield. Driver and Neeson is small roles are good as well. The Japanese characters I don't know a lot of their names do brilliant and each arc you really relate to one of them either through love or hate. This was one of the best movies of 2016 and its a shame it went unnoticed.

8/10

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]